• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Today is the day we start bonding - ADDED PHOTOS

clarebear

Mama Doe
I have until next Wednesday, when I have to go back to work!

Plan to set up the playpen in the front room and bring in Bramble and Bungee. They've had a few dates, and seem to get on well, but this is it now.

Please keep your paws crossed!

Last edited:
Well....Bramble and Bungee went in together in the playpen yesterday lunchtime, and they've been in ever since. No problems at all! :)

They slept snuggled up close together last night.....I was on the sofa next to them. They've been grooming each other, and generally seem very relaxed.

Do you think I should keep them in for another night. I think I trust them enough now to go into a hutch together.

It sounds like a very easy bond. :D Personally I would keep them in another night to be sure though as, very often, a move to a different space can 'set them off'.

Was tempted to put them into one hutch and get a baby monitor, so I could listen out for any problems.....but maybe another night indoors would be best.

I would definitely leave them where they are for another night, it's common for buns to start bickering if they're moved soon into a bond and I have known seemingly loved up buns completely break the bond all because of being moved too soon, for the sake of an extra night it's just not worth the risk. Please make sure you completely neutralise the hutch if one of them has previously lived in it - ideally use the male's one rather than the females; rinse it with vinegar all over to get rid of scent, move it if you can and make sure bowls, racks, trays etc are put in different places...basically everything possible so that the original bun doesn't recognise it as their hutch. Good luck, sounds as if things are going great :)

I would definitely leave them where they are for another night, it's common for buns to start bickering if they're moved soon into a bond and I have known seemingly loved up buns completely break the bond all because of being moved too soon, for the sake of an extra night it's just not worth the risk. Please make sure you completely neutralise the hutch if one of them has previously lived in it - ideally use the male's one rather than the females; rinse it with vinegar all over to get rid of scent, move it if you can and make sure bowls, racks, trays etc are put in different places...basically everything possible so that the original bun doesn't recognise it as their hutch. Good luck, sounds as if things are going great :)

Yes I don't want to tempt fate, so I will keep them in for another night I think.

I'm going to use Bramble's (my boy bun) hutch, so that's good! What sort of vinegar should I use? I was just going to use Clean and Safe?

We also thought of joining their two hutches and runs together with a tube to make one big one, until we get a larger one for them both. Would this be okay?

Bramble and Bungee exploring their 'bonding den' yesterday.

001emx.jpg

This morning, having a snuggle together :love:

003horh.jpg

i feel a right idiot right now crying seeing how her life couldnt be anybetter!
thankyou both so much hunny you have made me such a happy woman!:love::love::love::love:

Oh how lovely!! What a fantastic bond!! :love:

Shouldnt you slowly increase space first though? Then let them in the hutch? I'm new to it myself so i am probably taking through my bum hole!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yes I don't want to tempt fate, so I will keep them in for another night I think.

I'm going to use Bramble's (my boy bun) hutch, so that's good! What sort of vinegar should I use? I was just going to use Clean and Safe?

We also thought of joining their two hutches and runs together with a tube to make one big one, until we get a larger one for them both. Would this be okay?

White vinegar is the usual sort to use, but I've just used malt vinegar before now! Does clean & safe really smell? I know we usually want to use cleaners that don't smell much, but to neutralise things, it's best to use something really stinky like vinegar as it really will strip out the bun odour (still needs rinsing thoroughly afterwards though.

With the hutches and runs, could you join the two runs together but just stick with the one hutch, would that work? If there is sufficient covered space with one hutch, I'd be inclined not to add a separate 'living' space as it could end up with them reverting back to a hutch each and that wouldn't help their bond. All buns are different though so you could see how it goes and see what you think will work for them. But don't attach them yet, they do need to have their space increased slowly, so I would only let them into the hutch first if possible, and then the hutch and run, and then the other run, leaving a good few days between each change, so that they have time to establish and keep their bond solidly before things change again. Sounds like it's going great though - and they look gorgeous together :love:

I'm glad the bonding is going so well. :thumb:

I'm hoping that Izzy will be bonding with a wife soon - I have everything crossed that it goes this smoothly - he really deserves it. :bunny:

Oh how lovely!! What a fantastic bond!! :love:

Shouldnt you slowly increase space first though? Then let them in the hutch? I'm new to it myself so i am probably taking through my bum hole!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Good thinking - that makes sense! :wave:

White vinegar is the usual sort to use, but I've just used malt vinegar before now! Does clean & safe really smell? I know we usually want to use cleaners that don't smell much, but to neutralise things, it's best to use something really stinky like vinegar as it really will strip out the bun odour (still needs rinsing thoroughly afterwards though.

With the hutches and runs, could you join the two runs together but just stick with the one hutch, would that work? If there is sufficient covered space with one hutch, I'd be inclined not to add a separate 'living' space as it could end up with them reverting back to a hutch each and that wouldn't help their bond. All buns are different though so you could see how it goes and see what you think will work for them. But don't attach them yet, they do need to have their space increased slowly, so I would only let them into the hutch first if possible, and then the hutch and run, and then the other run, leaving a good few days between each change, so that they have time to establish and keep their bond solidly before things change again. Sounds like it's going great though - and they look gorgeous together :love:

Me and OH have just been outside to look at the hutches and runs and decide what to do....and we are going to do exactly as you said and just attach both runs to Bramble's original hutch! Good idea to introduce more space slowly too. Bramble's hutch isn't huge, but the run will be just over 10 feet! They've always spent most of their time in their runs anyway, so hopefully this will be fine, and then we will get a much bigger hutch eventually too. OH is desperate to make one for them! I'm so exicited about it all, and so pleased it's going so well so far. I'm off to start scrubbing the hutch out!

Thanks for all your help. I've never done anything like this before, so it's really appreciated :wave:

Bramble and Bungee's litter trays are cat ones that I brought from our local pet shop. Only about £3 I think. :wave:

Back