• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

wet around tail etc

Charm

Young Bun
My little bun was 9 at easter. He has a cataract in his eye and really is a little softy. But for the past month or two I have noticed he is weeing and its sticking all around underneath his tail etc. He tries to clean it but is getting quite weak as he becomes more older. I have tried putting him in the bath and gently washing underneath and then blow drying him gently but the next day its as bad as every.. He seems to pee a lot and sits in it. Apart from this he is eating well and seems happy enough although he is getting frail, like a little old man. I am scared to take him to the vet in case they suggest putting him to sleep. Has anybody else had this with an older bun??:(

I really think a trip to the vet is a good plan for him. If that's the only problem he has I doubt the vet will advise PTS. He may have a touch of arthritis which is making it difficult for him to get in the correct position for peeing and washing. If this is the case your vet may prescribe some anti inflammatory pain relief to see if that helps. Or it could be a bladder stone, bladder sludge or UTI. All of which are treatable.

Vets really don't encourage you to PTS unless the animal is suffering and can't be fixed.

He needs to see a vet. You may also want to talk to the vet about the risks of flystrike if he has incontinence problems.

They won't advise PTS unless the quality of life is poor and even then you are free to ignore their advise if you disagree.

Speak to the vets and discuss possible athritis also, as if his joints are hurting, he may be in pain when trying to clean, so doesn't bother :wave:

Hello,

I had the same problem, my bunny Smartie is 10ish, we have only had her for about 2 months but I noticed poo and wee started to stick around her tail.

We just clean it daily, we took her to the vets as was told that its her age, nothing to worry about.

Worth getting checked out tho!

Well took him to the vets tonight. She said thats its a kidney stone. She said his bladder was still full and the stone is possiby blocking the entrance letting just bits of pee pee get out. She said they could operate but the chances of him surviving the operation were slim and even if he did survive his quality of life afterwards would not be very good and he could die. So he got an injection of antibiotics and another course to be taken daily for a week. So I will let you know how he gets on.:(

Aaaaw, poor bun. How rabbit savvy is your vet? Di the vet say it was a bladder or kidney stone? If it's a kidney stone then it won't be stopping him pee. Did she do an x-ray to confirm this?

It does sound a little like you are being fobbed off to me. I'd try getting a second opinion from another vet. Whereabouts do you live? Maybe you could get a recommendation from someone on here :wave:

Back