• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very severe sore hocks

Dollie

Warren Scout
I volunteer at a rescue, we also offer bunnyboarding. Today a bunny with severe sore hocks arrived. Her owners tried many things but it got worse and worse and worse.. I'm sorry, I do not have all the details about everything they tried so far, I don't have the papers. But she does get painkillers and they have been treating her with betadine ointment, this was what the vet adviced them to use.. I believe she's on antibiotics too, not completely sure.

We also suspect there is more going on than just the hocks, unfortunately I forgot to film it. But she holds her back in the same position as the bunny in this video. (One of my boardingguests, EC bun.) The way she is stumbeling around just doesn't look like it's only caused by the hocks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwQVyRAocNc

The pictures of her hocks:

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

IMG_0569.JPG

We have treated sore hocks before, but - thank God - we have never seen them like this before. What to do?

Wow, thanks! We were thinking about using babysocks or something but I doubt that will work.. but this sounds much better!

And yeah, poor wee thing.. I have never seen them this bad.. :(

Vetbed,yes.Just dont let her wee on it.
Poor little girl.Dont give her back!!

Why not give her back?? They tried everything they can to help her, took her to the vet a million times, nothing is working. (Also not sure how rabbitsavvy the vet is, but they can't help that..) And how can you not let a rabbit wee on their bedding......?

Why not give her back?? They tried everything they can to help her, took her to the vet a million times, nothing is working. (Also not sure how rabbitsavvy the vet is, but they can't help that..) And how can you not let a rabbit wee on their bedding......?

I just feel sorry for her.Perhaps she can be litter trained...it may help.
And perhaps another vet could help.

Vetbed didn't help Mini's, it seemed to make it worse unless I covered it with something soft, like cotton pillowcases. We got on better with duvets, but for chewers that's no good but then chewers will chew vetbed too. The best flooring for sore hocks is a deep bed of hay.

Vetbed didn't help Mini's, it seemed to make it worse unless I covered it with something soft, like cotton pillowcases. We got on better with duvets, but for chewers that's no good but then chewers will chew vetbed too. The best flooring for sore hocks is a deep bed of hay.

We're afraid putting her on hay will get things infected (ok they already are of course)

I can imagine a vetbed making things worse, it kinda feels like fleece which can cause sore hocks too..

Oh the poor girl :cry:

Has she been tested for EC? If she is holding her back end in the same way the bun on the video is, that could well be why her hocks are so bad.

Id say the first port of call is to get to the bottom of the causes of the hocks. Have her tested for EC and it might even be worth getting x rays done.

Jacks Jane has experience with dressing and treating sore hocks, so she may be able to help more in that area.

Bedding wise, maybe deep layer of hay with vet bed on top. Id say anythings worth a try at this stage :(

Loads of vibes for her, she must be in lots of pain :cry:

That looks so bad. Although it sounds like her previous owners have tried everything they can for her, so wouldn't say it was her owner's fault without more investigation.

I also would say vetbed didn't help with my girl's sore hocks either, it just made them redder. I have used thick hay for around 3 years now and its kept the sore hocks at an acceptable condition. Obviously a very clean environment is very important. Cleaning the hutch/run at least once a day is vital.

She has not been tested for EC, I don't think that will happen either. Most Dutch vets start treating when they suspect EC, they say a positive test doesn't mean much. And it will take weeks to get the results. They'd be to late for her.. Her owners (who are still her owners! She's only here during their holiday!) are thinking about putting her to sleep if we/our vet can't help her either. And I think that would be the only right thing to do if it doesn't get better. But not without trying everything we can! Treating her for EC sounds like a good thing to start with..

She has not been tested for EC, I don't think that will happen either. Most Dutch vets start treating when they suspect EC, they say a positive test doesn't mean much. And it will take weeks to get the results. They'd be to late for her.. Her owners (who are still her owners! She's only here during their holiday!) are thinking about putting her to sleep if we/our vet can't help her either. And I think that would be the only right thing to do if it doesn't get better. But not without trying everything we can! Treating her for EC sounds like a good thing to start with..

I agree with PTS if you have literally tried everything. If Molly's hocks ever got in that condition, I'm afraid I'd consider PTS, because I would have tried everything.

We have had many rabbits in the sanctuary with sore hocks, although that
1st picture is the worst case I have ever seen:cry:

Deep soft bedding is one of the most important factors, and natural products are best.

We use easi-bed, which looks like sawdust when packaged, but is actually very finely chopped straw, with a good deep layer of hay.

Keep it changed regularly so she stays nice and dry, and obviously look at Janes thread regarding the right medication.

Gosh they are bad, poor girly. Is it possible she has some other condition that is making her put pressure on her feet like that? for example, one is severely worse than the other. Peanut's hocks were nothing like that but they did keep abscessing - does she have an abscess inside?

No vet bed, it makes it worse. Foam mats are good if she doesn't chew, or duvets that sort of thing. Thick hay is the best, but just be overly clean, completely taking it out every day.

Has she had antibiotics?

Gosh they are bad, poor girly. Is it possible she has some other condition that is making her put pressure on her feet like that? for example, one is severely worse than the other. Peanut's hocks were nothing like that but they did keep abscessing - does she have an abscess inside?

We think she might have EC. And you mean an abcess on her hock? It does look that way.

As far as I know, she is on AB, her owners wrote down exactly what they already tried and what they are giving her now, but I don't have those papers with me.. So I'm not sure..

Back