• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there any way of telling if a doe is spayed?

As title, and preferably without surgery!

Summer is a rescue I've had for a while. She was found as a stray so the rescue didn't know if she was spayed or not. She bonded well so I left her to it, but now she's on her own for a while I thought it would be a good opportunity to have her spayed if she isn't already. She doesn't act like a hormonal female in any way. Her husbun to be is being castrated on wednesday, so perhaps she could go too!

Not really. There are blood tests that test hormone levels but I'm not sure how effective they are. Sometimes when shaved you can see a scar which would indicate a spay but that's about it really.

Not really. There are blood tests that test hormone levels but I'm not sure how effective they are. Sometimes when shaved you can see a scar which would indicate a spay but that's about it really.

This is what my vet said, and also said even if they have a scar it might not have been from being spayed.

Sucks! Guess I'll just book her in at some point then. I've always had this niggly feeling she's not spayed, and I suppose there truly is only one way of finding out! Thanks :wave:

X-ray or ultrasound? Most the time though the vets wont be able to say for certain so they'd have to open her up anyway :( It's a shame she might have to have a ga if it's already been done but hopefully they'll know quickly if she's already spayed and get her woken up before she's under the anaesthetic for too long.

There is another way :wave: if you find a vet with small enough laparoscopic equipment. It's called a vaginoscopy. The vet is looking for the presence of the cervix, if it is not there then the doe has been spayed, if it is then she hasn't. It does require sedation but is the least invasive way to be completely certain.

Back