• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just seen rabbit in tiny hutch!!!U/D nothings changed!

loulabell

Warren Scout
As title says, while driving into town this morning i noticed a tiny little hutch in a garden on the main road, no fence up around the garden so was able to see in, when i had a good look i could see a rabbit in it!! :shock:
the hutch is only 2/3 foot at a guess defenatly no more than 3ft.
i intend to post some leaflets through the post (anonymously).
one being a hutch is not enough, any other ideas of leaflets i can add?
Also am i doing the right thing????

Last edited:
When I read the title the first thing I thought was 'post leaflets through door'. Maybe you could include spome pictures of decent rabbit housing, and of a rabbit binkying in the air to prove your point.

The RSPCA will go and check it out...if the waterbottle has green mould in it - it proves that it has not been cleaned properly or refreshed and has been there for days as the mould has had time to grow....this was what got the RSPCA jumping up & down when I reported an issue with rabbits....otherwise Im not sure if they would have done much. But it did help change things.

Id push some leaflets through the door or even knock and have a friendly chat...if nothing happens then report them...you never know it may be sadly ignorance.:?:(

Definitely post the letters through the door - perhaps they don't know better, shops like P@H are rubbish on their bunny advice. Definitely give them a link to the RU forum.

I'd make sure it was phrased in a loving and caring way.

Alternatively if it looks like the bunny is ignored give them links to the rabbitrehome website, RU and a couple of local rescues for advice.

The RSPCA will go and check it out...if the waterbottle has green mould in it - it proves that it has not been cleaned properly or refreshed and has been there for days as the mould has had time to grow....this was what got the RSPCA jumping up & down when I reported an issue with rabbits....otherwise Im not sure if they would have done much. But it did help change things.

Id push some leaflets through the door or even knock and have a friendly chat...if nothing happens then report them...you never know it may be sadly ignorance.:?:(

I could see from the road that the water bottle was clear (thats the 1st thing i looked at). The hutch is a typical size of a local pet shop here, i had a similar thing with my neighbour a couple of years ago, she brought the rabbit and hutch from this pet shop he told her the rabbit did'nt need a big hutch as it was a dwarf!!! :censored:. I would'nt mind betting this rabbit and hutch has come from the same pet shop. I think im going to inform the RWA as the hutches he sells are a lot smaller than the reccomended size.

Hi Lou, I've just seen this poor rabbit. I can't believe how anyone could even consider putting a rabbit in this type of hutch. There's not even a sign of any run in the garden. What a thoroughly miserable life this poor bun is living. Posting leaflets seems like the only option, but I'm worried that if we do that they might just move the cage where we can't see it then we won't be able to check on it. :cry:

Hi Lou, I've just seen this poor rabbit. I can't believe how anyone could even consider putting a rabbit in this type of hutch. There's not even a sign of any run in the garden. What a thoroughly miserable life this poor bun is living. Posting leaflets seems like the only option, but I'm worried that if we do that they might just move the cage where we can't see it then we won't be able to check on it. :cry:

i know em, its very destressing to see this going on under your nose! :(
Im also concernd there's no fence around the garden on a main road aswell, anyone could walk off the pavement and up to the cage he/she could end up as snake food :shock: I really dont know the best course of action,
was hopeing for some help/advice from the forum. XXX

all you can really do is post leaflets and if nothing changes after a week i would try reporting them....un less you feel confident enough to knock on door and have a word with them :D

I've just printed a letter off from the rabbit welfare section it says all i want to say really so im going to post that and some leaflets see what happens. X

Leaflets and an anonymous letter would do I think.

My next door neighbour has a pretty Harlequin nethie doe that she got because she saw how Frank was with me :roll: but kept her in one of P@H smallest cages (before they stopped selling them)

When I commented that she'd need a bigger hutch she told me 'But she's so little, wouldn't too much space frighten her?' then she showed me an outdated rabbit book she got from a boot sale which does indeed tell her to get a small hutch as well as feed her a bowl full of muesli every day with a handful of hay.

So long story short I explained to her that they need big areas to live in and showed her how Frank lives and now she has cornered off a quarter of her Garden with a rabbit proof fence and leave the little hutch's door open right until about 8 oclock. I would still prefer her to get a bigger hutch but it's an improvement.

As I was saying -cough- some people don't know the correct way to look after a rabbit and just need a good kick in the right direction. If they're good people then they want to do the best for the pets.

Ok so i've printed off the letter from the RWA website and added a hutch is not enough leaflet, How long do i wait to see if anything changes? and if it dosen't what do i do next?

Well I suppose you can't expect results straight away, they might need to wait until pay day to start deciding what they will do...after posting, report, so they can check that the owner is making plans to improve living?

I know it's wrong but my heart would say steal the poor bunny :lol: even though I know I can't.

Well I suppose you can't expect results straight away, they might need to wait until pay day to start deciding what they will do...after posting, report, so they can check that the owner is making plans to improve living?

I know it's wrong but my heart would say steal the poor bunny :lol: even though I know I can't.

Believe me i thought about it so many times!!! but thay'd prob just go and buy another one!! and i know its not the answer however much i want to. :(
theres no fence round the garden so anybody could just walk in and take it. :(

Back