• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice about Mallow

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
Mallow has lost a load of weight and vet suspects pneumonia and/or Pasteurella? She's had steroid injections, and been on antibiotics for around a week now (two week course) but she is still looking a bit clapped in at the sides and sort of rocks when she breathes sometimes with her nostrils flaring and obviously is in some discomfort. I was just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything else she can get to help her ? She's got an appointment tomorrow morning with the vet as I'm not happy with how uncomfy she seems.

I have no experience of this so can't offer any suggestions, but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear that Mallow is poorly and I hope the vet can give her something to make her more comfortable.

Hope you feel better soon, Mallow :wave:

This is what Frankie had e.g. respiratory infection and pasturella. He was a rex also I will tell you about his treatment.

He initially had nasal swabs and chest xrays to establish the abx to use. He was put on depocilin, and septrin I also insisted he had metacam.

He eventually had another lot of chest xrays and nasal swabs. He stayed comfortable and happy within himself for well over a year. Having boughts of infections throughout this period.

Whilst he was had infections I was having to give him extra food and even give him syringe feeds as he didn't want to eat a great deal.

This is what Frankie had e.g. respiratory infection and pasturella. He was a rex also I will tell you about his treatment.

He initially had nasal swabs and chest xrays to establish the abx to use. He was put on depocilin, and septrin I also insisted he had metacam.

He eventually had another lot of chest xrays and nasal swabs. He stayed comfortable and happy within himself for well over a year. Having boughts of infections throughout this period.

Whilst he was had infections I was having to give him extra food and even give him syringe feeds as he didn't want to eat a great deal.

Mallow has Metacam which she is getting also - the vet suggested the xrays and I will mention the nasal swabs when I go tomorrow. The good thing about Mallow is she is eating like a pig as always, but I'm still giving her extra. Thanks a lot for the advice, it's very helpful :wave:

Back