• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel like Buckley is eating less hay... UD: adding forage stuff seems to be helping

Pebblesetc

Mama Doe
Or maybe I'm just giving him too much hay. He seems to eat most hay at night and he digs it all out of the box I put it in :)roll:)

He's still producing lots of golden, fibre-y poops but it just feels as though the quantity of hay he's consuming has gone down. He used to eat a whole box (coca cola fridgepack box) of hay a day and now he doesn't.

Not really sure if there's a point to this thread, just wanted to air my thoughts I think.

I think perhaps I do put more hay in the box than I used to, maybe the amount of hay is overwhelming him a bit and I should put less hay in the box at a time and just keep replenishing. I think that might help me monitor his consumption better as well... hmmm...

Just to add, I spoke to the vet about it last night when he called and he says not to worry about it if his poos are fine and there's lots of them (there are MILLIONS, I had to empty his corner tray twice yesterday he'd done so many poos :lol:).

Last edited:
I find mine eat more if I do as you said and keep adding smaller amounts throughout the day. I can kind of understand, as it smells so much fresher when it's just out of the bag/box.

See how he goes if you do that. It will be interesting to compare :)

Has ANYTHING changed in his environment? and i mean ANYTHING, eg, more foraged food, more pelletted food, more anything else, environment, etc etc.

Has ANYTHING changed in his environment? and i mean ANYTHING, eg, more foraged food, more pelletted food, more anything else, environment, etc etc.

I changed the duvet cover on the bed in his room as it was covered in little bits of hay but that's the only thing I can think of that has changed.

He's recently finished a 6 week course of Baytril so maybe his tummy is a bit confused at the moment as it is quite sudden to go from having a big dose of Baytril every day for 6 weeks to no baytril at all.

I changed the duvet cover on the bed in his room as it was covered in little bits of hay but that's the only thing I can think of that has changed.

He's recently finished a 6 week course of Baytril so maybe his tummy is a bit confused at the moment as it is quite sudden to go from having a big dose of Baytril every day for 6 weeks to no baytril at all.

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but did Buckley's RTI clear up with the baytril? Sorry if you've posted this somewhere else and I've missed it :oops:. Just interested to know if he has improved at all :)

Sorry, this is a bit off topic, but did Buckley's RTI clear up with the baytril? Sorry if you've posted this somewhere else and I've missed it :oops:. Just interested to know if he has improved at all :)

He doesn't have a pussy nose anymore :D He occasionally sneezes but our vet says that's something to do with the damage the RTI did to his nose as there's no pus or nasty green bunny boogers and it literally is maybe once a fortnight he'll do one sneeze :D

He seems SO much brighter now that he's no sneezing every 10 seconds and wiping his nose constantly.

Still have to make sure it doesn't come back but, fingers crossed, he's ok :)

He doesn't have a pussy nose anymore :D He occasionally sneezes but our vet says that's something to do with the damage the RTI did to his nose as there's no pus or nasty green bunny boogers and it literally is maybe once a fortnight he'll do one sneeze :D

He seems SO much brighter now that he's no sneezing every 10 seconds and wiping his nose constantly.

Still have to make sure it doesn't come back but, fingers crossed, he's ok :)

That's really, really good news. I'm pleased for him (and you). We are medicating Bunny at the moment (marbocyl for bordetella), so I hope we have as much success as you and Buckley :D

Last edited:
That's really, really good news. I'm pleased for him (and you). We are medicating Bunny at the moment (marbocyl for bortadella), so I hope we have as much success as you and Buckley :D

Aww, I hope you get some good results with the marbocyl :)
It's so nice when you can see them getting better :D

**noserubs for Bunny**

I got some dried dandelion feast and the apple and blackberry woodlands stuff today and have mixed it in with his hay.
I think he was getting bored of the ings on its own, the dandelion seems to be encouraging him to eat more hay :)
Still keeping a close eye on it, giving the vet regular updates, etc.

Also got some more fenugreeks, the appetite stimulant seems to be having the desired effect (touch wood!)

Currently have a bunny who is binkying from hay box to hay box foraging for dandelions and bramble leaves :)

Back