• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grow your own rabbit munchies - any ideas

Sherlock

Warren Scout
Hello RU,

This year I've grown some things for my bunnies in the garden and they've loved it so much that next year I'm going to turn over all my annual growing space to bunny munchies (special treats or regular munchies). Everything I grow is organic, and ideally should be fast growing as I have 5 bunnies here who love munchies and 2 friends bunnies who will be joining in too. Ideally easy to grow too, as I'm not the best green fingered person.

So far my list of things are:
  • Parsley
  • Basil
  • Dandelions - looking for seeds now

I also have in pots:
  • Rosemary - a couple in pots
  • Mints - I have masses in pots but I need to clarify which ones are edible by bunnies and which ones aren't as some are poisonous to bunnies

My lawn is mostly comprised of grass and clover - so my bunnies love handfuls of this too.

Does anyone else have anything to suggest? I live in rented accommodation so I can't plant anything which doesn't go in pots or my big salad bag.

carrots and parsnips can grow in pots - you don't get big ones but you get lots of tops! You need deep pots and a sandy soil mix.

similarly radish and beetroot for the tops

celery can grow in pots too. cabbages probably would but they take a long time.....

I agree with what Kate B has said. You can get small varieties of carrots such as Parmex and Chantenay which produce a small amount of carrot and a lot of top, so I've been growing them in window box sized containers, but I also have some normal sized carrots in as well in bigger tubs.

its possible to grow cabbage and cauliflower in pots but they take a long time and you would probably only fit in one per pot, so I wouldnt bother to be honest (even though I have to experiment).

Fennel, raddichio, rocket, radishes, celery, swiss chard, spinach, can all be easily grown in pots.

Herbs and flowers you could grow are: parsley, coriander, basil, mint, lemon balm, lovage, sage, rosemary, oregano, thyme, violas, borage, nasturtiums, chamomile, dwarf sunflowers, calendulas, lavender, plantain, dandelions (give in small amounts).

wow - great variety of choice given...your garden is going to be a bountiful bunny playground!:love::D You can also add brambles ...though they can take over...so perhaps pots too! Apple & pear trees are great too...if you wan to grow tree's!:lol: Buns love the leaves and branches for gnawing....

I think whats been mentioned already is what Id have said too!:wave:
Cant wait to see pics of your garden when its all planted!;)

I forgot strawberries. Really easy to grow in pots.

I'm not sure about which mints are ok and which are not, but I think that pennyroyal mint is NOT safe.

Thanks for all of the fantastic ideas :D - I'm off to start researching where I can buy good seeds from. If anyone knows of any please let me know.

I've got some wild blackberries growing at the bottom of the car park already - are they okay to give the leaves or leaves and twigs - or will the thorns hurt them?

You can get plantain, timothy grass seeds and maybe dandelions from the Hay Experts.

If you cant get dandelions from them, I have bought them from Nicky's Nursery.

MoreVeg.com is great for growing in containers as they send you small amounts of seeds only. They do some organic seed. They are very quick with delivery too.

The Organic Gardening Cataologue/Chase Organics is good for organic veg seed/flowers/herbs.

Otherwise Suttons and Thomson & Morgan are both reputable too.

Back