• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Really quick question...

Pix

Warren Scout
I posted earlier in behaviour and bonding, but it's a bit quiet over there.

In a nutshell. I have two buns where were bonded as kits, but separated at maturity for neutering. I'm trying to rebond them. They've had 'dates' for as long as they've been apart. One was disasterous and resulted in a fight, but most of the others have been really good. (There have been occasional ones where one persistently tries to mount the other and the other is clearly not enjoying it - but only a couple of these and not recently). Anyway - I have a bonding pen set up in my kitchen. They've been in together since 10am. No fighting, no nipping as far as I can tell. The very occasional chase, but could be playing rather than chasing. And two very half-hearted mounting attempts from her earlier this afternoon.

My question is - can I go to bed if I leave all the doors open? Or do I need to stay here with a light on and watch them?

I posted earlier in behaviour and bonding, but it's a bit quiet over there.

In a nutshell. I have two buns where were bonded as kits, but separated at maturity for neutering. I'm trying to rebond them. They've had 'dates' for as long as they've been apart. One was disasterous and resulted in a fight, but most of the others have been really good. (There have been occasional ones where one persistently tries to mount the other and the other is clearly not enjoying it - but only a couple of these and not recently). Anyway - I have a bonding pen set up in my kitchen. They've been in together since 10am. No fighting, no nipping as far as I can tell. The very occasional chase, but could be playing rather than chasing. And two very half-hearted mounting attempts from her earlier this afternoon.

My question is - can I go to bed if I leave all the doors open? Or do I need to stay here with a light on and watch them?

personally I would stay with them. Can you set up a little bed for the night so you can keep an eye and ear open.. it only takes a second for a fight and if you were near you can stop it quickly. You don't necessarily need to keep the light on just sleep near.
Now they are together I would leave them together as the 'dating' just prolongs things and seems like you are getting somewhere now. Dont worry about the humping either - thats normal!

Do you have any jingly balls? Put a couple of those in and leave the doors open (I slept in with my lot) and if they fight you'll hear it providing you aren't a real heavy sleeper.

I don't have jingly balls, no. But I'm also not a heavy sleeper at all. In fact, if i try to sleep down here - I don't imagine I'll sleep at all.

I might see if I can talk Mr into bringing the futon mattress downstairs...

The reason I worry about the mounting is because the fight was as a result of his getting peed off with her insistent and continual mounting. He tried to run away. She wasn't having it. He got peed off with it and and fur flew everywhere.

The reason I worry about the mounting is because the fight was as a result of his getting peed off with her insistent and continual mounting. He tried to run away. She wasn't having it. He got peed off with it and and fur flew everywhere.

Yes I can see that would start a fight, there tends to be more mounting early on as they are trying to sort out dominance. If its head end or one is getting annoyed its better to intervene.
Good luck tonight - I hope you get some sleep!!

sleep there with them...i did this for a week with mine..its worth it in the end...mine usually kicked off at 1am and 3/4am. If she insists on mounting him...let her for a little while and talk gently and stroke him to enable and encourage him to relax. Then is she doesnt move off after abit..then gently push her off him so he has a break. Mounting is fine...but being persistent may just aggrevate him...so try to help them both...is she the dominant one usually then>

sleep there with them...i did this for a week with mine..its worth it in the end...mine usually kicked off at 1am and 3/4am. If she insists on mounting him...let her for a little while and talk gently and stroke him to enable and encourage him to relax. Then is she doesnt move off after abit..then gently push her off him so he has a break. Mounting is fine...but being persistent may just aggrevate him...so try to help them both...is she the dominant one usually then>

Yup. As all my work collegues find hilarious. (My hubby works for the same company as me, and all my collegues say he's henpecked - so they say it's only fair that the same dynamic works for our buns!)

As for encouraging him to put up with the mounting. I have tried that before. But he just runs off now when she gets into that kind of mood. No need to pacify him and encourage him to relax - he's disappeared off - sometimes with her in hot pursuit.

She's just gotten her 'frisk on'. Think I will start trying to bring the mattress down and see if Mr gets the hint...

I got a little bit. I set an alarm every hour. (just on vibrate) in case I slept through any mischief. All was quiet from maybe 2.30 till 5 ish. So I was mainly resting then. And I did nip up to bed once I'd given them their breakfast at about 6.30 until 9ish when she decided to try to eat the box I'd put straw in for them to play with.

Sleeping on two beanbags and a cushion was not appreciated by my poor back!

While I'm chatting in here can I please ask another couple of questions?

How long should I keep the buns in the indoor pen? And how do I get them back out into the hutch?

I'd leave them together until you've had at least 48 hours with no fighting. How big is the pen? and how big is their hutch? Have you neutralised it by spraying over with vinegar?

Hopefully Janice will see this thread, she knows her stuff with bonding. :)

Pen is quite big. I know some people on here advocate small, but a friend who volunteers at a rabbit rescue said they do it big rather than small. So in trying that.

So, the pen is about 7x7. Although the buns are rarely more than a foot apart bless them!

Have rinsed down run (6x4) and hutch (4x2x2 double decker) with a solution of half vinegar, half warm water. (I know that neither hutch nor run are ideal sizes, but plans are afoot for a 5x7 bunshed, and the run is only an interim measure until I a) make a bigger one and b) finish bunnyproofing the garden for freeranging.)

It's been over a week since the last squabble and they've had daily 'dates' but they've been in together full time for only about 27 hours.

I wouldn't move them untill there has been 24-48hours of no fighting. When I bonded my three boys, I stayed with them 27/7 for about 72hours.

Pen is quite big. I know some people on here advocate small, but a friend who volunteers at a rabbit rescue said they do it big rather than small. So in trying that.

So, the pen is about 7x7. Although the buns are rarely more than a foot apart bless them!

Have rinsed down run (6x4) and hutch (4x2x2 double decker) with a solution of half vinegar, half warm water. (I know that neither hutch nor run are ideal sizes, but plans are afoot for a 5x7 bunshed, and the run is only an interim measure until I a) make a bigger one and b) finish bunnyproofing the garden for freeranging.)

It's been over a week since the last squabble and they've had daily 'dates' but they've been in together full time for only about 27 hours.

Ah so your pen size is similar to your hutch size (the shed sounds great ;)). I'd leave them together now for a few days and neutralise the hutch while they are inside. Maybe try to pick a nice day to put them out so you can keep an eye on them for a few hours just to check they are ok in the new space. :)

There's been no aggression at all for 27 hours of being in together full time. And no aggression for over a week of in together part time.

Perhaps I should play it safe...

Back