• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poll - snuffles in rabbits

bensonlola

Warren Veteran
Indoor vs outdoor for snuffley rabbits - just thinking about something I read, where it said that indoor rabbits can get snuffles more easilly.... don't know if there is any truth in it....:?

Last edited:
I don't think you can do polls at the moment as they have been disabled for a little bit.

My bun has snuffles and is an indoor bunny.

Sorry you two - maybe I should not post this, if its too painful for you... would you like me to take it off? :wave:

I don't think you can do polls at the moment as they have been disabled for a little bit.

My bun has snuffles and is an indoor bunny

That's already 2 of us then.....which is rather worrying:(

Updated: To say 3 now:( (including Graham) I am really surprised:(

I don't mind at all. It is surpising and a bit worrying, however it's an interesting poll and it will be good to see the end results.:)

I'll leave it on then. The reason I'm thinking about it is that my two live outside and I was thinking of bringing them in for winter, but I'm wondering if I should leave well enough alone. :?

Ginger possibly got hers from when she was living outside with surrogate parent + babies as a baby though, as she's already genetically compromised, so maybe i shouldn't be voting!

There you go then......

What causes it? Do you know?

Most rabbits actually carry 'pasteurella' or a form of it, but their immune systems are normally good enough to keep it at bay. However, if a bun ever has 'down time' such as being ill from something else, the immune system fails to keep it at bay and it then comes to the forefront, with symptoms showing. At which point, its apparently very difficult, if not impossible to get rid of 100% and even if you do get it under control, it can come back at any point.

Most rabbits actually carry 'pasteurella' or a form of it, but their immune systems are normally good enough to keep it at bay. However, if a bun ever has 'down time' such as being ill from something else, the immune system fails to keep it at bay and it then comes to the forefront, with symptoms showing. At which point, its apparently very difficult, if not impossible to get rid of 100% and even if you do get it under control, it can come back at any point.

Thanks Graham. :wave:

^^^^ I agree with this. From personal experience, Basil was an EC bunny, who had also previously had kidney failure. The 'snuffles' appeared for the first time 2 weeks before he died. It was relatively mild and he was on meds for it. I believe now this was the point where Basil system began to fail. I think this may have still happened if he had been an outside bunny.

Last edited:
Graham answered that for me :) My vet says I just need to keep a close eye on Teddy, he hasnt had a flare up for a while but it is a worry. He's had two lots of antibiotics in the past.

:thumb:

'Snuffles' doesn't actually mean much because it is a generic term to describe 'Upper Respiratory Tract Infections', which can be caused by Pastuerella, but also other bacterias too.

I have Autumn who arrived with a wet nose. He was left in a card board box with a dead litter mate at roughly 3-4 weeks old. He was taken to the RSPCA and they didn't know how to feed him because he was so little and he starved for a couple of days until he got to me. Essentially, he didn't have enough energy to keep his temp up and got it that way.

He seems to have a 'relapse' at this time of year. He did it last year and he seems to be brewing one this year. Last year he was outside, this year he is inside.

Bunny was from Pets at Home, so was housed on sawdust in the shop - could have contributed. However, it could also be that he had a stressed time or had another illness and during the time when his immune system was low, the bacteria got a hold. He is generally a bit of a stress-bun.

So maybe it's more about the general health of the rabbit rather than whether the bunny is kept inside or out?:)

Yes, very much so.

However, if Ginger, as an example was housed outside, I expect she'd probably either be dead, or very seriously ill right now, more so than she currently is indoors, in my opinion.

Living outside is fine for some rabbits, but for others, it's a real hard ship. Not all rabbits are as suited to outdoor living, as it requires extra energy to keep warm etc.

Back