• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do if you couldn't afford your current rabbit?

whitehood

Warren Veteran
My situation got me wondering, I don't work, earn ,my parents pay for the vet bills etc.
Well my Dad pays.

What would you do if you couldn't afford the vet bills etc and had no one to ask?

I hope I won't ever find myself in that situation. :(

If it were a short term thing I would keep the animals and if they needed to go to the vet I'd plead with them to sort me out a payment plan. I'd go in to an overdraft or loan for their day to day costs.
If it were a long term thing I would have to rehome them as it's in their best interest. To pay for their care I'd have to start borrowing and if it were a long term thing I'd end up getting more and more in to debt.

I'd try and ask someone, but if I couldn't, I'd try and have them fostered somewhere or if I really had to I'd rehome them. I wouldn't let my rabbits suffer if I couldn't afford them. It would be very difficult though, and I don't think I'd have to, because I have money aside just in case, but if I didn't, that's what I'd do.

I try and plan for the unexpected, so my pet insurance will cover unexpected vets bills - and it also has 6 months of paid premiums in case of sudden unemployment.

Also my animals will come before me in terms of money so I'd make sure they had what they need and I'd find ways to scale down other costs (e.g. rent), and if I was really stuck and the best thing for them was for a new home I'd keep them at home until I could provide that - but it would be a very very last resort after all sorts of things like begging etc.

I am 17 and I don't work, so I have no income at all. My mum and brother have incomes and my other brother has a small amount for college too so if any vet fees come up, they pay for it.

If, I had no money, nor did they and the rabbits needed the vet then I would ask the vets to do a payment plan and pay so much every week. They know me well and would let me. If for some reason they wouldn't then my family would borrow it off other people to pay for it.

I would never, ever let that happen though. A good animal owner will always know that they have enough or can get enough money for emergency vet visits.

Oh and I am hoping to get a job in oct and if I do then I will put so much money aside every week for emergency vet visits for all my animals, and so much money aside for the rabbits food, litter and other things.

I'd work out a way to pay the vet, whether it be a payment plan or simply getting a new credit card or extending my overdraft. Then I'd cut back on my spending, I'd first cut back on the silly amount I spend on treats for them, and then I'd cut down on what I eat so I had some money spare. I'd also take on more hours at work if possible.

I have insurance so any long-lasting conditions should be covered, its just paying the vets before I make the claim.

being able to afford something is relative.

i would spend less money on myself, or in your case ask my parents to spend less money on me and to use it for buns instead.

i would go without anything if necessary but if its really down to the wire and i coulndt borrow any or get credit, then i would have to rehome.

It would depend, but its something ive had to consider recently - not because i might have to, but my familys financial situation has suddenly changed.

Im ok for money, just about, but i cant fall back on my parents anymore. Id do everything in my power to keep them and would only rehome them if i fellt thier needs were not being met. But as always, i put them before myself.

Im already making steps to try and save money and make sure they dont loose out at any point.

Im looking for another job with more hours/money
I will be getting them insured next month
Ive cut back on unnecessary spending, sorry but why buy posh toys when theyre happy with a toilet roll tube and a digging box!?
Im buying as much as i can in bulk and have managed to get baled hay for £3.50 :D
And im only buying what i need.

If i was under 16 and/or my parent payed for the upkeep, my rabbits probably wouldnt be here anymore.

RE Roseberry, i dont believe any parent would put a rabbit before their child, no matter how much you ask! My parents refuse to even buy me xmas presents for them!

Last edited:
I have a pact with another bunny friend if I'm made redundant I will move in with her and D&D can come with me as she has a whole spare room they can use! I could then rent out my house! I also have enough funds to last many months to take care of all 3 of us and would take any job I could find! The same goes for my friend she could move in with me and I have a big enough garden for her 4 bunnies :D If I were to die suddenly I also have enough bunny funds now that D&D will be able to live in luxury for the rest of their life and have an RUer who would be willing to take them (if her situation still allows!).

Boudicca - that is a lovely idea. I hope I can set up a something similar. My Aunt died recently and left me some money so I hope I can do the same thing and set up a bunny account for my bunniehs in case something ever happens to me - I know my family would take them in, but this way they wouldn't have to worry about the financial cost.

Borrow, get credit at the vets (what I did with my horse -ran up £3.5k), get an extra job.

There'a always a way:D

My situation got me wondering, I don't work, earn ,my parents pay for the vet bills etc.
Well my Dad pays.

What would you do if you couldn't afford the vet bills etc and had no one to ask?

How old are you? Surely if you are under 16 the rabbits are your parents responsibility cost wise?

I would always have someone to ask, we have money put aside for vets bills for our bunnies and add to it weekly. I have a good relationship with our vet so im sure they would let me pay on an account if needed too.

What do you plan to do? I don't think its fair giving bunny to a rescue, you can't expect them to pay the costs. You obviously need to speak to your parents :wave:

I have previously spent over £1,500 on a rabbit with an illness and would pay this 10 times over if i had too, they are my kids :)

Whatever I had to- but I'm very lucky that I will always have people around me to ask if I was desperate. They would help me and my bunnies if I needed them, same way I would help them if they needed me (likely they wouldn't need my financially, but in other ways).

I was in that situation. I sold anything that was worth anything. My DSi and games went first. Now I have a credit card and I put £65 on there a month so it will never happen again.

Selling stuff comes first, then asking parents. My vets would set up a payment plan for me and have done in the past. They're really good. :)

Back