• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just saved a bun from being PTS. Advice?

Lillian

Warren Veteran
The bun is only one, he is unneutered. Apparently he's having frequent dentals, every few weeks and eye flushes weekly. I've been told his back teeth stick out side ways. His teeth and eyes were treated two weeks ago, despite that his eyes are runny and his has a tiny bit of nasal discharge.

What do you think I should do? Should he be neutered and see if it helps with his teeth, continue with frequent dentals, consider having his teeth out or have him PTS?

Obviously I will be having him examined by my vet to get her opinion but I just wanted to hear from more experienced people.

Personally I don't see how neutering is connected to teeth. I would hold off the neutering, get him checked by a bunny savvy Vet and take it from there :wave:

I wouldnt put him to sleep. I wouldnt have him neutered yet either, if hes snuffly that makes him a higher risk for anesthetic. I'd find a vet who can do concious dentals, or unconcious but reshape the teeth, not just get the spurs off. Talk to your vet first, see what they can do. As far as I know, vets dont usually take back teeth out, its front ones they tend to.

Do you know what his diet was like? You never know putting him on minimal everything except hay may increase th times between them dramatcially....

There was a thread about putting a dental bunny to sleep recently, the owner asking whether to, if you can find it there are LOADS of suggestions on there.

Personal question I know, but can you afford the dental care for him? It may be ongoing.

Oh and I would have a skull xray done next time hes under GA for a dental (wait till hes going under GA anyway, dont get it done especially) to see if the roots of his teeth are overgrown. That could be causing the eyes running,

what kind of diet has he been on, if a poor diet of mix, maybe changing to more hay and a pellet may help and more things to help wear the teeth down, i know it did with my mowgli :wave:

Just wondering... are you able to take on another bunny as from the message you sent me I thought you were having to rehome some of your current bunnies ?

Just wondering... are you able to take on another bunny as from the message you sent me I thought you were having to rehome some of your current bunnies ?

At the moment my family issues have settled down, and I've been putting money aside incase things get bad again.

I haven't thought it through at all really, he was about to be PTS and my heart made me save him. I haven't got a clue if he's staying here, going to a rescue or being rehomed.

At the moment I'm watching him struggling to eat some veg :( It's heartbreaking. He's been fed on pellet and hay, I'm told his teeth problems aren't diet related.

you cannot assume a rescue will take him in..especially with his problems

has he had any anti biotics for the eye as it could be un related to his teeth..also constant tear duct flushing can actually worsen the problem as it stretches the tubes:?

grate some carrot, chop up some herbs finely and soften his pellets with cooled pre boiled water to help him eat

I know many people wouldn't agree with this, but if he was my rabbit, I'd put to sleep (following my own vet check and their opinion). He's most likely suffering, and if his teeth stick out sideways, its hardly going to get better. :( Just my opinion.

I know many people wouldn't agree with this, but if he was my rabbit, I'd put to sleep (following my own vet check and their opinion). He's most likely suffering, and if his teeth stick out sideways, its hardly going to get better. :( Just my opinion.

if he has regular dentals they shouldn't bother him ..unless the roots are casuing probs

It's quite common for molars to be misaligned like this. One of my buns (Fudge) has very few teeth and one of the remaining molars points towards his tongue. He can't have conscious dentals because he has no incisors for the gag to hook on to, so he has a gas GA to get them filed every month or so.

Lillian...any chance of a bit more info about this rabbit's history. Where is he from? What dental work did he have done 2 weeks ago? When did he last need his teeth doing previous to that? Have any other diagnostics been done? Has he been given antibiotics?

i have a bunny who was fed a poor diet and lived very cramped space he is also elderly he does have to have dentals but they are more and more infrequent now his diet has changed he too is a snuffles bun, though doesnt have watery eyes, i would want to see a rabbit savvy vet i trusted with him and see if the teeth can be kept in wear through diet and routine monitoring. in terms of his eyes i would want to know what the reason was for them being watery, is it to do with tooth roots, infection, onjunctivitus tube blocage or over flushing causing tear duct damage. also id want to get the bunny onto a pelleted diet and lots of hay, or an grass. id also want to ensure i could keep the teeth monitore by my vet wherever possible. i dont think its worth pts until you know exactly what you are dealing with and how it can be treated ! x

aww surely it can't be nice for the bun having his teeth growing through all the time, i assume it would be painful. Maybe it would be kinder to let him go? :cry:

It is painful, but only when a dental is overdue. If he is on pain relief and has regular dentals he will be in little, or no pain for the majoritory of the time with the right treatment.

Snowy on here has dental buns and gave some great advice the other day about something similar. :wave:

Snowy on here has dental buns and gave some great advice the other day about something similar. :wave:

Thanks Grin

Really the bunny needs to see a rabbit savvy vet for a full assessment so that you know what you are dealing with, but from what you are describing I certainly would NOT PTS, I have had bunnies with the stymptoms you describe come in to me and we have rectified their problems so please ignore the advice to PTS until you know what you are dealing with

There are many excellent vets around the country that practise concious dentals, I'm not sure if your vet does, has the bunny had any kind of treatment? antibiotics? what else has he had?

I have had dental bunnies come in to me and they are no longer dental bunnies because of the treatment they have had, even bunnies who's teeth grow at the wrong angle can be helped immensly and not need the constant dentals, the bunny will need to be checked regularly but it can be done, the key to it all is having an experienced rabbit savvy vet that can do concious dentals

Good luck and keep us posted

Thanks Grin

Really the bunny needs to see a rabbit savvy vet for a full assessment so that you know what you are dealing with, but from what you are describing I certainly would NOT PTS, I have had bunnies with the stymptoms you describe come in to me and we have rectified their problems so please ignore the advice to PTS until you know what you are dealing with

There are many excellent vets around the country that practise concious dentals, I'm not sure if your vet does, has the bunny had any kind of treatment? antibiotics? what else has he had?

I have had dental bunnies come in to me and they are no longer dental bunnies because of the treatment they have had, even bunnies who's teeth grow at the wrong angle can be helped immensly and not need the constant dentals, the bunny will need to be checked regularly but it can be done, the key to it all is having an experienced rabbit savvy vet that can do concious dentals

:wave: following on from this excellent advice by Snowy, I know you live in my area Lillian and Gill at Windelsham Village Vets is just up the road from you and is extremely bunny savvy :)

Thanks Grin

I always find Snowys posts about dental buns so encouraging and positive. :)

Back