• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wirral Bunny mummy network.............VDH vacs......

hannah.mc

Warren Scout
Ladies.............
Buttons is due her VHD, my usual vet doesn't stock anything other than cyclap at the mo.
Spoke with Rob McNulty tonight who will order me in either of the other two.
Lancipet comes in a box of 5 I think??? If I get him to order a box does anyone else want 1? Equally does anyone have any recommendations re other vets???

Thanks, looking forward to a get together xxxxx

Hiya :wave:

I spoke to Vets4Pets a few days ago and they are ordering in Lapinject for me and it will be £16 each bun.

I spoke to Rob's nurse prior and they said that if a bun has had a reaction to Cylap in the past then they will do it over 2 visits (half 1 day, half another) if I took 2 buns in naturally!

I took Dylan to Vets4Pets in Prenton tonight to try them before I take them there for vacs, they were ok, but expensive :(

Both mine had Cylap this morning, appointment at 11.40. They've both been bouncing around as normal, no reactions at all. :)

Hiya :wave:

I spoke to Vets4Pets a few days ago and they are ordering in Lapinject for me and it will be £16 each bun.

I spoke to Rob's nurse prior and they said that if a bun has had a reaction to Cylap in the past then they will do it over 2 visits (half 1 day, half another) if I took 2 buns in naturally!

I took Dylan to Vets4Pets in Prenton tonight to try them before I take them there for vacs, they were ok, but expensive :(

Thank you!!!! I spoke to Rob tonight (I think) and hee said he'ld order it in for me but if V4P have lapinject I'll be calling them tomorrow!!!! I have a friend who's bun had a leg amputation with them and she speaks highly of them!!!!

Thanks for the tip, need to get her sorted before bunny hotel.......

Both mine had Cylap this morning, appointment at 11.40. They've both been bouncing around as normal, no reactions at all. :)

Some of mine have been ok, some not so went on the majority opinion on RU!

Thank you!!!! I spoke to Rob tonight (I think) and hee said he'ld order it in for me but if V4P have lapinject I'll be calling them tomorrow!!!! I have a friend who's bun had a leg amputation with them and she speaks highly of them!!!!

Thanks for the tip, need to get her sorted before bunny hotel.......

No probs. He's ordering 2 lots in (I have 6 buns) so will have a spare :)

Good to know they are good vets, always a worry when we try somewhere new. I think very highly of Rob McNulty but there are new vets (locums) and I thought if I was going to try a new vet anyway ... I know that Upton Vets are VERY good, for general vet treatment and dentals. Bunnybabe uses them and I've had a bun neutered there, very impressed.

Last edited:
Personally, I wouldn't allow mine to be injected with Cylap. There is no reason to use it if you don't want as there are two alternatives. One is Lapinject, which comes in a large vial with enough doses for 5 rabbits, but as it is a single vial, must be used straight away. That is fine if you are taking in more than one or two buns, but not so good for singletons.

The other, and better alternative, is Anivac. This comes in 10 single dose vials, so if it is ordered in for just one bun, the other doses can be used for other rabbits as and when they come in for vaccination.

Out of the three vaccines, Anivac is the cheapest and the safest for both the rabbit and those administering the vaccine because it doesn't use mineral oil as a carrier. It is the mineral oil which is so dangerous to people if the vaccine is mis-injected and sometimes irritates the rabbit.

I ask my vet the order Anivac in beforehand for me and have never had any problem. I am charged the same amount as if I were using Cylap. What you may find is that some vets have existing stocks of Cylap and want to use it up as they can probably see that Anivac will become a more popular vaccines for those who know about rabbits.

If you vet is in doubt about the problems with Cylap, printing off and showing him/her the product notification where it mentions a 50% problem rate, usually enforces your argument. After all, YOU are the customer and are paying for a service.

Some of mine have been ok, some not so went on the majority opinion on RU!

No probs. He's ordering 2 lots in (I have 6 buns) so will have a spare :)
Good to know they are good vets, always a worry when we try somewhere new. I think very highly of Rob McNulty but there are new vets (locums) and I thought if I was going to try a new vet anyway ... I know that Upton Vets are VERY good, for general vet treatment and dentals. Bunnybabe uses them and I've had a bun neutered there, very impressed.

Fabulous....I'll let Madam Chops know she's off for a trip to Prenton (once I've booked the appointment and got them to reserve her a vacc).........

ive just reg Smudge at Upton vets and they at the momemt only stock cylap they are going to look into prices and if they can order either of the other two in for me i should know by the end of the week, the lady ii spoke to was very helpful and dint make me feel silly for asking lot and lots of questions! I have always used Rob as well but think its time for a change for me after losing Missy and Kitten within 5 months i cant fault there treatments but i feel tearful just being there and it doesnt take much these days to make me cry x

Poor you Katie!!!!
Upton said they'll eventually get round to ordering lapinject but I need to get Buttons vaccinated before she goes to bunny hotel and well in advance so I can watch her.
I'll see what I think of vets4pets....I seemed to hit a brick wall regarding antibiotics other than batryl with Isaac's ear even into the 5th and 6th week of treatment......
Big hugs Katie and Smudge xxxx

:wave: I was speaking to the nurse (that Katie spoke to) when I picked up Homey and they are looking into the other ones. Might be worth giving them a call if all your bunnies are due to see if they can speed things up - you could share the Lapinject if it is that one. Mine aren't due until next year now.

Last edited:
ive just reg Smudge at Upton vets and they at the momemt only stock cylap they are going to look into prices and if they can order either of the other two in for me i should know by the end of the week, the lady ii spoke to was very helpful and dint make me feel silly for asking lot and lots of questions! I have always used Rob as well but think its time for a change for me after losing Missy and Kitten within 5 months i cant fault there treatments but i feel tearful just being there and it doesnt take much these days to make me cry x
<<<hugs>>> Hope you are OK.

Just back from V4P......
Had to persuade vet to use lapinject as Buttons hasn't strictly speaking had an adverse reaction to cyclap previously but didn't have to persuade too hard....
Only issue is that there's now four doses of lapinject there that need using today!!!! I'm PM-ed Rykaat as I think it's her vaccine's Button's has had and they're going to order anivac in as an ongoing thing as there isn't this issue about a multidose vial....

I'll start a new thread specifically about the anivac.....vet was quite chuffed that may drum up some new business for them!

Just back from V4P......
Had to persuade vet to use lapinject as Buttons hasn't strictly speaking had an adverse reaction to cyclap previously but didn't have to persuade too hard....
Only issue is that there's now four doses of lapinject there that need using today!!!! I'm PM-ed Rykaat as I think it's her vaccine's Button's has had and they're going to order anivac in as an ongoing thing as there isn't this issue about a multidose vial....

I'll start a new thread specifically about the anivac.....vet was quite chuffed that may drum up some new business for them!
Bet they were......... will highlight this to another local vet. ;)

Bet they were......... will highlight this to another local vet. ;)

The patient before me had been in over half an hour so the poor bloke wasn't having a good morning!!!!

But he and I had a sensible chat re multidose viles etc (the swine flu vac was a multidose vile when it first came out) so I explained this to him suggested annivac may not be a multidose vile and bingo it isn't!!!

After all that though I forgot to get him sign Buttons's flipping imms card...der........

Back