• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Separating after neutering UD Oddy has a hernia!

Debs+2

New Kit
I'll be taking my male bun Fidget to be neutered in about a week. The vet we spoke to said that because they are both still young, we shouldn't seperate them after his op but I'm a bit confused.

He shouldn't be particularly groggy when I get him back, but he'll no doubt be sore and I would have thought it better to keep them apart to stop him getting hurt and to let him rest? On the other hand, I'm worried if I do seperate them that they won't want to be together again. And knowing my luck I'll end up with 12 bunnies instead of just two!

I'd be interested to hear any suggestions on what works best.

Debs

Last edited:
What do you have at the moment? A male and a female together?

If that is the case, then yes, definitely separate because he will make her pregnant- they are fertile for up to 6 weeks after their neuter.

Once she has been spayed and recovered then you can rebond back. There is always the chance they won't rebond, but that goes along with any pairs with babies in.

Hiya. Thanks for replying.

I have a boy and a girl, from the same litter. We're getting Fidget done first,(the boy) and then Oddbod later on when she's a bit older. The vet seemed to think we would be ok as they are both still young (around 5 months) but I just don't want babies!

I have a boy and a girl, from the same litter. We're getting Fidget done first,(the boy) and then Oddbod later on when she's a bit older. The vet seemed to think we would be ok as they are both still young (around 5 months) but I just don't want babies!

I'd never risk it, they can breed really young! Maybe you could keep them apart but house them so that they can still see and smell each other somehow. Might be a pain short term but maybe they'll be more likely to get on well when they're back together? I'm no expert but it makes sense to me :)

:shock: If they are already five months then you might already have babies on the way. I think you need to separate them now and find a different vet, to be honest.

Hi :wave:

We've decided to get them both done this Thursday. That way we can be sure there'll be no unexpected surprises!

I think Fidget might have been a late bloomer as he's only started doing the mating bit since Monday. Before that he was chinning things but not trying to mate with them. Odd just looks at him like 'I think not' and runs away. I don't think his wooing technique is up to much, bless him!

I'll be a nervous wreck on Thursday!

I've just been to collect my buns from the vet after their ops and it took them ages to bring them through from the back. When the vet nurse finally appeared, she only had Fidget and my heart just dropped.

She said Oddy has herniated and they need to reopen the stitches and fix it before she can come home.:( Has this happened to anyone else? Really worried I'm going to lose her.

I've just been to collect my buns from the vet after their ops and it took them ages to bring them through from the back. When the vet nurse finally appeared, she only had Fidget and my heart just dropped.

She said Oddy has herniated and they need to reopen the stitches and fix it before she can come home.:( Has this happened to anyone else? Really worried I'm going to lose her.

oh my goodness can you not leave your boy in the recovery until they can come home together? thats awful so no experience just sending positive vibes i am guessing they will charge you though for keeping the boy in with her unless they take pity and have a heart? it may help each other to recover if they not been separated before.

sorry to read this hun x

Back