• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Hedgehog

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
Well yesterday I found a very poorly thin hog (now called Holga :) ) wandering about in the middle of the afternoon. She didn't look like she was going to make it yesterday and could barely walk but.... after some subcutaneous fluids (and after managing to wolf down 2 pouches of cat food and some cat biscuits :shock: ) she's looking a lot happier and seems like she has a chance.

She's not out of the woods yet but I just thought I share her story so far with everyone, she seems like such a fighter as she really was on deaths door yesterday. I'll post some pictures soon. She has the cutest big feet-still hasn't grown into them :love:

Here's a couple of pics of little Holga as promised :love:

Thanks for the advice offer FarplaceRescue. If I run into any problems I'll pm you! :wave:

hogphotos004.jpg

hogphotos006.jpg

She's beautiful. I can see how thin she is - especially around the bum. If you soak a few raisins for an hour or two, and add them to her meat, along with chopped peanuts and dried mealworms, she will soon put on weight, providing there are no other underlying health problems.

Thanks! She's putting on so much weight so quickly... Little Holga has put on 90 grams in two days :) She was 460g when I found her and is now 550g!

I am trying everything you suggested to bulk her up and it seems to be going well, she seems to pick around the raisins though :roll: She's still on Baytril as a precaution but I'm really hopeful that after a few weeks of fattening her up she'll be able to be released...

I have to de-flea/tick her now. The vet didn't want to do it immediately because of the stress of all the other medications she's had but now that she's looking better I can't wait to do it- there are fleas everywhere :shock:

Back