• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

BEWs and REWs vision

I know REWs have poor eye sight, but what about BEWs? I sometimes wonder if Skyes vision is all that great, she spends a lot of time periscoping and gets startled quite easily.

Is there a way a vet can test their eye sight?

I've two REWs and the scanning thing they do is a sign - they are just trying to figure things out. I'd say Daisys sight was worse and Lillys isnt too bad. Lucky spends a lot of time periscoping (more than the girls) - and he gets startled a lot - but i suspect he has hearing problems as he's very much unresponsive to sound - unlike the other two.

I have mentioned it to the vet - he's said i am probably right but has never suggested confirming this for either of them. What good would it do? You just manage doing things with just being aware of their needs, i suppose??

I've two REWs and the scanning thing they do is a sign - they are just trying to figure things out. I'd say Daisys sight was worse and Lillys isnt too bad. Lucky spends a lot of time periscoping (more than the girls) - and he gets startled a lot - but i suspect he has hearing problems as he's very much unresponsive to sound - unlike the other two.

I have mentioned it to the vet - he's said i am probably right but has never suggested confirming this for either of them. What good would it do? You just manage doing things with just being aware of their needs, i suppose??

Shes very responsive to sound, but has selective hearing :lol:

It wouldnt make any difference, but its nice to know one way or another. I might end up thinking shes half blind, when actually shes fine!

Shes very responsive to sound, but has selective hearing :lol:

It wouldnt make any difference, but its nice to know one way or another. I might end up thinking shes half blind, when actually shes fine!

I treat mine like they are blind and deaf :lol::lol::lol: I try not to startle them - but end up doing so anyway- whatever i try! :lol::lol:

I have a REW who is blind (two others previously, one of whom was blind is one eye and the other probably mostly blind) and two BEWs. I think one of my BEWs is very deaf, but with sight they don't scan and seem to be able to see, BUT, they seem to have the most sensitive eyes to sunlight ever. Moreso than the REWs, in my experience.

We've put a gazebo over their run to keep the sunlight out. :) Daisy really doesnt like to be out in it.

I have a REW who is blind (two others previously, one of whom was blind is one eye and the other probably mostly blind) and two BEWs. I think one of my BEWs is very deaf, but with sight they don't scan and seem to be able to see, BUT, they seem to have the most sensitive eyes to sunlight ever. Moreso than the REWs, in my experience.

Yes i noticed this! Poor Skye cowers in teh middle of the run with her eyes shut if i dont cover it up, bless her!

I've noticed that with Buckley. He can't stand it, he always shuts his eyes in a squinty way. OH's mom thinks I'm stupid for not opening the blinds some days but it's because if it's a sunny day he'll just cower underneath his shelf and not do anything.

we once had a REW many years ago called Snowy, and the vet thought he could not see very well and had poor vision, he used to bob his head up and down alot and scanned about as if trying yo get a better view of things, he also was very aggressive and bit alot but we think it was because his vision was poor :(
i currently have an albino guinea pig with red eyes and she doesn't like it if the sun is very bright and squints if she is in the sunshine so i try and shade her and not let her be in the sunshine

I don't know for sure, but I suspect Spenser's vision is about as good as a REWs gets. He very rarely scans, although he may remeber the rooms of the house he only occasionally visits. He scanned all the time when he first arrived, but I expect that was just part of settling in.

Barney is a BEW and has difficulty finding food. He also bites if your hands smell like certain foods. He's also deaf. Dont really know what scanning looks like....

I read somewhere (possibly on here?) that some BEWs have a red tinge to their eyes, not in normal light, but in some lights you can see it. And these BEWs are likely to have the same sight problems REWs do.

Scannins is moving the head up and down, sometimes across. Spenser did it constantly when he first arrived, bless him. :love:

Similar experience with light sentitivity, esp with Arthur, Belle not so much abut Arties eyes are almost completely closed in the sunlight, I can sympathise, I walk around with sunglasses on most of the time.

I don't move their set up around too much, talk when Im around, or first approaching so I don't startle them.

Ive noticed Belle doesn't move around as much with out Frank, even though she is now bonded to two other buns and Im wondering if its cos he was black and the other two ( Artie and Sophie) are both mainly white), so maybe one of the black boys will be bonded into that group, once neutered.

Barney is a BEW and has difficulty finding food. He also bites if your hands smell like certain foods. He's also deaf. Dont really know what scanning looks like....

I read somewhere (possibly on here?) that some BEWs have a red tinge to their eyes, not in normal light, but in some lights you can see it. And these BEWs are likely to have the same sight problems REWs do.

Very true, but also true for those with REW in their genetics (which is often sables) and they can have a ruby glow in their eyes in the right light.

Estelle is a BEW and has no vision problems.

In fact no problems at all .............she is perfect!!!:love::love:

Am I biased???:roll::roll:

Back