• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Base for Wendy House/shed

Babsie

Wise Old Thumper
If I bought a wendy house/play house/shed, would it be ok to put on paving that's already down on my patio or would I need to have a proper concrete base built? I'm sick of getting rained/snowed on when cleaning out hutch and thought it would be warmer for my rabbits.

I normally just plonk the wendy house straight on the paving, but I've also made timber bases from treated wood from Wickes too. That way it's not the wendy house that touches the slabs (which can rot the wood in time) but it's the base that you make - easily replaced and cheaper than having to replace the whole thing. The stronger base is also generally more rigid that the lighter weight barers that come with most wendy houses.

Some of our wendys actually stand on these bases but I've added small legs so that the uneven ground underneath doesn't matter as it's only the legs that need to be level.

Have fun.

I normally just plonk the wendy house straight on the paving, but I've also made timber bases from treated wood from Wickes too. That way it's not the wendy house that touches the slabs (which can rot the wood in time) but it's the base that you make - easily replaced and cheaper than having to replace the whole thing. The stronger base is also generally more rigid that the lighter weight barers that come with most wendy houses.

Some of our wendys actually stand on these bases but I've added small legs so that the uneven ground underneath doesn't matter as it's only the legs that need to be level.

Have fun.

The wooden base sounds a good idea - but can you give me clue as to how I make one as I'm a complete numpty with DIY or even visualising.:oops:

I just make a square (or the same footprint as the base board of the wendy) by scewing four pieces of structural timber together (or you can use braces like these from Aldi or similar to secure the corners http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_20318.htm

Then I simply add cross members going from one side to the other by putting them inside the frame and screwing from the outside (bit like a fat ladder). The braces need to be going the opposite way to the barers on the existing wendy house so that they give extra support (by forming crosses where they touch).

I shall (weather permitting) be making a base over the weekend for our new dog kennel and will take photos as I go.

I just make a square (or the same footprint as the base board of the wendy) by scewing four pieces of structural timber together (or you can use braces like these from Aldi or similar to secure the corners http://aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_20318.htm

Then I simply add cross members going from one side to the other by putting them inside the frame and screwing from the outside (bit like a fat ladder). The braces need to be going the opposite way to the barers on the existing wendy house so that they give extra support (by forming crosses where they touch).

I shall (weather permitting) be making a base over the weekend for our new dog kennel and will take photos as I go.

Thank you. If you could post 'work in progress' photos that would be really helpful. Have also been looking at dog kennels/runs with a top on the run bit, leading to an ordinary run. Decisions!

Back