• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Please help me find my missing rabbit :(

Hi there,

In May 2010 our house rabbit Buster went missing :cry: He had been loose outside in the garden with me for his usual binky session and somehow escaped.

My partner and I have renewed our search with determination to find him. We both loved him so much, he had a pampered life and was with me 24/7 (apart from when he frequently managed to escape the living room to go chew books under our bed:lol:)

He went missing from the Walsgrave area of Coventry. We have since moved to Ipswich but I'm hoping the internet can help us with a long-distance search!

He was two years old, wild coloured/agouti (his coat also changed from brown to grey overtones depending on the time of year) and very large - people often thought he was a giant breed, but he is just quite a big boy. He was also neutered - any rescue that went to have this done may remember a rabbit that a vet said was already neutered if they went in for the operation? He was also very people friendly and would happily nudge a stranger for a treat. He is very confident with other animals too, he chased a cat off once and used to adore my Mum's dog.

He was perfectly litter trained - no stray rabbit raisins at all. He also knew "come" commands, "no" and a few tricks - a rescue that may have had him might possibly have noticed a responsiveness to certain words. (I'm clutching at straws here but you never know)

If you think you might have any information, no matter how unlikely, please do post.

We desperately want to know that he is safe - we wouldn't want to take him away from a new family that he is happily rehomed with, but we would love to know that he is safe. I can't tell you how much of a relief just this knowledge would be for us - he was a big part of our lives.

Equally, if anyone has any ideas about how we could look for him that we might not of thought of, I would love to hear them. We'd do anything!

http://www.nationalpetregister.org/mp/32845.htm - my partner has also put his details on this website

http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddq99nrj_4hqsnzhdb
- This is the poster we circulated in the local area at the time

We also contacted the local RSPCA and RAGs Coventry.
Some photos:
30ijscy.jpg

2j29w0o.jpg

vziwxe.jpg

so2rtx.jpg

Thankyou for taking the time to read this - please circulate to anyone you think might be able to help as well.

xxx

Thats so sad :( The fact he was neutered might trigger someones memory, i hope he was found by someone caring. x

I'm sorry to hear that, is there anyway you can get someone in the area to put up some posters for you?

I am far away form Coventry so doubt I can do any good but I would just like to say how sorry I am, and I hope that you find Buster, if not, that he is being looked after with a new family.

I know Shelleypops on here is form Coventry, maybe she has another idea of where to look in the area?

I'm so sorry, I dread this happening to me and mine so I can only imagine how devastating this must be for you.

Have you tried to contact Fatfluffs in Solihull? I know they are a bit away from you but......worth a try? Maybe contact the vets in your old area if you didnt already do that at the time?

So sorry for you, but given the time he has been missing, I think if he was with new owners, they may find it difficult to give him up. So sorry. You never know though, someone might be able to help, especally if he ended up in a rescue. Good luck with your search.

Thankyou very much for all the kind words - you have all been amazingly supportive! I wish I'd posted on here sooner..

I'm afraid the pics don't capture Buster's beauty or personality very clearly, but shortly after he went missing my laptop died and backup stick failed - losing almost all our wonderful photos of him :( I have a those ones and a few prints.

Thankyou also for all the suggestions!

CharlotteMc - Yes, at the time we had contacted the local rescues (RSPCA and RAGs) who took his details down. In retrospect, I wish we had broadened our search to a wider area. But the search restarts and nothing is impossible!

DemiS - Unfortunately there isn't really anyone we know well enough to ask to put posters up for us. We only lived there for a year, and I never settled to make friends and my partner only had workmates who commuted. We plastered the area with posters at the time though. It might be worth sending some new ones in the post to some local shops with updates that we are still searching!

Pie - Thankyou I will keep my eyes peeled for Shelleypops!

Debster - Another user has very kindly offered to contact Fat Fluffs for us! They sound hopeful! We had contacted all the nearby vets at the time just to be sure. Really regretting that he wasn't microchipped in case there was one we missed.

Basirascal - Yes I fully agree - if he is with new owners who love him, it wouldn't be fair on them or him to ask them to give him up. But if he was still awaiting a home in a rescue somewhere with a nice new wifey-bun, or stuck in a hutch down a garden with a family who no longer have time for him then its more likely we could find a way to have him back!

I am in Coventry and not far from where you used to live. If I can help please PM me :wave:

I know my vets have posters of missing animals up, I am sure they would let me pop one up for you, the only thing is they are on the other side of the city but its worth a shot anyway and I could drop some in to the ones nearer here too :wave:

oh Im ever so sorry:cry: I do hope this re-newed search brings your bun back to you.....def. worth sending posters and even ringing the shops to ask them to expect them and to post them up. Also make sure that you put the date he went missing as some people may think he has recently been missing.:cry:

Perhaps even contact the local paper where you used to stay...ask them to do an interview with you and some pictures...with an appealing Newspaper Header..."Lost rabbit search renewed ...missing for a year...is he safe?!" It may just refresh peoples memories and get some leads?:? May be a story the local papers would be interested in...

Also - depending on the area...were you near another county border at all? Perhaps he is in the next county...so also worth doing some searching there...

Last edited:
So sorry your little boy is missing :(. We too would be heartbroken and desparate for news. I really hope you can get some good news from your search.

I'm really very sorry. That must be such a hard thing to go through. I really hope you find him.

Thankyou for all the messages of support, it is much appreciated. :wave: I've been reading the threads on here and reading sad stories, happy ones and just seeing flopped out buns and trying not to cry! :oops: Bunnies are incredible creatures.

I am in Coventry and not far from where you used to live. If I can help please PM me :wave:

I know my vets have posters of missing animals up, I am sure they would let me pop one up for you, the only thing is they are on the other side of the city but its worth a shot anyway and I could drop some in to the ones nearer here too :wave:

Helgalush that is SO very kind of you! I will ask OH to design a new poster, that would be amazing. I'd be happy to send you copies in the post to save printer ink or reimburse you, and for any fuel. I'll try calling vets first and seeing if they will agree to put posters up if I send them to them though - I don't want to put any kind of burden on the kindness of a stranger if it can be avoided!

What a kind offer!:wave::D

Chelle, I think contacting the old local paper is a great idea, they might just pick the story up if its a slow news week! I guess they don't usually get heartfelt missing rabbit stories, more dogs and cats! Its a shame I don't have any good and also high quality pictures to send them :( But excellent idea, I will definately draft something and follow up with a phone call (or beg my partner to because I'm awful on the phone).

RE counties, we are looking into Warwickshire as well! http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=305821 There are a few leads for me to follow up. I need to get on and do that really...its just so overwhelming and I'm trying not to get my hpes up too much:cry:

Thanks so much for the support everyone:love:

PS I know its a possibility that he is a bridge bunny...I don't want people to think I am dellusional and unrealistic, just hopeful!

Hiya, so sorry to read your story. This is an absolute long shot.... as I'm pretty sure this bun was neuterd in rescue and didnt come in until this year. But this is Dennis, my foster Bun, pretty sure he was a stray from Coventry area.

DSC_1970.jpg

He is a huge character! I've never seen a bunny binky so much, loves his fusses and is a bit potty tbh!

Its probably not him but just thought I would post in case x

ETA I've e-mailed Jane Dexter for you, I should be speaking with her later this week so will ask too x

Last edited:
Back