• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Short Term Foster (may be) Urgently Required - Herts

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Hi, I know i've not really been on the forum much recently, but I am hoping someone on here can help.

I have been desperately searching for a new house for the next academic year but so far everything I have applied for has fallen through at the last minute. I now have only 2 weeks left of my current tenancy and still nowhere to live. I have a few friends I can stay with temporarily, but nowhere for the rabbits.

I am hoping to find somewhere permanent in the next few weeks, so I am potentially looking for someone to temporarily foster the rabbits until then, from around 1st September if I don't find a new house before then.

I live in Hertfordshire so reasonably local would be great, but I am willing to travel to ensure that they are properly cared for. I can't offer much in the way of payment, being a final year vet student, but I can provide all their food, hay etc so shouldn't cost anything to take care of them.

If anyone can offer them a place to stay please get in touch. They live outdoors at the moment but are equally happy being house buns. They have no medical conditions and are very friendly, easy to handle and care for and do not suffer from referred aggression around other rabbits.

Are they all vaccinated (up to date) and neutered/spayed etc?

Just that as a fosterer, i would want to know that :)

Do you have accommodation to bring with them, vikki? If you do, I could probably help if you need :)

Hi, yeah they are all neutered and vaccinated. Can be panacured as well if required.

Alison they do have a wendyhouse but its fairly epic to move it. I do have a dog crate they could have if you have space inside?

Shame you werent nearer I have space in hopper holidays and could have kept them till you were ready. Hope you get sorted soon x

Can't do inside I'm afraid, cats would go banzai. If you get stuck I could either set dog crate up in shed (less than ideal I guess) or, if I get my finger out and get d&m's new aviary up, they could go into their old accomm. Or, if lou's violet does bond and go off to her new home, could use the 5ft double that's been at lou's parents at the mo. Im sure we could find something do-able if you don't get a better offer and do end up needing somewhere.

I could probably help you out if you needed it. Still got an empty shed and run here so let me know if I can help :)

Hi:wave::wave::wave:

Can I just recommend (from my own experience) that whoever helps out with this gets in writing the following:

How much they will be paid for fostering (and when and how)

Exactly how long the foster is for

Who is responsible for making the decision as to when the rabbit needs a vet (and how the payment is to be made for this) - especially what will happen in an emergency . . .

What happens if there is a fight/the buns break up

What happens if the fosterers circumstances change

I recommend the buns are insured before the foster

I know Vikkivet is a great person and very trustworthy - but we took in two rabbits from someone else (no longer on the forum) in exactly the same circumstances about 6 months ago -

it was a total disaster with no money being paid after the first month (ok it was only £2 a week per bun) ,
a whole week passing before getting a reply when I asked for permission to take to vet for urgent illness (and then owner asked for second opinion:roll:), no money paid for vets bills,
and no help when buns fell out and we had to get another hutch (they actually arrived fighting . . . )

Owner never heard of again - we now have buns permanently and have paid about £500 in all for their costs.

Also - if the owner ever does turn up again I have no idea where we go from here . . . . especially as buns now separate .

So just get it all in writing so everyone knows where they stand:):):) we didnt and we got stuffed! Owner said verbally she would pay anything at any tie for vets etc etc and then refused.

Last edited:
I can have a chat with OH to see if I can help. Accomadation would be a problem and they would have to be outdoors....only thing Im concerned about at the moment is Im trying to re-bond mine so dont want any referred aggression....:?

Parsnip has a good point...its best to have everything discussed and written down and signed for everyones peace of mind.;)

Let me know if youve no options and I will try sort something out.....
Perhaps we can try get some sort of accomdation together if it helps Santa? or Fran perhaps?
shame Hopper Holidays would be all sorted then.:?

Fantastic advice on the written out agreement - I think it would be a really good to have that as a permanent sticky note in rabbits in need section or something similar as fostering is something I'd like to do at some point but you really do need to have a written agreement so that everyone knows where they stand in terms of the rabbits best interests etc.

Hi, I totally agree re a written agreement, it just makes things clear and simple for both parties.

However, I THINK I might have found somewhere to live! Its with a vet nurse who loves bunnies :D :D and there is a lovely garden for them. It sounds really perfect and I have seen the house and its great, but after having so many fall through I am trying not to get my hopes up too high. I have contacted the letting agent so once everything is signed and sorted I'll be happy.

Best thing is she is happy to care for the buns when I go away on placement etc, which is awesome! She has 2 cats who are really sweet and have lived with bunnies before. There are foxes in the field at the end of the garden, so we're going to build a predator-proof run or aviary for the buns to keep them safe.

Thanks for all the offers, you are all amazing. I'm hoping it won't be necessary now but will keep you posted xx

Back