• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Long Until Getting A Mate

MikePalmer88

Alpha Buck
How long would you suggest getting a female mate for my male bun??

He was neutered on 15/8 so wondering how long until we get a friend.

We have a large NIC Condo set up

Sodo you think we should adopt a female soon and split the condo let them get to know each others smell etc but not be in contact.

Or wait until Mr is ready to meet the female and introduce them from day one of adopting?

Wait for ~6-8 weeks POST neuter before even thinking about bringing a friend home. That way, his hormones will have died down. If you bring another bun home, you have the added complications of possible referred aggression etc.

Once the 6-8 weeks is up, you can find a friend for you bun from a rescue :)

Wait for ~6-8 weeks POST neuter before even thinking about bringing a friend home. That way, his hormones will have died down. If you bring another bun home, you have the added complications of possible referred aggression etc.

Once the 6-8 weeks is up, you can find a friend for you bun from a rescue :)

6-8 weeks was what i was planning on waiting for the introduction but you would say not even to rescue until after then??

I agree, I would wait 6 weeks after neutering before bringing a new bun home. I don't think it's necessary to wait 8 weeks, I think that's just scope creep on earlier recommendations. The main reason I would wait is because if you get another bun now, in 6 weeks time they might not bond - and then what? You either have to take her back, which would be hard as you would already have got attached to her by then, or you end up with 2 single rabbits which isn't really fair on the buns, or you try them both with another bun and end up with four. whereas if you wait, you or rescue can try the bond straight away so you've got more chance of success without as much heartache if your first choice doesn't work :)

Agree with Gray & Santa :wave:

...and if you're looking for a hunbun, we have lots to choose from ;) :love:

Back