• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Very Big choice for my three bunnies - What would you do

Sherlock

Warren Scout
I decided enough was enough and I was fed up of Hope (stroppy grumpy mummy bun) being stroppy with Izzy by chasing and forcing him away from everyone else and not letting him eat very much or have attention etc.

So I took Izzy out of the hutch and gave him a cuddle even though he's a rather nervous bunny and still getting used to human contact and cuddles and Izzy almost instantly gave me a bunny purr. As if he was delighted to feel some love. Even if it was human.

So I gave him some space and toys and a litter tray in the lounge etc. whilst I had a think and got some initial immediate advice. He quickly chilled out and started washing himself etc.

However, if want the trio to work then I have to rebond them tonight. So I've put him back in the hutch and only let them have the top floor (8 foot by 3 foot - for 3 french lops so fairly large buns). In the short term I don't think it will turn to violence, but is Izzy going to have love? Is it better to leave him in an environment where he knows who he's with (in bunny terms) and has a big hutch and run (8ft x 3 ft with 12ft x 4 ft run) or do I look to separate him and make a set up of his own with a new wife (who will be rescue) - but the new set up will be smaller as I can't afford another custom built large run set up just yet?

What would you do?

Last edited:
me i would let him have his own space and a bun of his own i think....if i possibly could...he sounds like hes not happy with the current situation

just my opinion....:D

Hi Jackhouse - thank you that's what I'm feeling. I don't know whether I'm being selfish and projecting my feelings of wanting love and happiness onto him when really he likes the space and is happy being bottom of the rung with his mum and brother.

It's really hard because if I separate him now then I won't ever be able to put him back.

Could I bond in a fourth so that at least when Hope is favouring Sterling, Izzy can have a special friend too.

I've changed the title as I'm not going to sleep tonight with worrying about Izzy. Any advice of what you would do would be really appreciated?

Tbh, an 8x3ft hutch is no where near big enough for French Lops so that may be where your problem lies. If buns don't have enough space, I know some can get aggravated and aggressive.

I have a French Lop and he's currently just under 5kg. He is being bonded to a small dwarf lop and their home is going to be a 6x4 shed with differing levels and I know that this still isn't big enough but it is only temporary.

If the bond of a trio doesn't work out and you can afford another bun, my suggestion would be to seperate Izzy and bond him with a new wiffey bun instead of trying a foursome as Izzy could still be left out.

But, I do need to reiterate the point that an 8x3ft hutch just isn't anywhere near big enough for 2 French Lops, never mind 3. At full size your looking at 4.5-5kg and their height is much bigger than that of your average bun.

The minumum you should be looking at is a 6x4ft shed/playhouse for two Frenchies with an attached 6x4ft run with extra head height.

The size of accommodation you've recommended is actually less square footage than what the buns already have!! The 8x3 hutch is the same as a 6x4 in size :wave: and the 12x4 run she has is 48 sq feet. If she adds another level to it it would be good! Obviously the bigger the better though :)

Tbh, an 8x3ft hutch is no where near big enough for French Lops so that may be where your problem lies. If buns don't have enough space, I know some can get aggravated and aggressive.

I have a French Lop and he's currently just under 5kg. He is being bonded to a small dwarf lop and their home is going to be a 6x4 shed with differing levels and I know that this still isn't big enough but it is only temporary.

If the bond of a trio doesn't work out and you can afford another bun, my suggestion would be to seperate Izzy and bond him with a new wiffey bun instead of trying a foursome as Izzy could still be left out.

But, I do need to reiterate the point that an 8x3ft hutch just isn't anywhere near big enough for 2 French Lops, never mind 3. At full size your looking at 4.5-5kg and their height is much bigger than that of your average bun.

The minumum you should be looking at is a 6x4ft shed/playhouse for two Frenchies with an attached 6x4ft run with extra head height.

I am wondering what the world has come to when this is considered not suitable for 3 Frenchies

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=299068&page=8
(Sherlocks accom pictured on reply 223 )Clearly a 6 x 4 playhouse would be far smaller :roll:

Note to Sherlock - I'll reply to your original post when I've cleaned up the tea that was spluttered all over the keyboard when I read this reply)

Sorry I forgot to mention it's a double layer hutch - so 8ft x 3ft x 2 which gives a 48ft square foot. They also have a 12ft x 4 ft run permanently attached run which is 3ft in height to give them lots of space for binkies. So they have 96 square foot in total - is that enough?

However, only one of my bunnies is over 4kg, they are a cross so I think they are smaller than usual french lops - I've attached a picture for everyone to see.

This is my scrummy bun - Izzy (Isilidor is his full name it means Great one)
P1040667.jpg

This is Hope - my lovely lady but dominant bossy mum
P1040776.jpg

This is Sterling (meaning star) the favoured son
P1050030.jpg

This is their hutch and run set up before they moved in with all of their toys etc.
P1040244.jpg

Fantastic set up and gorgeous bunnies!!

I'm sorry i have not advice on what you should do though. You know them and sounds like you will certainly do the best for them and best of luck on whatever you decide. xxxx

:wave: Good morning Sherlock. I'm wondering what you decided to do last night i.e. whether to put Izzy back with the others.

I'm torn as to what I'd do but am leaning (slightly) towards keeping them together. However I look at my own Billie-Joe and Gert who are merely tolerating each other :( and I wonder if he's truly happy :(

good luck.

What lovely bunnies. I think if she is chasing him away all the time etc this has got to be stressful for him so on balance I would consider getting him his own wifey. :)

I put Izzy back last night as once I've made the decision I can't turn back, and only given them the top floor to encourage them to rebond but nothing seems to have changed overnight. Hope is still being very scary towards him and chasing him off to the corner of the cage whenever he can.

I'm wondering whether they will settle down. I almost wish I could add a fourth - if I could find the perfect bunny for Izzy to have company and to try and balance out Hope - but would it work? They have such a huge space I could give another lovely bunny and home and most importantly it would give my scrummy bunny companionship and bunny love.

I put Izzy back last night as once I've made the decision I can't turn back, and only given them the top floor to encourage them to rebond but nothing seems to have changed overnight. Hope is still being very scary towards him and chasing him off to the corner of the cage whenever he can.

I'm wondering whether they will settle down. I almost wish I could add a fourth - if I could find the perfect bunny for Izzy to have company and to try and balance out Hope - but would it work? They have such a huge space I could give another lovely bunny and home and most importantly it would give my scrummy bunny companionship and bunny love.

Would you then have 2 pairs or a group of 4?

Fantastic set up and gorgeous bunnies!!

I'm sorry i have not advice on what you should do though. You know them and sounds like you will certainly do the best for them and best of luck on whatever you decide. xxxx

Thanks Grin. Trying to make this decision alone is really hard.

Thanks Grin. Trying to make this decision alone is really hard.

I bet - i certainly dont envy you. I'll be bonding mine into a trio on the weekend. I have back up plans but i dont like any of them!!

Just a thought but have you considered taking the bonding back to basics and starting from the beginning in neutral territory etc?

If I could get a four that works it would be perfect - they have all that lovely space. Is there the perfect bun out there for Izzy? Am I dreaming too hard?

Back