• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies say "White Hoomins" on the 1st of the month

martyn_t

Mama Doe
Like my Gran used to say 'White rabbits' on the first of the month?

Has anyone else heard of this? I don't know if it was 'for luck' or anything, just something she used to do.

(She wasn't senile :D)

Has anyone else heard of this? I don't know if it was 'for luck' or anything, just something she used to do.

my nan and whole family says rabbits rabbits rabbits on the 1st of the month no idea why? first time i said it to my OH he looked at me like i was loopy lol

This will now become a tradition in my house! :D I love it! It's guaranteed to drive everyone in my family nuts.:lol:

When I remember it's 'white rabbits, white rabbits. white rabbits' :)

I don't think the bunnies would bother with things like that - they're more bothered about saying 'oi! where's me food???' :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Why do you say that one the first of every month? :?
Also why do people say hello to magpies!?...You British are slight odd me thinks! :lol:

My first boyfriend's mum used to call me Magpie (because I talked too much...not really it was sarcasm).
I would figure it's done as some kind of superstition for good luck. Or a reference to Lewis Carroll perhaps?:D

we used to say (and do the actions on someone) `pinch and a punch for the 1st day of the month` but if you said `white rabbit` before they said anything then you are immune to being pinched and pucnhed :lol:

Why do you say that one the first of every month? :?
Also why do people say hello to magpies!?...You British are slight odd me thinks! :lol:

Only single magpies, you're supposed to greet them and dip your head/salute them I believe :wave:

There's a rhyme that goes,

1 for sorrow
2 for joy
3 for a girl
4 for a boy
5 for silver
6 for gold
7 for a secret, never to be told :wave:

So if you see 1 magpie, you greet him to counteract that sorrow :)

My Nan and Mom always said "White rabbits" on the first of the month so I suppose that's why I say it!

The weirdest thing I ever knew of was someone I knew, if she saw a Magpie, used to say "Morning Captain" and pretend to spit :shock:

I've never heard the 'white rabbit' thing! :shock: :oops: Where does that come from then? We said the 'pinch and a punch' thing.

I always salute single magpies though! :oops:

Only single magpies, you're supposed to greet them and dip your head/salute them I believe :wave:

There's a rhyme that goes,

1 for sorrow
2 for joy
3 for a girl
4 for a boy
5 for silver
6 for gold
7 for a secret, never to be told :wave:

So if you see 1 magpie, you greet him to counteract that sorrow :)

Ahhh Riiight! Ok now I don't think my friends are THAT insane anymore...When they said it my face was usually like so... :?
:lol:

I would say the rabbit thing if I remembered, you are meant to say it before anything else and then not say white rabbit again until the next month.

I also say hello Mr Magpie where is Mrs Magpie?, When I see a single magpie:oops:

Back