• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nebulising a bunny.URGENT.UPDATE.

yvette

Wise Old Thumper
Without a nebuliser.
Is it ok to steam????
What can I do???
Please help if you can...I have the meds....have no nebuliser.Have tried to get one from the DNs and GP.No help there......

Last edited:
No idea, im sorry :(

I know that some people with rats take them into a steamy bathroom for a bit, and that can help those that dont have nebulisers... I can't imagine it would be any different for rabbits, but I don't want to say for definite as I don't know.

I've found steaming can make some breathing problems worse, so as to steam or not, it depends what the issues is (i.e. It used to make Badger mouth breathe), but I don't know enough to be more specific. I'm not sure I would risk it if the advice has been to nebulise.

Can you buy a nebuliser online? or maybe pop to Maplins or something? (I got mine from Maplins and found it very good).

I read online some time ago instructions on how to make your own, try doing a search. Sorry cant remember anything else

You cant nebulise meds with just steam

Is this an acute respiratory issue ??

Lily has lost weight continually.Shes sneezing (like a quacking noise) quite frequently and Ian has given me baytril.0.6ml daily,a drop of metacam daily and f10 to nebulise.
He thinks that maybe the breathing issue is making her not eat.
But BB has increased weight so had to separate the buns for most of the day so Lily gets to eat.She is 620grammes. Down from just over 700.
The last time she was at risk from dying/pts she was 535grammes.
Im scared.

omg yvette....thats awful:(

i got told to put the shower on hot and take bertie into the bathroom..which is an awful idea as we have a disabled shower room and it has an awful slurp slurp pump to take the water away..hed get soo stressed.

is it worth taking her to emergency vets until you can get hold of a nebuliser?

i am lucky that..touch wood......berties is in his upper resp system..nose and sinuses.....not chest...but im well aware it can easily make the jump.

he lost a lot of weight over a short period of time.....i ended up feeding him weetabix and fresh herbs..everytime to get him eating..its what i do.

i hope you can get the help asap xx

I rang the vets for advice about weight,he asked if she was sneezing and he said that was the concern.
When he listened to her chest it was urti.Baytril prescribed 29 July.Hes not seen her since....

omg hun..change the bloomin vet!!

the one im seeing bertie with tomorrow gave him injections of alomyacin three days apart..he had 3 and it helped him no end.
just like the other vets who gave him a 6 week course of depocillin and i paid a ladt to come do them at home every five days. He improved so much even she noticed it and shes not bunny mad but bertie mad:love:

bloomin baytril..its all he ever was given as the culture came back saying it was reactive to a lot of antbx but also baytril:roll: hed been living on the bloomin stuff since he was diagnosed in jan/feb 2009:shock:

the vet im seeing tomorrow says everybody knows baytrils useless for pasturella:shock:

fingers crossed for you guys xx

Can the vets not lend you a nebuliser? When we thought Louis might need one the vets said they would lend us one and we could buy our own if we thought it was useful and wanted one permanently.

Can the vets not lend you a nebuliser? When we thought Louis might need one the vets said they would lend us one and we could buy our own if we thought it was useful and wanted one permanently.

No.I asked.Theyve had trouble getting them back and he said to buy my own,but Im on sick pay.Cant afford 50 quid right now:(

blimey..i went on ebay...dont bother!!

the maplin ones the cheapest.

i have looked for you hun..maybe ring the red cross..ive borrowed crutches and wheelchair from them in the past. you never know.

ring your pharmacy and ask if they know of one for hire...

let us know how you get on xx

Well, would you believe it!! I asked the district nurses, and Ive struck gold!! They know me from my community post, so once I grovelled,said who it was for (Lily) and it wasnt touching her mowf, Ive got one to borrow!! Yay!!

Well, would you believe it!! I asked the district nurses, and Ive struck gold!! They know me from my community post, so once I grovelled,said who it was for (Lily) and it wasnt touching her mowf, Ive got one to borrow!! Yay!!

Awesome news!

The best way I've found to do it is attach it to a carry case with a the metal attachy thing from a water bottle and have one of the mouth pieces go through the bars. Then cover the carry case in a towel. :)

Ow wow! That's brilliant!!!!! So pleased for you :love:

Back