• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Back from the Vets.

whitehood

Warren Veteran
Lucky has been on meds (baytril) this didn't work and was given twice daily.
After he finished the first bottle of baytril, I went and bought more to clear remaining bacteria.
Even after this, the symptoms didn't go away.

Baytril, isn't working ..

I wanted him to fight it off by himself, this isn't working either.

If I go to the vets again does anyone know what will need to be pescribed ?

Is there a medicine that attacks loads of types of bacteria?

Any additional advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I see you've had an answer. :)

I hope Lucky will make a good recovery but I think if it was me I would ask the vet if there could be an underlying condition.

Septrin :wave:

Thanks, shall ask her advice and see if she mentions Septrin, if she doesn't then shall mention it to her.

I see you've had an answer.

I hope Lucky will make a good recovery but I think if it was me I would ask the vet if there could be an underlying condition.

Thanks, what's an underlying conditon ?
Things like hay stuck up the nose or dental issues ?

Does anyone know if there any more?

You can try other antibiotics. Seprim, as Georgeypudding said, or depocillin which must be given by injections. If he's not been on antibiotics for a week you could have a culture and sensitivity test done. I don't know how much they cost, but they will be able to tell you exactly which antibiotics will be best against the bacteria he has. :wave:

You can try other antibiotics. Seprim, as Georgeypudding said, or depocillin which must be given by injections. If he's not been on antibiotics for a week you could have a culture and sensitivity test done. I don't know how much they cost, but they will be able to tell you exactly which antibiotics will be best against the bacteria he has. :wave:

I'll have to think about this now, involving costs

I went to the vets first time, spent £30 (consultation + meds)
Went second time for more meds, spent £30 (consultation + meds )

£60

A C&S test probably costs roughly £50, I wish I did this before, I would've known what I was dealing with and meds for an extra £10, that would of have been better :roll:

Stuck now, don't know whether to just go for septrin amd see if that works.
If it does yay!
If it doesn't then C&S it is, but then I would think I shouldve done this before .

Wish I was a working adult so I wouldn't have to think about this :/

ETA: heard poor Lucky sneeze 3 times, checked his nose it had white discharge in it, I touched his nose with a bit of vicks on my finger.

Does white charge mean anything? Other than being a symptom.

Last edited:
While it is possible to culture the bacterium and perform antibiotic sensitivities, this organism can be fussy and hard to grow in a lab, and may not survive transfer from the rabbit to the lab. Other rests include a Pasteurella titer, which may be difficult to interpret, as one positive test only shows that the rabbit has been exposed to the organism. It usually takes a second titer, run two to three weeks after the first, to show if the rabbit has an active infection. A newer test is called a DNA PCR, and this test is very accurate. A swab is taken of a suspected pasteurellosis lesion, and sent to a lab where they will amplify a portion of the DNA of the organism, and then identify it. Since it doesn't require live organisms to grow, it can pick up cases that cultures can miss.

Source : http://www.exoticpetvet.net/smanimal/rabbit.html

Has anyone heard of this ?

Other site:

Pets:
If your pet rabbit has an upper respiratory infection due to bordetella, the chances are very good that there are more germs than just Bordetella involved. A dreaded and likely second germ is Pasteurella (snuffles). Please understand...
If this is the case, the chance of a ‘cure’ for your rabbit is minimal; you’re looking at course after expensive course of antibiotics for as long as the animal lives.

If your pet rabbit has a ‘simple’ case of bordetella alone -- we can always hope! -- antibiotic treatment may very well help your pet return to health. Just know that it will probably still carry the germs even if it is no longer sick, and may be prone to respiratory problems in the future. But who knows, maybe it will go on to live a long happy life...!

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/bordetella-in-rabbits.html

Last edited:
You could try Septrin, however, it's not really any stronger than Baytril, so not sure on its viability.

I'd personally, if Lucky can handle it, come off the ABx for a week - then have a C&S test done, then see if that comes back with a particular bacteria so you can work out which ABx is required to fight it.

