• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

So apparently Arran is actually a hamster

happysaz133

Wise Old Thumper
So I'm in the garden, sitting by the rabbit run, just talking to them, feeding them some noms etc, and a man wanders over. The conversation goes like this...

Him: They are beautiful.
Me: Thanks, I agree with you!
Him: So what kind of hamster is that?
Me: Excuse me?
Him: That little one, what kind of hamster is he, a dwarf?
Me: No, they are all rabbits.
Him: No, that little brown and grey one.
Me: Yes, he is a rabbit too.
Him: But he doesn't look like the other two.
Me: That's just because he is a different breed of rabbit, he is a Netherland Dwarf, the other two are Dwarf Lops.
Him: So he's definitely not a hamster?
Me: No, they are all definitely rabbits.
Him: Those big boys are nice.
Me: They are actually both girls, the little one is a boy.
Him: But boy animals are bigger than girls.
Me: Not when they are different breeds.
Him: Oh, so do you breed them?
Me: No, they are all spayed and neutered.
Him: Oh, I didn't know you could do that to hamsters.

At that point, I gave up :roll: Seriously, I know this guy was from Australia, and they don't have hamsters in Australia, but surely he knows what a rabbit is! :shock:

You have to laugh. :lol: Especially as he was dead serious the whole time. In the end I just smiled and got them out for him to stroke them, then he carried on his way. I do hope I educated him somewhat, but I doubt it! :lol:

ETA: Just so you can judge for yourselves...my trio of hamsters :lol:
buns.jpg

Last edited:
I tried really hard to not laugh while I'm in bed and its too quiet!
But gave up !

Too funny, do the french love their children

:shock::shock::shock:

You should have got your hamsters and showed him the difference :lol:

:shock: Yikes, there's some worrying people where you live too :lol:

Mostly when they're in the carry case. I've had people miaow at me in the street. And when they were inside bunnies and slept in the hallway anyone that came to the door just assumed they were cats too.

People are weird.

One of my OH's friends came to stay in December and he's an Aussie and he was amazed that a) hamster were lovely animals full of character b) that rabbits could have such differing personality, be so lovable, look so different and weren't just for shooting and eating.

I don't think Aussie's have pet hamsters and rabbits. My OH's friend was extremely shocked but was quickly besotted by my lot - they know how to get a new servant to pamper them. :roll:

This is one Aussie who has pet rabbits and has done for the last 20 years.

Hamsters are not available here.

I wouldn't mind some of these though::love:

bilbysinahat2.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

brilliant!

I once was asked how old Barney was because 'he's really big so he must be really old'. Because rabbits never stop growing obviously :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

brilliant!

I once was asked how old Barney was because 'he's really big so he must be really old'. Because rabbits never stop growing obviously :lol:

someone once said my yorkies must be really old because they had silver hair :lol: (they were like 3 yrs old at the time) I can more easily see how they'd think though.

*snort* People are so funny!

I've had lots of people assuming mine are cats (because of the carrier), somebody in the vet once thought they were guinea pigs and somebody else knew they were rabbits but didn't call them lops - she called them something else (I can't remember what now) but it made me chuckle.

Oh, and we had a workman here once and he saw the kennel and run and asked if I kept hamsters in there ........ :oops::lol:

Back