• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poorly Rabbit

blyth1991

New Kit
i got my 2 dwarf rabbits roughly about 2 maybe 3 months ago we got brother and sister from a friend. for about 1 month of having them we started noticing changed in the girl when we first got her she wouldnt let you pick her up and since about 1 month ago shes let you pick her up about 3 weeks ago we noticied she had a hole in her back were you could see straight through it had dry blood around the hole which shows it had been bleeding and its got bigger since it about the size of a 2 pound coin and lately we have noticed she has one on her nose i asked for info of someone else and they said it could be were she is shedding fur but i didnt think this was right because it is bleeding and has no hair its just a hole straight through and recently noticed the one on her face which is about the size of a 2p we havent picked her up as we are worried incase of desieases would anyone be able to help us and any answers we could try thankyou

You need to take her to a rabbit savvy vet immediately.

Are your rabbits vaccinated at all?

See needs a vet. Are they neutered? It sounds to me like they are fighting and that she has sustained a wound, please get her to a vet asap, wounds easily turn to abscesses in rabbits.

poorly rabbits

what does that mean .. didnt realise you had to take rabbits to get them done ... the lady we bought them from didnt mention anything ?

what does that mean .. didnt realise you had to take rabbits to get them done ... the lady we bought them from didnt mention anything ?

Okay, going to go for a basic rundown;

Rabbits need to be vaccinated against the following;

a) myxomatosis (every 6 months)
b) VHD (every 12 months)

Female rabbits need to be spayed to prevent cancer and hormonal behaviour and to stop them becoming pregnant.

Male rabbits need to be neutered to prevent cancer and hormonal behaviour and to stop them impregnating a female.

You need to take your buns to a vet, for possible pain relief and antibiotics, as wounds can easily become infected.

I agree with everyone. It's possible if it's not treated now it could get a lot worse which is bad for the rabbit and will cost you more.

If it's bite wounds it will be best to get the boy neutered to calm him down. Then you can get the other one neutered later when she's all healed up. They'll be much happier overall, calmer with you and each other.

It could also be myxi, which I think is what GrahamL was getting as which DEFFINIETLY needs a vet. How are her eyes?

Definitely visit the vet ASAP. My rabbit recently had a wound on his ear, was small but quickly ulcerated, all healed now thanks to my vet and some antibiotics gel.

I would also definitely suggest you get your rabbits neutered/spayed. Mine have been separate since the wound waiting to be old enough to get done, which is very soon.

Good luck, please update us all with whats happening.

You have had plently of advice about what you asked about.
An important side note: I didn't see if anyone had mentioned but if you have a boy and a girl living together, then you may be in for some unwanted surprised before long unless at least one of them is spayed/neutered which it sounds like they aren't.
How old are they/where they when you got them, as they become fertile anywhere around 10-12 weeks I believe (don't quote me on this though). Gestation(pregnancy length) is something like 60 days(again, only vaguely recall this info!)

I can only stress what others have said - I'm afraid your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet urgently.

Please let us know how she gets on at the vets.

(Incidentally, I thought gestation was only about 30-ish days)

I can only stress what others have said - I'm afraid your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet urgently.

Please let us know how she gets on at the vets.

(Incidentally, I thought gestation was only about 30-ish days)

30-32 days i believe, yes :)

I do hope that bun has already seen a vet, as OP hasn't been back since :(

Back