• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What would you do? Re: Dental Issues

Janey

Warren Veteran
To try and cut a very long story short....

Poppy has dental issues, we went to the vets last week because she seemed to be finding it trickier to eat veg (although still eating fine, I was cutting things up or she was taking ages). My rabbit savvy vet said there were a few spurs at the back which he filed down, he said the front weren't great (the incisors cross slightly at the bottom), but no need for any baytril to control problem at the moment, he said keep an eye and if she's having problems come back and they can x-ray etc to asses extraction (I think).

Anyway, a week on and no difference, still eating but struggles unless cut up food (vet said this wasn't a problem to cut it up if she found it easier).The problem that is bothering me is she's a bit sneezy. This was the case when she went to the vets last week but I completely forgot to mention it with all the teeth business. He did listen to her chest so can't have heard anything there as idn't mention it, she has no discharge or dirty paws and it's only every now and then, however, I know they can get snuffly when their immunity is low, she's had sneezy periods like this before and taken her to the vets and they couldn't see anything and suggested maybe hay up her nose-it stopped after a while.

I tried to book an appointment today to take her back to talk through things with the rabbit savvy vet, however, he's not back until 30th Aug. I've booked an appointment on 30th because I really want to talk everything through with him before making decisions about extractions etc, however, I'm worried it's leaving it too long. She's been how she is for about 2-3 weeks now, no change in how she acts or anything, but would you leave it and see how it goes or take her to a non-savvy vet? Bearing in mind I've had a vet before who could barely look in Peter's mouth-she didn't in fact, and also that she was looked at last week and there has been no change-I just didn't mention the sneezing. Plus the fact my vets is 45 mins away :?

I really don't know what to do for best :(

Sorry for length of post!

Would it be possible to take her to another rabbit-savvy vet at all? If you pop a post up in Rabbit chat asking for 'Rabbit Savvy Vet in <your area>' ?

The fact that she is sneezing and has possible issues with her teeth could mean tooth roots :( Does she have ANY discharge from her nose/eyes?

The reason for the slow eating could easily be immense amounts of pain, but she knows she needs to eat. I would really want her to pain relief (metacam) as a minimum to try and ease it if you need need to wait until the 30th - they should be able to provide you with that, even from a non-savvy vet etc.

I wish you the best of luck and am sending LOADS of vibes in your direction - hopefully something can be done for her.

Thank you for replying.

She does have numerous dental issues. She's had x-rays etc which were pretty in-conclusive but she will be having more soon. There is no discharge on her nose (I keep checking) and her paws are clean. She always has wet eyes because of her blocked tear ducts (assumed to be tooth roots but as I said, in-conclusive), she really has issues with her teeth we are trying to manage, it doesn't help she had a big reaction to inections which ended in surgery and she now can't have dopocillin.

I don't think (and really hope), she's not in pain. She has trouble with big pieces of veg (spring green, parsley where she has to cut through with her incisors etc), with her pellets, treats and when I cut things up she seems fine so I think it's the incisors being in-effective.

Personally I think I would wait until the vet comes back (is it Guy Carter by any chance?) provided all things stay the same.

Could she have some Echinacea to help her immune system?

Have you tried grating the veg?

Thank you for replying.

She does have numerous dental issues. She's had x-rays etc which were pretty in-conclusive but she will be having more soon. There is no discharge on her nose (I keep checking) and her paws are clean. She always has wet eyes because of her blocked tear ducts (assumed to be tooth roots but as I said, in-conclusive), she really has issues with her teeth we are trying to manage, it doesn't help she had a big reaction to inections which ended in surgery and she now can't have dopocillin.

I don't think (and really hope), she's not in pain. She has trouble with big pieces of veg (spring green, parsley where she has to cut through with her incisors etc), with her pellets, treats and when I cut things up she seems fine so I think it's the incisors being in-effective.

I'd be concerned mainly regarding her being in pain, as tooth roots are apparently meant to be excruciatingly painful if problematic :(

Poor Poppy that she suffers so badly and has a bad reaction to injections too :shock: Blocked tear ducts as you say, could suggest tooth roots again :(

More vibes from here.

Personally I think I would wait until the vet comes back (is it Guy Carter by any chance?) provided all things stay the same.

Could she have some Echinacea to help her immune system?

Have you tried grating the veg?

Yes it is Guy Carter she sees (did i say that or are you psychic :) ).

I could certainly get echinacea, how would i administer it?

Hmmmm, i am now concerned she's in pain (not that she has shown it but i know they don't). She certainly seens just as eager wheni giver her pellets or baby corn and managed to wake me up at 6 this morning chewing on the bars.

I definately think shes got root problems and has had for over two years now, its a case of managing a bad situation :(

I havent grated veg yet because she seems to manage fine with it in smaller pieces, i certainly would though if neccessary.

Just a little bit phsycic! (Clues, North London, 45 min drive, bunny savvy vet ;))

I have never used Echinacea on rabbits but I believe you can - maybe Galens Garden site would be a start? or an RU search.

I would have thought bun would be reluctant to eat if in immediate pain - I'm sure you would know.

Ha ha, you are good, maybe you should be a private investigator (if you're not already :lol:).

Thanks for the link, i will order her some to help with the immunity. I'm hoping she's not in pain, i have had her stop eating completely previously before a dental. Ohhh, good vets should really not be allowed holidays :lol:

Dried echinacea (as in cut up plant bits) is available in small packets in some of the big chains (eg Jolleys, possibly Pets at Home). Presumably it's also available on-line.

You could try feeding her some daily with her usual rations. I used to use it for an elderly rabbit with multiple problems, including dental issues.

Dried echinacea (as in cut up plant bits) is available in small packets in some of the big chains (eg Jolleys, possibly Pets at Home). Presumably it's also available on-line.

You could try feeding her some daily with her usual rations. I used to use it for an elderly rabbit with multiple problems, including dental issues.

Thank you for this information, we have a couple of p&h and a Jolleys local, will go and have a search tommorrow to see any either of them stock it.

In addition you could possibly contact one of the vets there to see if some pain relief would help until Guy gets back.

Back