• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oral Baytril - how often?

How often do you give baytril

• One dose a day

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Twice a day

Votes: 14 66.7%

• Total voters
On the very rare occassions we have it, it's once a day since he was told that's more effective that way.

Depends on what it is being used to treat and whether it is given orally or by injection.

Orally usually every 12 hours, injection either every 12hrs or every 24hrs depending on dose and condition being treated.

My vet prescribes it once a day now, based on something that Sharon Redrobe presented on the effectiveness of baytril being on peak concentration...and also at much higher doses than the 5mg/kg twice a day that it says on the datasheet!

Buckley gets 1.05ml once a day. I don't know the ins and outs of why but I trust Jason knows what he's doing :lol:

I also think it's generally easier if owners only have to administer abx as foul as Baytril once a day.
It's not like with my cat, who gets antibiotics tablets which have a chickeny flavour that he loves so much he will mug you for the packet :roll: (he gets himself into fights he can't win sometimes, gets bitten before we can break it up, gets tasty pills; I'm beginning to think he does it on purpose). We just put the pill in his bowl with his dinner and he eats the pill first!
With baytril it'd be a lot more stressful especially with a bunny that hates being held, and then he'd probably just get more unwell due to the "stress episode" as Jason calls it.

My vet prescribes it once a day now, based on something that Sharon Redrobe presented on the effectiveness of baytril being on peak concentration...and also at much higher doses than the 5mg/kg twice a day that it says on the datasheet!

Our vets used to be half and half, so it just depended on who we saw. But now all of them prescribe once a day and the doses are a lot higher too. I am rubbish at working out mg to ml :oops: Dexter is around 3kg and is on 2.25ml once daily. Thats the highest dose I think I have ever given :? TBH We have been getting much better results with baytril once a day on the higher doses :)

And like Pebbles says trying to get something so disgusting down a bunny is much easier for bunny and owner if its just the once :)

This is really interesting. I'm going to ring my vet tomorrow and ask about it. Grim has 0.63ml twice a day and at the moment is also having depocillin injections every three days. Perhaps having the baytril all in one go would benefit him. Does anyone have a link to the info about it being better in one dose? :wave:

This is really interesting. I'm going to ring my vet tomorrow and ask about it. Grim has 0.63ml twice a day and at the moment is also having depocillin injections every three days. Perhaps having the baytril all in one go would benefit him. Does anyone have a link to the info about it being better in one dose? :wave:

I have some information saved on this but can't put my hands on it at the moment as I'm on a different computer.

However (from memory) it relates to the higher levels of active ingredient circulating in the bloodstream and for how long the higher levels are maintained. It is displayed as a bell curve graph with the x-axis being time and the y-axis blood levels. It can be shown that a higher single dose maintains peak level for a comparatively longer period of time than split lower doses which don't always reach peak level before dissipating to only maintenance level in the bloodstream. Antibiotics are a class of drugs with better efficacy if peak level can be reached and maintained for a reasonable amount of time.

In Grim's case because it is ongoing it might well be the vet is only seeking to maintain maintenance level rather than a more aggressive approach.

This method is also being adopted by reptile vets because of the very slow metabolism of most reptiles.

I think it has depended on what the issue is and which vet we have seen. I think usually its been once a day for our bunnies but the last time we had it prescribed it was twice a day.

Back