• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit relationships and attachments

prettylupin

Wise Old Thumper
Apologies if this has already been posted about on here, i'm not on everyday these days. However, I just wanted to comment on how much I enjoyed Dr Anne McBride's article in the recent issue of Rabbiting On on rabbit relationships and attachments. Fantastic :thumb:
Dr McBride is so insightful psychologically and totally on the money, for me personally, when it comes to rabbit behaviour. She really knows her stuff. She described beautifully in this article the relationship that I always knew that Poppy and Nino used to have, we always felt that they 'put up with each other' and were very close but not totally attached in the sense that some rabbits bond very closely. I enjoy reading about wild colonies and behaviour as it gives us so much more insight into our companion rabbits. :)

TBH I haven't found time to read the article yet, but having been fortunate to hear Anne lecture for an evening I also feel she is spot on with her understanding.
I believe that owners in general including myself, need to understand rabbit behaviour much more deeply, for our mutual benefit & happiness.

When we were working out how to live together harmoniously in my house; I didn't try to stop Thumper being a rabbit, but patiently showed him how to express his "rabbitness" in ways which were acceptable to me.
Although I approached it with a very rudimentary understanding, my life was amazingly enriched as a result. Strangely it was to give me much insight into human relationships too.

Back