• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Roxy changed since spey :(

Peanut-Toffee

Warren Veteran
Roxy was neutered Monday, before she was always friendly, loved cuddles and licked me.
Now she grunts everytime I go near her and lunges at me when I try and pick her up, starting to regret having it done :(
Shes on pain relief so it cant be because shes in pain.
Shes eating and pooing normally and is still in her zoozone indoor recovery cage but I want to move her back into her hutch but how can I if she wont let me touch her??

It's been less than 48 hours. She's entitled to be a bit grumpy, she's just had a major op!

Perhaps try going back to basics. Chatting and handfeeding, moving onto stroking etc. Only pick her up for the essentials like wound checking and bum checking...

When my fosters were speyed a few weeks ago, they were quite 'different' for a few days. A spey is quite a big operation, and really takes it out of them. She might be feeling a bit defensive as she has the operation wound on her tummy, which must feel a bit odd to her :(.

If you are worried, I would suggest giving your vet a call and explain her behaviour and checking what he/she thinks. He/she could have a look over her and make sure the stitches etc all look ok - have you checked her tummy to make sure the stitches are still in place (if she had them), and the wound is nicely closed?

But, I would also say that just a couple of days after her spey, she is certainly still in recovery mode, so might be behaving a bit differently.

Do you think you'd feel happy and bouncy after a hysterectomy? :)

Nope is the answer :lol:

Pain relief for several days and let her recover at her own pace :)

Dont worry, a spay for a doe is a HUGE operation. Even if she isnt in pain she will be feeling very vulnerable and probably pretty angry at humans in general.

Give her some time and space, Im sure she'll be back to normal in no time :wave:

Gosh, Impatient much!

Try and stop and think from HER point of view, and what she has been through, how much it will hurt (because it will hurt regardless of pain relief), how you've broke her trust by 'abandoning' her at a scary place, although you did come back, how she likely just wants to sleep and you're in there 'annoying' her all the time.

If she is eating and doing all the things she should be then respect the huge ordeal she has gone through and give her some space.

Im not being impatient, I need to pick her up to check her wound and Im not able to!
Shes meant to be back at the vets tomorrow morning for a check up but how can I if I cant pick her up??

And Im not 'annoying her all the time' when shes sleeping, I only go in to her if I see shes up and about/eating etc

Im not being impatient, I need to pick her up to check her wound and Im not able to!
Shes meant to be back at the vets tomorrow morning for a check up but how can I if I cant pick her up??

Are you able to just carefully lift up her front paws to get a look at her tummy? She might allow you to do this as it isn't quite so invasive for her. If she is actually biting, you may need gloves on. You must be getting near her somehow though to give her the painkillers?

You need to take her warning, and be careful with her, and do it anyway.

Sometimes getting her to stretch up the bars for treats and looking at the wound can be effective too.

As soon as I put my hands anywhere near her side she goes for me, all Im trying to do is put my hand behind her front legs, nowhere near the wound.

You need to take her warning, and be careful with her, and do it anyway.

Sometimes getting her to stretch up the bars for treats and looking at the wound can be effective too.

:lol: I learned this trick recently as well. It's much easier than stressing them out by having a pair of hands come towards them. This is a really good idea, you could try this Peanut-Toffee?

Really really early days yet.:) I'm sure she will come round when she is feeling better. Just a thought, could you try wrapping a small blanket round her so she feels safer and you may get a chance to have a quick look at her wound. Try dropping it on to her from above and then gently lifting her blanket and all, if that makes sense. Do be careful though, for yourself and for your bun. It used to work with Basil if he was a bit grumpy and had to have meds.

Edited to add: Would she just go into her vet carry cage on her own, so that you don't have to handle her when you take her to the vet?:)

Last edited:
Use thick gardening gloves so if she comes for you she can't actually hurt you, but I suspect that means she is probably hurting an awful lot.

i found myself in this situation when i had pippa done, altho she let me look at her wound after a few goes at me. give her time. its the best thing i did for pippa :)

ah bless you - very worrying indeed...use gloves to cover your hands and try to get her to stretch for treats as Sky-O suggested....Id think that she is prob in a lot of pain and doesnt understand how to deal with it. This does mean that oyu need to ensure her wound has not reopened etc though as this would cause more pain. I found I could alsp peek when they layed on their sides resting. You will just have to gently lift her paws up and have alook...and then re-assure her with a treat..or perhaps do it just before her meds...I presume she is eating them in a treat as such...so hopoefully she will then taker her meds and also start to feela little less sore. My girls took a good few days to recover...and a week before they were let into a larger area...though they felt they were ready before hand..I didnt want to risk ramps and jumping etc. Hope Roxy will be feeling alittle better soon....bless her...vibes for Roxy:)

I really feel for you.:wave:

My rabbit's a boy, and he was neutered ages ago, but he still almost impossible to handle. When I collected him from his neuter back in March the vet made a great point of telling me how important it was to check his wound ... then found she couldn't do it herself!

I hope Roxy is soon feeling better and makes life a bit easier for you. :)

also after a spey they are hormone crazy this settles within around 4 weeks you will have your freindly bunny back imagine if you had a huge op and were sore and someone wanted you to be all freindly to them..... i think you would tell them where to go too!!! :) x

I managed to get her out for a cuddle, checked her wound and moved her back into her hutch and shes changed a lot now, she looks so happy now shes back in familiar surroundings!

Back