I'd recommend not just the ABx, but also metacam daily to help any inflammation in his nasal ducts and perhaps bisolvon on his food to try and thin any thick discharge to help him get rid.

You could try Septrin, however, it's not really any stronger than Baytril, so not sure on its viability.

I'd personally, if Lucky can handle it, come off the ABx for a week - then have a C&S test done, then see if that comes back with a particular bacteria so you can work out which ABx is required to fight it.

I'd recommend not just the ABx, but also metacam daily to help any inflammation in his nasal ducts and perhaps bisolvon on his food to try and thin any thick discharge to help him get rid.

Should I just try the C&S test, and leave Septrin?
It'll save money if the Septrin doesn't work.
I'll see what she suggests . .

Sorry, I sound confusing

Having spent hundreds of pounds over the years 'guessing' what the best antibiotic would be for Santa, I would thoroughly recommend C&S testing early on if possible. Septrin seems to work for some, but not for others (it didn't work for Santa) and it is inactivated by pus so it isn't necessarily an effective choice in a bun with a lot of discharge. It also has quite a limited spectrum of effectiveness, whereas something like baytril or engemycin seems to be broader.

Whether septrin will work, or any other antibiotic for that matter, depends on exactly what the bacteria, what is is sensitive to, and how accessible the infection is to the antibiotic. I would strongly recommend a C&S test if you can - it may cost more now but if you get a confirmation from it, it could save you an awful lot in the long run. Good luck xx

Having spent hundreds of pounds over the years 'guessing' what the best antibiotic would be for Santa, I would thoroughly recommend C&S testing early on if possible. Septrin seems to work for some, but not for others (it didn't work for Santa) and it is inactivated by pus so it isn't necessarily an effective choice in a bun with a lot of discharge. It also has quite a limited spectrum of effectiveness, whereas something like baytril or engemycin seems to be broader.

Whether septrin will work, or any other antibiotic for that matter, depends on exactly what the bacteria, what is is sensitive to, and how accessible the infection is to the antibiotic. I would strongly recommend a C&S test if you can - it may cost more now but if you get a confirmation from it, it could save you an awful lot in the long run. Good luck xx

Thank you Santa
I'll go with the with the the C&S test it'll cost about £50, but that's roughly equivalent to two vet trips I've gone to.
If we know the bacteria then we can eliminate it !
What's does this mean “if you get a confirmation from it ?
:wave:

She means hopefully it will tell you what bacteria it is, but sometimes unfortunatly like with my bunny the results are inconclusive.

Thank you. Its a little more difficult and can be extreamly frustrating at times trying all the various antibiotics but he's stable at the mo which is great. Also I don't regret paying for the c&s test even though it didn't help us because the chance that it could of helped was worth every penny.

Thank you. Its a little more difficult and can be extreamly frustrating at times trying all the various antibiotics but he's stable at the mo which is great. Also I don't regret paying for the c&s test even though it didn't help us because the chance that it could of helped was worth every penny.

A newer test is called a DNA PCR, and this test is very accurate. A swab is taken of a suspected pasteurellosis lesion, and sent to a lab where they will amplify a portion of the DNA of the organism, and then identify it. Since it doesn't require live organisms to grow, it can pick up cases that cultures can miss.

Source : http://www.exoticpetvet.net/smanimal/rabbit.html

Have you heard of this ?
I didn't, came across it on the website above.

I haven't but from lesions, I presume it is talking about absesses caused by pastrella which in my case would not be relevant as Bluebell doesn't have any.

I Know this has already been said but definately have a culture done. If it is bordetella then baytril will have NO effect on it, you're wasting your money & bun's illness will get worse.

Good luck & hope bun gets well soon

I Know this has already been said but definately have a culture done. If it is bordetella then baytril will have NO effect on it, you're wasting your money & bun's illness will get worse.

Good luck & hope bun gets well soon

Thanks, am going to email my vet tomorrow and ask how much one costs.

Back