• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Diet/hayeating concerns to prevent dental problems

yaretzi

Wise Old Thumper
My buns were originally P@H buns (I got them from the rescue bit there, as they were 'too old' and there were like 5 of them shoved in that tiny little space...anyway...!) so I'm concerned about dental problems appearing at some point.

My buns weren't good hay eaters when they lived inside with me. Since moving them outside I've found it easier to resist their little faces and now have them on a diet of:

*unlimited, fresh lovely hay which I've figured out how they prefer it fed (in baskets in their litter trays, and they love their box of it outside) I put a new handful in about 3-4 times a day so it's always nice and fresh

*around an eggcupful of SS pellets each mixed with P@H (got loads of both and trying to wean over to SS so I give them a mixed handful to use em up). I give them this in about 2/3 'doses' throughout the day

*about 1 handful each of veg in the morning and 1 at night. I'm careful to vary the veg as much as possible - giving almost exclusively green leafy veg and herbs but with the odd bit of parsnip of carrot! I try to vary between cabbage (they've never had gas from it but I don't give a lot anymore just to be careful), spring greens, spinach, curly cale, parsley, coriander

*they also have their run on the grass and have access to it between 9am and 9pm ish. the grass isn't in great condition at the moment though!

*they also get either 2 or 3 fenugreek crunchies each per day :oops: try to limit it to 2 though which I feel is okay, 3 is a little much I feel

As I said I've noticed their hay intake increase and they do spend a good amount of time plopped in their hay box eating. I do notice a good amount gone the next morning.

I feel I'm doing all that I can to ensure they're wearing both sets of teeth down, just wondering if there's anything else anyone can suggest?

They pretty much ignore chewwy/willow/wooden toys (unless I roll it in pellets first so it smells like them, then they devour it :roll:). They always have a cardboard box or two and a cardboard tube which they tend to destroy so they have the extra wear from that too.

I'll get some pics later or tomorrow of what they'd eat in an average day pellet and veg-wise, and show you approx how much hay they eat too (although since they dig it all out and flatten it it's hard to get an estimate!)

It's also difficult to know who's eaten the hay and who hasn't, since I can only see their hay eating during the day in the run (where they have their big box). I know they do eat it at night when locked in the shed but since I can't see in it's difficult knowing if one is eating it all and the other isn't. I do have 2 distinct poops in their trays, one is big n plump n light brown from hay - the other is smaller, harder and not as hay-filled. I suspect Nena is the one with the healthier poops since she tends to dive headfirst into the hay basket :roll: but I'm not sure.

Anyway sorry for the essay, suggestions would be great :)

I think you are doing things pretty much right personally, in terms of dental wear, but there are maybe a couple of things I would suggest.

The first is that I would probably cut down a bit more on the fenugreek crunchies, do you think you could go down to one a day? You could replace those with healthy treats like herbs, rabbit safe flowers, or weeds. A range of bunny-safe fresh and dried grasses, branches and weeds might help, but depends on what you have growing in your garden and how confident you are at identifying it.

The other thing I would say is to offer the best quality hay you can reasonably afford. Hay varies so much in quality. I use Timothy hay from Willow Warren, it is excellent quality, always fresh and stalky but it is quite expensive. When I compared it to the Timothy hay I used to buy in P@H the difference in quality was quite pronounced. I know others rate farm baled hay, INGs, and Hay for Pets so maybe you could send for some sample packs to see for yourself. Mine also like Burns green oat hay as well.

The meadow hay from hay for pets is lovely. I also have the ings which is more stalky.

Our local pet shops were £3 for a small bag which was not as good but £16 for the largest including delivery from hay for pets seems much better value.

I think you are doing things pretty much right personally, in terms of dental wear, but there are maybe a couple of things I would suggest.

The first is that I would probably cut down a bit more on the fenugreek crunchies, do you think you could go down to one a day? You could replace those with healthy treats like herbs, rabbit safe flowers, or weeds. A range of bunny-safe fresh and dried grasses, branches and weeds might help, but depends on what you have growing in your garden and how confident you are at identifying it.

The other thing I would say is to offer the best quality hay you can reasonably afford. Hay varies so much in quality. I use Timothy hay from Willow Warren, it is excellent quality, always fresh and stalky but it is quite expensive. When I compared it to the Timothy hay I used to buy in P@H the difference in quality was quite pronounced. I know others rate farm baled hay, INGs, and Hay for Pets so maybe you could send for some sample packs to see for yourself. Mine also like Burns green oat hay as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if the dried herbs and plants such as https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Natural+Treats+%2526+Herbs.7/Dandelion.260.html would be a good alternative to fenugreeks rather than the fresh stuff?

Thanks for the suggestion about hay - I used to have such problems! I've eventually settled on a fab product though which is a locally sourced Worcestershire meadow hay which is beautiful and green with bits of little flowers in, it's fab! I kinda want to eat some!

I have tried experimenting with loads (bales, ING's hay, different 'expensive' ones and they seem to prefer this)

The meadow hay from hay for pets is lovely. I also have the ings which is more stalky.

Our local pet shops were £3 for a small bag which was not as good but £16 for the largest including delivery from hay for pets seems much better value.

Thanks for the suggestion from hay for pets, I might have a try of that. I've had the ING's and they hated it - it was much stalkier than they're used to. Is the meadow hay nice and soft? x

Thanks for the suggestions. I wonder if the dried herbs and plants such as https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Natural+Treats+%2526+Herbs.7/Dandelion.260.html would be a good alternative to fenugreeks rather than the fresh stuff?

Thanks for the suggestion about hay - I used to have such problems! I've eventually settled on a fab product though which is a locally sourced Worcestershire meadow hay which is beautiful and green with bits of little flowers in, it's fab! I kinda want to eat some!

I have tried experimenting with loads (bales, ING's hay, different 'expensive' ones and they seem to prefer this)

Thanks for the suggestion from hay for pets, I might have a try of that. I've had the ING's and they hated it - it was much stalkier than they're used to. Is the meadow hay nice and soft? x

Your local hay sounds great!! :D

Yes I think that the dried herbs/weeds that Hay Experts do are great, my lot love the dried parsley.

Blackberry on here is also selling some dried wild stuff, like hawthorn and apple leaves etc, if that would be of any interest to you. :D

Back