• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

did i do right?

sparkywrex

New Kit
today is one of the saddest days of my life, the lionhead rabbit,sinbad, i had since 2004 sadly passed away today

he was 2 when i had him so he was so nearly 10 years old, he should have died in 2008 as he had trouble with his teeth he dribbled alot and this caused scabs to appear under his chin, and he had major infection in his ear... my partner felt at this time it was his time but i fought back the tears and said no, it isnt his time, so we went ahead with the operation, he made a slow recovery and in 2009,2010 he had best years of his life...

but recently he started getting scruffy e.g scabs under chin and nose, i counter attacked this with vaseline to keep him clean, but he lost a lot of weight and gradually went down hill where this morning i went ot check on him and it looked like he suffered a stroke and couldnt get back up on his feet

reluctantly we agreed that now his time had come, and he was put to sleep at 9am uk time today :( right now i feel like ive lost a friend....i loved him so much

i kept his cage clean regularly did everything, but theres always that nagging doubt could i have done better for him??

Aww im so sorry your lost your little bun :cry:

It sounds like he was a very lucky bunny, well loved and cared for. There was nothing you could have done, he was an old bunny and unfortunately for us they just cant live forever :cry: (((HUGS)))

Sweet dreams Sinbad xxx

today is one of the saddest days of my life, the lionhead rabbit,sinbad, i had since 2004 sadly passed away today

he was 2 when i had him so he was so nearly 10 years old, he should have died in 2008 as he had trouble with his teeth he dribbled alot and this caused scabs to appear under his chin, and he had major infection in his ear... my partner felt at this time it was his time but i fought back the tears and said no, it isnt his time, so we went ahead with the operation, he made a slow recovery and in 2009,2010 he had best years of his life...

but recently he started getting scruffy e.g scabs under chin and nose, i counter attacked this with vaseline to keep him clean, but he lost a lot of weight and gradually went down hill where this morning i went ot check on him and it looked like he suffered a stroke and couldnt get back up on his feet

reluctantly we agreed that now his time had come, and he was put to sleep at 9am uk time today :( right now i feel like ive lost a friend....i loved him so much

i kept his cage clean regularly did everything, but theres always that nagging doubt could i have done better for him??

I am so sorry to hear about Sinbad. These little animals really do touch our hearts.

You are definitely not alone in having such thoughts. I have had bunnies since 1995. Everytime one has had to leave me for one reason or another I question as to whether or not I could have done more.

Many, many of us on RU will understand the feelings you are having right now.

If there is anything we can do or say to ease your pain.............we are here.

As I said, you are not alone.

Look after yourself and remember you are only human.

x

I'm so so sorry.:cry:

He had lived a good long time and it really sounds like you did the very best for him. Sometimes it comes to a point where you can do no more and the very kindest thing is to let them go.

Binky free little one.

From everything you've said you did everything you could - you were a brilliant bunny mum and I'm sure Sinbad knew this and loved you very very much. When his time was right to leave you, he did.

You have to remember the wonderful times you had together, and remember he's now at peace binkying free very happily.

Thanks for all replies means alot you wouldn't think I was a 27 year old lad into his footy and that, I'll miss him so much, today and the next few weeks will be tough but I really do hope he is up there running around pain free all I feel now is devastation can't stop crying doesn't help iv got a flu virus
Xx thank you everyone

It sounds like you did, yes. At least he is now free from pain and comfortable.

It is very sad though. Make sure you get some time for you.

I really do hope there is such thing as him now being pain free I've even phoned in sick for work tmw he had such fun with our other rabbit bella and the two young guinea pigs running around their run playing happily together I'll miss him eating his apples as he loved them used to hear him at night crunching through them :) xx

Oh please don't torture yourself with this:( I have just spent days trying to get over losing Basil last week. I kept thinking I had done something wrong, missed something or could have done more. It seems to me that Sinbad was a very much loved and cared for rabbit as was my Basil. You did your best and he lived a happy and long life with you. Now it was his time to go and I know how sad you are feeling, but remember, you always did your best. Binky free Sinbad.

He was an old bun and it sounds as though he had a lovely life, you obviously loved him and fought for him when he needed it. Cry as much as you need to, it does get easier with time, just doesn't feel like it atm. So sorry. :(

sorry for your loss. he lived to a great age and I think it was really brave of you to help him along his way, it's always a really hard decision to make.

When you feel up to it, we have a Rainbow Bridge section where you can put a tribute to him.

Take it easy, everyone on here knows how you geel so please come and chat if you need some support.

x

hello again, apologies for double posting

if your ten year old bunny had a stroke but couldnt get back up on his feet what would you have done? i just feel maybe i was too hasty to take him to vet and end his life

hello again, apologies for double posting

if your ten year old bunny had a stroke but couldnt get back up on his feet what would you have done? i just feel maybe i was too hasty to take him to vet and end his life

I would've taken him straight to the vets and gone with their advise. I'm sure you have done the right thing for him. Whenever, I have to have a much loved pet put to sleep I always wonder if it was too soon or the right decision, I think that's only natural. It sounds like you made the right decision and your bun had a good long life with you. So sorry for your loss xx

All you can do is what you thought was best for your bunny at the time; which you did :) The questions and he doubt is just the horrid process of grief. It's good you know, deep down, that you were right and it was best for him to let him go.

I had my elderly first rabbit put to sleep almost eight years ago and sometimes I still think about the circumstances and whether I could have done anything more. But I have to remind myself he was very old, he lived a good life, if he was a younger bunny I could have done this and I could have done that, but sometimes it's just not fair on the bunny and there is no guarantee it would work. Your bunny sounds like he lived a great life. You knew you didn't want to put him though a lot of surgery that may not have worked. You know your rabbit best, so it was the best decision for him.

Back