• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Big Poo's?!

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Okay, strange question guys.....Ive noticed that whenever ben is in his run eating grass (he has between 4-7 hours a day monitored) he does really big poo's! I mean loads bigger than he does in his hutch..has anyone else noticed this with their buns?

Theyre not runny, are fine, and he has not had a change of diet, but they only appear when he is eating grass.

Pictures can be uploaded if needed...

Logically it makes sence as he's eating fibre (grass) but I've always found when my buns eat grass theirs go darker and smaller.

As long as you do mean they are just larger but still healthy then its nothing to worry about, if you mean they are different shape, soft etc it may need further investigation.

Would you mind if I posted a picture of 1 up..A bit gross I know but just want people opinions on whether its normal..as they used to get smaller and darker! And still do when he is in his hutch, just not in his run!

No prob, poop pics are the norm on here. :lol:

In fact I'm sure someone did a whole display once.

If you want to see 'funky' poo pics, go and look at thumps_ thread :shock:

Poos are normally ~ the same size, but darker if bun has been eating lots of grass :) Large poos is good :thumb:

Aha very glad to hear it, I always check his poo's :)

Here is a cluster of some of them:

DSCF2038.jpg

And here is one compared 2 a 5 pence piece:

DSCF2040.jpg

:D

Aha, aww Im glad, theyre so so much bigger than he normally does, and he only does them in the run.

Bless him, he only weighs 1.7 kgs aswell, I dont know how he manages to push them out :lol:

Thank you schuette :) Can anybody explain why he only does these when he is in his run scoffing on grass?

Grass normally makes his poo's small and very dark not huge and brown like this!

:lol:

Whatever he's eaten will take a few hours at least to pass through his system, so the poops you see in the run will be from the hay he's eaten overnight/earlier in the day.

Likewise, the poops you see in the hutch are more likely to be smaller and darker from the grass he's eaten earlier.

Alfie and Bubbles do dark grass poops overnight (they're let out on to the grass in the late afternoon) and the poops are back to a more golden colour by the morning.

Wot Karen said! Mine tend to do big golden poops in the run from eating hay earlier in the day and darker poops that evening indoors from the grass. :)

I love poo threads!!!!!!!!

Makes me feel less obsessed about scrutinising poos morning, noon and night!!!!

I was delighted this morning when my two did great big poo piles for me while I was tootling round in the shed sorting them out!!!!! I must get out more.....

:oops:

I love poo threads!!!!!!!!

Makes me feel less obsessed about scrutinising poos morning, noon and night!!!!

I was delighted this morning when my two did great big poo piles for me while I was tootling round in the shed sorting them out!!!!! I must get out more.....

:oops:

I do too, Im constantly checking my buns poo all day to check all is well! My parents think Im mad!!!

:lol:

You not from here?? You're welcome anyway - bunny poops yayyyyy!!!! With 13 buns at mine it's a good thing I like them!!:lol:

You not from here?? You're welcome anyway - bunny poops yayyyyy!!!! With 13 buns at mine it's a good thing I like them!!:lol:

I live in Shropshire :) Yayy thanking you :)

13 buns!? I bet youve got your work cut out! I want more but my parents wont let me..and I only have the 1, he is expensive enough :lol:

Back