• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Harness's?

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
is their a safe rabbit harness?
what ones do the rabbit jumper's use surely theyre safe?
how long does the lead need to be.
or are they completely dangerous?
i have seen a few buns here on leads and got me wondering about an alternative so ploppet can go in the garden?

I personally don't like them, I think they are dangerous, bunnies are prey flight animals and if something spooked them they could hurt themselves. I don't think they are the right kind of animal to put on any type of lead. But thats just my opinion. :wave:

I personally don't like them, I think they are dangerous, bunnies are prey flight animals and if something spooked them they could hurt themselves. I don't think they are the right kind of animal to put on any type of lead. But thats just my opinion. :wave:

:love: :thumb:

Lara has basically just written my post for me :)

Hi my past rabbit, jasper, loved his harness and binkied in it, he did rabbit jumping. It wa a shoulder harness, so it doesn't go round the bunnies neck so is safer. It was a nice soft material too so it wouldn't rub on him. It was ordererd from sweden though. ;) I also uses a very long lead, can't remember the exact length but i would only ever use long leads now as shprt leads can make rabbits feel restricted to where they want to go. I would never put a rabbit in a harness if they weren't comfortable in it because that's not fair. I didn't have to worry about jasper, his binkies told me he approved. :)

I wouldn't put a harness on most rabbits.

I wouldn't consider trying with bubbles because she would freak out, she wouldn't like it.

I used to use one for snowball to give him grass time and he loved it, but I wouldn't take the risk again to be honest. Too easy for them to wriggle out and escape

Years ago I tried a rabbit on a harness. She was soon followed by a couple of cats... got spooked and screamed. I took her back home and dumped the harness. never again!

see me being cursed with seeing 2 sides of any arguement is causing me some issues...

poppet would be ok with it but if she was to spook id never forgive myself, but then again she cant go in the garden without one as she is intent on getting down to the trio who go mad if they see her:roll:
because i have extended the run for the trio to 9.5ft x 5 ft we no longer have the space for ploppet to have her pen outside (shes not alowed the top lawn for her run as thats OH's mums part of the garden) and it isnt fair me taking over anymore of the OH's mums garden i already have 50% of it:lol:

my only other option is a lead or no grass.

and i dont deem it fair her not having outdoor time and shes too young for her spay so cant be bonded with Pix and zuma yet to have the shed..:/

as you can see i have a major dillema.

i have seen these, and could buy a longer lead?
these look by far the safest?
harness on ebay

any help with this dilemma would be the greatest help and thankyou all for not shredding me on this topic:wave::D

I tried one with Pie. I have enevr seena bunny freak out so much, she screamed and it was horrible! :cry:
But I think Oberon would not mind at all. Just please don't get the 'strappy' one that goes around their necks, just the shoulder/back harness.

I don't own one and have no need or intention to use one again. But if you really want one I suggest getting one with no neck strap.

Years ago I tried a rabbit on a harness. She was soon followed by a couple of cats... got spooked and screamed. I took her back home and dumped the harness. never again!

we dont get cats in our garden ruby attacks anything that goes near her run that isnt a bun or human.:roll:

but that would be a concern also :)

see me being cursed with seeing 2 sides of any arguement is causing me some issues...

poppet would be ok with it but if she was to spook id never forgive myself, but then again she cant go in the garden without one as she is intent on getting down to the trio who go mad if they see her:roll:
because i have extended the run for the trio to 9.5ft x 5 ft we no longer have the space for ploppet to have her pen outside (shes not alowed the top lawn for her run as thats OH's mums part of the garden) and it isnt fair me taking over anymore of the OH's mums garden i already have 50% of it:lol:

and i dont deem it fair her not having outdoor time and shes too young for her spay so cant be bonded with Pix and zuma yet to have the shed..:/

harness on ebay

any help with this dilemma would be the greatest help and thankyou all for not shredding me on this topic:wave::D

What about a puupypen that you can temp put up and take down and supervise her having some time on the grass?

http://www.zooplus.com/shop/rodents/cages/pens_fencing/pens_with_racks/126792

harness on ebay

If you want her to have grass time then it's probably all you can do but obviously only if she likes it. :) I don't like the harness in the photo as it covers the rabbits whole back and tbh i don't think most rabbits will like that as they wont be able to move around normally. If you get a harness, try it on poppet inside, in a secure area.

i know after looking at these harness's they have a neck strap which i wouldnt be comfortable with:oops:

ill keep looking. a put me up pen wouldnt be an option as OH's mum is fond of her garden and plop would dig her garden up.
:?

:( i really am stuck on dilemma's here

it's not the end of the world for her not to have grass time for a while.

snowball hasn't seen grass since i brought bubbles home

i know after looking at these harness's they have a neck strap which i wouldnt be comfortable with:oops:

ill keep looking. a put me up pen wouldnt be an option as OH's mum is fond of her garden and plop would dig her garden up.
:?

:( i really am stuck on dilemma's here

But if you supervise her its no different than putting her on the grass in a harness?

But if you supervise her its no different than putting her on the grass in a harness?

i suppose, its just space in the garden too :/

maybe ill just keep her in, she has free range of the bedroom during day time which is better than most indoor bunnies..
i just want the best for her:oops::oops:

My bunsk didnt have grass time for about 6 months or more. I dont see the problem with them not if their diet is ok and they have run space

I've tried harnesses twice several years ago. Once with Mischa, after five minutes he wriggled out, I couldn't put it on any tighter so that was that. And once I tried with Mini, after five minutes SHE wriggled out too.

I threw it away.

what is it you think she needs? outdoor time or the feeling of grass on her feet and to munch?

If it's the latter, you could go and buy a bit of turf and put it in a box for her to play in maybe? maybe put it on plastic sheeting so she can fuss and not ruin your carpet?

x

My opinion too. Many years ago, when I was very new to bunnies, I tried a harness on one: absolute disaster.

I used to put Daisy on a harness and lead, was fine for months until one day she spooked and the lead somehow wrapped around her leg. The more she struggled the tighter the lead became. That was the only time I ever heard a rabbit scream :(

Longer the lead, greater the risk of a similar thing happening.

Back