• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Where do you buy your Hay?

basirascal

Mama Doe
I would be really interested to know where everyone gets their Hay, whether it be pet shops, online or local source. What types do you buy, recommend and if you buy locally, what would you expect the average bale to be priced at? Twinkle is a massive Hay eater thank goodness, so I want to research alternative sources, varieties etc. Any input would be gratefully received:)

I buy a bale of farm hay. The last one cost just over £8 :shock:, but it was really lovely hay, fresh cut and green :) My buns adore it because it's got bits of dried plantain in it, which is their fave!

I have bought from Hay for Pets (online) in the past, and while the first bag I bought went down really well, the second one varied significantly (it was all stalky, which my buns don't like). I know that all hay will vary, but I decided to go back to bales as at least then I can see before I buy, and can choose the bale I want :)

I buy a bale from a local horse suppliers. They also stock a few pet items and are one of only two local places I know of who stock Science Selective so I can get everything I need (apart from herbs in winter) from there. A bale costs me £6.50 at the moment. It fluctuates, about 6 months ago it was £7, when I first started buying there about 18 months ago it was £4.75.

I was getting ings hay from hay for pets but as I'm skint now :( I got 2 bales of this years hay for a tenner from a local farmer which will go a heck of a lot longer. Happy days :D

I get Meadow Hay from Hay 4 pets. Its gorgeous, lovely sweet smelling and green. I get 2 x 9.5kg bags at a time for £32 and its great value. I use a lot of hay and this will usually last me around 3 weeks. The bags are compacted so there's more hay than you think from looking at the bag.

I used to buy Morrisons supermarket hay, but the last time I got a bale and it is so much better value! It was £5.99 for a bale.

i buy online from the hay experts, love the quality and speedy delivery, but i have it delivered to my work which really p***** off my supplies manager as he has hay fever:lol:

I buy my hay from here

http://www.eastwickanimalfeeds.co.uk/Home.html

I buy a bale at a time...was about £8/£9 last bale...1 & half years ago it was about £5...so has increased considerably..but thats all over so....it goes alooong way the bale and Ive had variations form them...grren & fine, thick & stalky (which my buns love)...somes smells lovely , last bale was abit dusty....so will mix the last bale with some shop bought hay ...just looking where to buy it from or will possibly get from hay for pets....

I know you can buy from Jolleys - about £6 for a compressed bale of 1ft X 2ft which they say goes 4 times the size...so may try there...will just check uality first and of course not sure I want to support them as they do sell animals sometimes.

i buy online from the hay experts, love the quality and speedy delivery, but i have it delivered to my work which really p***** off my supplies manager as he has hay fever:lol:

ooh Ive bought from them too...only when I do a big order of oxbow else it adds up - but their oats hays are lovely! as an extra add in!;)

they are great, used them for 4 years, can't fault them. I buy Western timothy hay from them, but its £30 for 4kgs, so I only use a handful or so a day, so it lasts me a good long while. I also buy small 1kg bags of herbal hay for variety too. It's also a great site for buying litter, pellet food and toys for your rabbits too.

well...just ordered some Ings hay & some timothy/rye hay from Hay for Pets....quite excited now...rung them up and the guy Graham was so lovely!:D

I buy hay bales from a local equestrian place, last week I also got a huge bale-sized sack of Readigrass for £10. If I've got the money for extra, I buy a selction of different hays and herbage from The Hay Experts.

I buy it from a pet shop at the moment, I have to buy 2 bags for the rabbits and guinea-pigs a week, so its costs £6 a week on hay, but I've found a place where I can get bales of hay for £8 which should last a month so I'll buy from there in the future :)

The main hay is from local farm bales, which I use to do the litter trays etc, but I also buy a selection of yummy hays from The Hay Experts which I use to fill their hay rack for variety :) I think that gives a good compromise between expensive treat hays in the rack, and baled hay for litter trays and general munching :)

I bought my first ever bale last week from Bentley Grange in West Yorks, it was £4.50 and the buns love it :D

Back