• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Options of what to do with the bunny we found

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
:shock: It's Tuesday already!! We know it has deffinately been a week since bunny was spotted wandering round my sisters drive. We have notices up in the town and villages next to, a notice at the vets and told the receptionist who put it on the computer but no one has asked there. I have looked on online sites, no bunnies matching his description anywhere in the UK. We don't think he had wandered far because he seemed to not go further then a couple of house down/across from my sisters and his claws don't look warn down by wandering far. No one has been seen looking for him and we have been spreading the word yet nothing. So I guess we best start looking for options on what to do with bunny future wise incase no owners are found. Here are the one's I can think of atm please feel free to add any: My sister would like him but says she doesn't have a lot of money for him which would make her getting acomadation that's good difficult and neutering etc.

1. She wants me to keep him and bond him with Beano and Gordon, I aren't going to do this I am fairly sure but thought I might as well include it anyway. Yes I'd love to see him happy in the shed with B&G but in reality that probably won't happen as I just can't risk B&G falling out, or one of them being left out so I'd rather leave them as they are as a happy pair.

2. I keep him and for now in my sisters room and buy a pen for him and he'll have a cage attached onto it and be let out at regular intervals for free range. He would be booked in for vaccs and a neuter. Then at some point in the future (when I get a job etc) I would like to get like to get him a wifey but this may not even be able to happen until I get my own house which may be a few years off!! And then get my room rearranged and bun proofed and he can live in my room, this will be if after his neuter he stops spraying and chewing carpets!! I think it would be awkward however me having to get changed between seeing buns to avoid referred agression with B&G and I don't want my money to be stretched with getting another pet.

3. He goes to live in a hutch at my sisters and family, they understand he needs space but I cannot garentee he will get a hutch and run quite the size it should be although he will be well looked after and loved. He will be vaccinated against myxi but not sure against VHD but again I cannot garentee they will neuter him, hopefully they will. And agian I don't know if they'll get him a wifey, I am going to get some leaflets and make my own bunny care guide for her explaining why he needs one, but it may not be for a while, one step at a time!

What do you think? Any other ideas? I have been working on building trust with him and he is now fine with my stroking him etc but a tad wary of new people and is a very happy little man, he does the most binky's I've ever seen from a bun!! :love: Sorry for the huge post :oops:

I'm all for trio's - cant you tell!! :lol: Bonding of mine commences Friday. Lilly came to us by accident too. But i owe it to her to try and get her with the others - failing that, i may have to be resigned to 2 pairs because she needs a friend.

Well done with him too. :love:

You are very sensible and I agree re. not bonding him with B&G. In any case, if you did you would need to add a run to the shed which they could access most of the time as the shed space would be pushing it for 3.

Can you get him neutered asap & vacc'd and in the meantime look out for a decent set up for your sister to have at hers? Set up a search up on ebay as sometimes good 2nd hand ones come up. I got my current foster accommodation off ebay for £40 (6ft x 2ft hutch over 6ft x 4ft run) and it's a really well made one (Rydale I think). I had to add some wood to the bottom of the run to give it more height but apart from that it was fine. We made a door in the front too so that we could add a metal pen giving more run space (for Bouncer) but this was our choice & not vital. Another option would be to get two 3ft hutches & join them together to make one large one? Wilko's water based garden paint is fab for covering up DIY improvements (bodges :lol: ) There's always a way... ;)

Last edited:
You are very sensible and I agree re. not bonding him with B&G. In any case, if you did you would need to add a run to the shed which they could access most of the time as the shed space would be pushing it for 3.

Can you get him neutered asap & vacc'd and in the meantime look out for a decent set up for your sister to have at hers? Set up a search up on ebay as sometimes good 2nd hand ones come up. I got my current foster accommodation off ebay for £40 (6ft x 2ft hutch over 6ft x 4ft run). I had to add some wood to the bottom of the run to give it more height but apart from that it was fine. We made a door in the front so that we could add a metal pen giving more run space (for Bouncer) but this was our choice & not vital. Another option would be to get two 3ft hutches & join them together to make one large one? There's always a way... ;)

Do you not agree with Trios? Just wondering your reason?

Do you not agree with Trios? Just wondering your reason?

No no, not at all. Trios are great, as are bigger groups :D:D

Just in Liz's situation I don't think it's the best solution (unless she can significantly enlarge the accommodation).

why not say to your sister she can have him but she needs to pay for his neuter and mxyi vacs first, then you get him done before she has him?
you can then do as Jen says and keep a look out for larger accommodation but at least you know he is safe and you'll be able to keep an eye on him ..and maybe in future advise her to get him a wife:D

why not say to your sister she can have him but she needs to pay for his neuter and mxyi vacs first, then you get him done before she has him?
you can then do as Jen says and keep a look out for larger accommodation but at least you know he is safe and you'll be able to keep an eye on him ..and maybe in future advise her to get him a wife:D

That's kinda what I meant but didn't explain it very well :oops: :lol:

Thankyou everyone :) Just to add my shed is 8ft X 6ft but I did think space might be an issue as they have a 7ft X 4ft run but due to the sheds position it can't be attached. I'm going to give my sister a ring and get him booked in for a myxi vacc and health check. I've been looking on eBay etc and have a couple of wanted adds up but haven't seen any that aren't too far away and not local pick up but will keep looking. I'll ask my sister what price she's willing to pay for accommodation and discuss neutering :)

^^ agree. Its all very well wanting you to keep this bun or for your sister to keep it but the costs and accomadation and time involved is so what you are aware of but is your sister?
I do think he needs to be neutered and vacs before he goes anywhere...and also your sister would need to get him a friend too perhaps.
I dont think a trio should be tried - if you feel that B&G are haqppy as they are...you know your buns. He sounds lovely bless him....
Suitable accomadation needs to be set up at your sisters before he goes to live there...else it may never happen and everyone will think...oh hes fine...etc.

well done for trying to do the best for this little man.
:D

Back