• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having indoor rabbits

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

This is a long way off yet, but its just an idea in my head. At the moment, we have a dog living downstairs and a cat living upstairs. Our cat is elderly and I'm just thinking to the future when she will no longer be here. :(

I'm thinking about having a couple of indoor bunnies to live upstairs. They'll have 3 bedrooms and a bathroom to roam around, and the stairs will be blocked off by a stairgate (this will have plywood across it to prevent them sticking their heads through the bars of the gate).

If they had access to the whole upstairs all day, could they live in a dog crate with run attached at night? (between 10pm-6am locked up).

Do you leave your bunnies out all day unsupervised?

Could you shut them in one room at night? if I had a four that's what I would be doing.

I just shut daisy in her bedroom at night. I never used to shut her in one room but she kept trying to wake me up in the night by scratching my bedroom door!

If i were you id keep them out the bathroom, Daisy has tried to climb in the bath (it was empty at the time) and also tried to climb in the toilet!

I think a dog crate and run would be ok for the night time, but if you could block of wires in one room and shut them in there at night and let them use the other rooms as well during the day, that would be good :)

Ours are in their pen (6x4 ish with levels) during the night and while we're at work. They free-range for about half an hour in the mornings and 5 hours every evening, and all day probably 3-4 days a weeks (weekends and when OH works from home).

I honestly think they're fine with this, although I have started leaving them out just on the landing too when I'm not in so they have more space if they want it(OH not in agreement with this, so I haven't told him!).

Back