• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump after spay

molly35

Mama Doe
Midnight was spayed 2 weeks ago, the fosterer noticed quite a large lump on the cut line which the vet said at her check up that it should go away itself but would take at the least 2 weeks. Has anyone else experienced this with a spay. It is quite a firm lump but it is not causing her any pain at all and she is not bothered when you touch/press it.

Summer had this and it was a reaction to the internal sutures and did go away but we kept her on Metacam for the whole duration, until it did (which was roughly 6 weeks after the spay) and she was also on Septrin too. She was very poorly after her spay, but by the two week mark she had started to perk up, if that helps.

Summer had this and it was a reaction to the internal sutures and did go away but we kept her on Metacam for the whole duration, until it did (which was roughly 6 weeks after the spay) and she was also on Septrin too. She was very poorly after her spay, but by the two week mark she had started to perk up, if that helps.

Apparently she was very perky after the spay and was up and moving around and eating straight away. She seems to be absolutely fine in herself and vet says to take her back if it doesnt go away but to give it a few weeks. I will be taking her for her vaccs to my vet so I'll get her to take a look while I'm there just for peace of mind.

Hi molly35, l have never experienced it with a spay , but several lads of mine after being neutered , have developed lumps , more time than not it has been scar tissue ,

but there have been several occasions, when the lump turned out to be an abscess ,

these need to be lanced when ripe, and and flushing several times a day. Your vet will probably prescribe Baytril (most vets do), but you may find this infective ,

if Midnight's lump did turn out to be an Abscess , (l hope not ) then perhaps it might be worth mentioning Azithromycin (Zithromax), it is possibly the best anti biotic for abscesses , as Batril and other popular vet anti b's do not seam to very good at breaking through the Abscesses inner wall

This med is recommended, and used by Simon Maddox one of the best rabbit vets in the UK

best wishes with Midnight's lump :D

Back