• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dental Diets

TinkPig

Warren Scout
I am wracking my poor brain trying to sort out a better diet for Jasper to string out the dentals.
All the diet advice I have seen is wonderful, but I have what is likely a daft question.
I know folks are saying more hay, and better quality hay, but I was wanting to know what hay people use. Baled hay isnt an option for me as I have no where to store it, so I was wondering what brands and type of hay people use, ie Timothy or Meadow, as I am getting mightily confused! :oops:

Grim doesn't eat hay at all and he went 8 months between his last two dentals...

I think if you want a rabbit to eat more hay then buy different hays and rotate them. Or buy something like the little bags of dandelion and green oat hay from Wilkinson's and sprinkle it over the normal hay. Smoo has a little bag of forage with mint and willow and all sorts in that I sprinkle over her hay.

I buy hayforpets hay too, but the Ings stuff.
I buy them Wilkinsons Timothy hay for variation

I think different rabbits enjoy different kinds of hay, broad stalk, soft, course, but they all (and grass of course) contain the "grinding compound" that wear the teeth down so what ever your rabbit enjoys and you can aquire will be great.

Meadow hay is a mix of different grasses cut and dried from a field that is permenantly laid to grass.

You may well find that if you approach a hay supplier/horse feed merchant/riding school/livery yard they would split a bale for you.

I buy a bale (for about £5/£6) wrap it loosely in a sheet of plastic or bed sheet to contain the mess and stand it on its end in the shed, it really doesn't take up much room.

Thanks folks. They generally have a mix of meadow hay and timothy hay, but have bought some redigrass as well for them today as they dont get to graze being house buns.

Back