• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My parents' have got a dog to stay for the week...terrified

silverspider05

Warren Scout
My parents's are going to have my dad's friend's dog stay for the week. He is a lovely dog but is a born and bred rabbiter and the last time he stayed at the house I couldn't let Jake out and we had to hide him from the dog, and Jake wasn't happy about it. Now he's coming to stay again only this time I have Jemima too, (she has been bonded with Jake and I have only had her about two weeks) she is very nervous and I am so scared that she could get really stressed by the dog. Both rabbits are fine with my dog Tess as she tends to ignore them. Bailey however will actively hunt them down. My mum and I are not happy, but my dad is insisting it will be fine. It wouldn't be so much of a problem if I were there to keep an eye out for them and keep Bailey away, but its the same week im going away for a while! The dog is too strong for my mum to contend with and she is just as terrified for teh rabbits as I am. Dad won't listen and he gets grouchy if we try to raise our concerns. Has anyone else been in a similar situation or can suggest anything? :?

I have a foxterrier with me at the momment whilst his owners are on holiday, he's caught rabbits out on walks before his owners could grab him or realise what he was doing. I have the three outdoors and blckkack inside. I work around it when he's outside he's on a lungeline attached to us or the trampoline at opposite end of garden and can't see them and always with him and he isn't allowed to go near them. Then aswell he's only allowed downstairs whilst blackjack freeranges in half of upstairs. It works well aswell as managed very well. If were out he's shut in the kitchen which also has acess to the dining room. He's not allowed to wonder without one of us around. There's also a door shut were blackjack is.

I've got three others to look after aswell as him here next week a lurcher a parson jack Russell and a yorkie nd they will e treated the same as Monty with regards to rabbits

I would get a muzzle for him when hes near the rabbits,then if your mum does let go of him at least he wont be able to bite them,small consolation but at least they will have a chance

Where do your bunnies live? In the house or outside? If they are in the house, could you temporarily move them to your bedroom and keep the door locked? At least then they'd be able to have the run of the room.

I have 3 terriers who would love to munch my bunnies! I just ensure that they are seperated at all times, they each have their free range time in the garden everyday. :)

I have a patterdale terrier, well known for being the most hunting of the terriers. You just have to be very aware of where the dog is and where the bunnies are. It is up to the people in the house to be responsible and protect the buns from the dog. It is not the dog's fault that they are hardwired to attack and kill small furries. They need to be aware that if the buns are free ranging that the dog is elsewhere. Be very up on the fact that if people aren't used to keeping doors shut, then the rabbits could be at risk. I personally wouldn't allow my bunnies to be free range unless I myself was there to protect them. Dogs can whip through peoples legs so quickly as they open a door it's unreal.

I dogsit a collie a few times a week who is the exact same. It's just a case of making sure the rabbits are constantly secure.

Back