• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly has little socks on!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
:love: She's got little dressings on her hocks. The vet prescribed some Furiderm gel and some Metacam for pain relief and put a dressing on her hock to see if that helps. Molly hasn't torn it off yet, but we'll see in the morning whether she decides to keep it on or not. :roll:

(she hasn't got any infection in her hock that we can see at present).

I'm trying not to get too excited, but looked underneath her dressings today (as it had slipped slightly) and her skin looks a gorgeous, healthy pink colour. :D:D I'm trying not to tempt fate or get too excited about it, but if this works, we'll keep at it. Going to the vet tomorrow to get it taken off and see what progress we've made and hopefully if it has worked well, get it re-dressed again. :) :D

That's good news. I'd also be interested in pics of the dressings :) Is it Fucidern that the vet gave? I've had that before in a cream form. Although Pickle's hocks did improve, I don't think it did any better than using Savlon Active Gel so I will probably revert back to using that in future. I know the vet said to only use it for 5 days at a time as the bun can become immune to it, also its a steroid so using the SAG would avoid those side effects. Hmm, sorry for the ramble! I think it really depends on the bun as to the treatment, different things seem to work better on different buns. Its interesting to hear how the dressings have helped though, we've not tried them, hope the outcome is good for Molly tomorrow!:wave:

That's good news. I'd also be interested in pics of the dressings :) Is it Fucidern that the vet gave? I've had that before in a cream form. Although Pickle's hocks did improve, I don't think it did any better than using Savlon Active Gel so I will probably revert back to using that in future. I know the vet said to only use it for 5 days at a time as the bun can become immune to it, also its a steroid so using the SAG would avoid those side effects. Hmm, sorry for the ramble! I think it really depends on the bun as to the treatment, different things seem to work better on different buns. Its interesting to hear how the dressings have helped though, we've not tried them, hope the outcome is good for Molly tomorrow!:wave:

This is what I do :)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=282536&highlight=sore+hock+dressing

thank you. It is Fuciderm gel. It is steriod so if we plan to use dressings and some sort of topical treatment long term, I'll ask about the steriod side effects. Its good to know that Savlon Active Gel worked for you, I may try that, thanks. :)

Here are some pictures this morning of her with her socks:

Sleepy girl
DSCF13811.jpg

One of her socks (it slipped slightly, it was a few days wear so looks a bit tatty)
DSCF13841.jpg

Happy girl
DSCF13871.jpg

Went to the vet tonight and took the dressings off. They weren't as healthy-pinky looking as I first thought, however they weren't terrible either. It also appears as if some fur is growing back, which is fantastic. Her feet are certainly no worse for being dressed, so we have tried bandaging.

The vet cut a hole in a 3mm padded strip for her sore area to "breathe", and then bandaged her foot with cohesive bandage. She ran out of the pink bandage so had to use blue for the other foot, so Molly has one pink foot and one blue foot. :love: :lol: Molly was an angel throughout, took about 10 minutes to bandage both feet and she had to be held upright, and at one point, she fell asleep. Shows how relaxed this bunny really is.

Got her home, and she's still learning to walk on her "new feet". She has had a little nip at the bandaging but most of the time, she's washing them. It was funny seeing her try to scratch her head with the bandage. :oops: :lol: But she doesn't seem too bothered by it, she's still hopping around (in a funny sort of hopping way, the only hopping you can do with a large bandage and padding on your foot ;) ). And she's eating and drinking. But we'll see tomorrow if she keeps it on overnight, and how she copes with running around her run. Anyway, here are some piccies of her new feet:

DSCF13991.jpg

DSCF14001.jpg

Bad news. Had to take the blue bandage off because it was really bothering her. She kept nibbling and biting it as if she was uncomfortable with it. So took it off and it looks like her toes were scrunched up in there, so no wonder she wanted to get it off. The pink bandage is still on and she isn't bothering with it yet, so will see how it goes.

Phoned the vet and she said to put on Fuciderm gel for the time being and then we'll try another type of dressing next time I go (which will be Thursday). I think she wants to try the same padding but with a different plaster/bandage. I'll ask her to leave her toes out because I think that was what was stressing Molly out as she uses her toes so much to move around, I think she felt a bit restricted in her movement, and for a prey animal, that isn't good. So we are looking for shorter length of padding with a new bandage or plaster. The vet said that the thin dressing she had on before wasn't padded enough to do anything worthwhile for her, so thats why she thinks this padding now is good. Just need to free her toes a bit more IMO.

Going to take the pink bandage off now because she was chewing that this morning. She's still on thick hay so she shouldn't suffer over the next few days and she's on metacam still so she's fine. :)

We have decided to not do vet visits at the moment. We think Molly is at a comfortable position right now, and doesn't have any obvious infection. The fuciderm gel works well, after it goes on, the skin goes really lovely and pink. We may need to get a different gel without steriods in, so will try Savlon Active Gel. And we are starting to wean her off Metacam so on sunday she should be off it completely. I hope (and I think) we are doing the right thing here. Sometimes I think there are times when you need to step back and let the animal's immune system work it all out.

And apparently, looking back at old photos, Molly has had sore hocks since she was 6 months old. :cry::cry:Poor baby has had them her whole life, 3 and half years to date. :cry:She is such an amazing bunny.

Back