• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving my rabbit with the rents' whilst on holiday

lilgems91

Mama Doe
Me and the OH have had our holiday booked for over a year now, its his first time aborad!! And were SO looking forward to it!

We go in 3 weeks and I am getting worried about leaving my bun Benji with the rents. I know they will take good care of him, but they are not rabbit savvy AT ALL..and I just have an awful feeling something will go wrong :(

Lately his snuffles has got worse aswell, so he has been having medication orally twice a day and bisolvon on his food, and Im going to have to speak to my vet about possibly stopping the meds whilst I am away, as Ben will not let them give him anything orally, only me. They have tried plenty of times before and he has got stressed, wouldnt let them do it and eventually bit and scratched them :(

Im worried to leave him for 2 weeks....Does this sound too paranoid to you guys?

:(

No advice re snuffles, but maybe give your parents your login details here so they can get in touch if they have any concerns?

I totally sympathise, we will be leaving our buns for the first time next month, we are going abroad for 10 days. My parents are staying at our house for the first week to look after them, and a friend from work is doing the last 3 days. I'm really looking forward to the hol but so worried in case one of them is ill while we're away. :( also Olly is partially deaf and only has sight in one eye, so he gets spooked really easily :( it's horrible leaving them isn't it?! :?

Can you get him accustomed to taking the medication is some sort of food? I put Grim's baytril in bread because he gets so stressed being syringed it it makes him worse. :(

I don't think you're being paranoid. I'm sure there must be some things you can do to ease the stress. :)

That is a good idea about the login details for here, only trouble is they are not very computer lit, but they have got the emergency vets number, and I am already writing them a list of what to look out for an check him for whilst we are away.

I did try to put baytril on his pellets, but he wasnt having any of it! Bread however...I think he would love! Any particular bread? And can it be used every day?

He is actually having septrin at the moment until next thursday but it really isnt up to much, so he will probs be back on baytril whilst I am away.

Its really stressing me out- I know he will be looked after well and always have fresh hay and be cleaned out regularly, but they probs wouldnt notice if he wasnt eating, or had diarrohea or wasnt his normal self, which is obvs something that has to be constantly monitored :(

I just wouldnt be able to forgive myself if anything happened to him whilst I was away :(

But thank you everyone, Im glad its not just me being paranoid!!

:)

Can I ask, what are the RENTS?

Parents. :)

Grim has bread every day. And pretty much any sort of bread, whatever we have in. In general bread isn't good for bunnies and my understanding is because it can absorb the acid in the stomach and stop them digesting as well. But Grim has a tiny square, just enough for 0.63ml of baytril twice a day. Obviously just because Grim is fine doesn't mean every rabbit will be, but if you try him before you go it might work. And you can always stop the bread when you get back. :)

My bunnies have bread every day too and are fine - I do give them wholemeal tho, just because I *think* its better??

That is not a bad idea at all. I will definately try that :)

Then my mum and dad dont have to stress out about trying to syringe him twice a day :lol:

When mine had meds, I put a little hole in a piece of apple and let the meds soak in. They really enjoyed that!

Any possibility you could board your bunny with your vets?

My vets have in the past.

^^ this may be a better option of your parents wont check his bum etc etc or if he is not eating....thats kind of essential. I'd not give my bunnies bread...I really dont think its good for them at all...just not normal food ...I do know that some folks give toast...now is this better for them than just bread if you have to give it to them?

Id prob hide the meds in apple as suggested or banana...mine gobble up any meds mashed into a small piece of banana...not too much though.;)

My parents have become regular sitters for maple now and it was my mum not me who managed to persuade her to take baytril in a small amount of mashed banana. It would be gone before you could blink!!

I would put him into boarding but he doesnt seem to like having his routine changed, I live with my mum and dad so he wouldnt have to move hutches, as when he gets stressed the snuffles gets very bad!

He likes my mum and dad, just only lets me give him his meds. He doesnt really like anyone else, and even hides away from my OH when he goes to give him a fuss :(

And he HATES the vets, he always bites them! I think he can sense that they dont really think much of rabbits :(

But dont get me wrong he is lovely :lol:

My buns get a small piece of bread each day - Hovis Seed Sensations, with granary and loads of seeds in it - they all love it!

i have used a small piece of wholemeal bread to give baytril before, just let it dry into the bread and he will be non the wiser ;)

i left my pair with my mom once for a week and i was really pooping myself but she followed my care list exactly and there were no problems at all.

hope you have a great holiday :D

Im going to leave lists and instructions so hopefully she will take it seriously and take the time to read them and do the checks I have written down.

Thanks, I cant wait to go..I will just be missing my little boy very much :(

Back