• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Blimmin' rabbit costs me a fortune :(

Lib_n_bunny

Wise Old Thumper
He's chewed the carpet in our rented house, they were brand new carpets, we've only been here 6 months, gonna cost £190 to replace. Money we don't have. If he gets poorly now, we're screwed, cos that's our emergency pot gone :(

Oh dear. That's the reason I'm likely to never have a house rabbit again. As they get into the habit of getting into trouble no matter what you do for them :)

Helen xx

Oh dear. That's the reason I'm likely to never have a house rabbit again. As they get into the habit of getting into trouble no matter what you do for them :)

Helen xx

Aww, I know but I couldn't put him outside, he's an anti-social ****** and refuses to bond, so he'd be lonely all alone outside. Plus I'd miss him.

But this does not change the fact that I am currently not talking to him. *hmf*

this is why i have to watch my 2 like a hawk :roll: does the carpet need replacing right away or can it be done at a later date?? my landlord said as long as the place is how we rented it at the begining when we eventually leave they understand that there might be wear and tear x

this is why i have to watch my 2 like a hawk :roll: does the carpet need replacing right away or can it be done at a later date?? my landlord said as long as the place is how we rented it at the begining when we eventually leave they understand that there might be wear and tear x

We are leaving on the 23rd, ie. next week, so it needs sorting asap. I tried repairing it myself with offcuts, looks pretty decent, you wouldn't tell, but one bit is under a door, and when you open the door it pulls it up.

We are leaving on the 23rd, ie. next week, so it needs sorting asap. I tried repairing it myself with offcuts, looks pretty decent, you wouldn't tell, but one bit is under a door, and when you open the door it pulls it up.

could you open the door and then sort out the carpet and keep the door then open?

how long till you get your depsot back? i was really lucky with my last landlord he gave us our deposit the same day we left x

could you open the door and then sort out the carpet and keep the door then open?

how long till you get your depsot back? i was really lucky with my last landlord he gave us our deposit the same day we left x

Not sure. It's in the tenancy deposit scheme, so I think they get confirmation from the landlord to release the amount, then we get a cheque in the post. So even though we will be there at cheque-out when they decide if there's any damage etc, we won't get the money for probably at least a week :(

Have you trying glueing the carpet down at the corner? copydex fabric glue worked well on our carpet- i can even hoover over it and it doesnt move!

Have you trying glueing the carpet down at the corner? copydex fabric glue worked well on our carpet- i can even hoover over it and it doesnt move!

I was going to suggest this - worth a try!
Norty bunneh :no:

Oh no :(
We're quite fortunate. Our landlord said he wanted to put new carpets in before we moved in but we asked if he could hold off on it because of Buckley potentially digging and he's excluding the carpets from the whole deposit business as when we move out he's going to replace them anyway :D

I'm not really up on carpet terminology but our carpet has really long strands and Daisy made some bits bare. We just cut out small squares of carpet and stuck them in the holes. This worked well on ours because the carpet has long strandy things so it blended well. We cut a little bit from the carpet in the built in wardrobe and the landlord didnt notice!

Oh dear. :( Bunnies seem to pick their moments. :roll:

Spenser lives outside, but I would bring him into my bedroom if it was too wet for him to go in his run.... until an unfortunate wire-chewing incident last week. Now he goes in the summerhouse if it is wet (no wires there).

I'm not really up on carpet terminology but our carpet has really long strands and Daisy made some bits bare. We just cut out small squares of carpet and stuck them in the holes. This worked well on ours because the carpet has long strandy things so it blended well. We cut a little bit from the carpet in the built in wardrobe and the landlord didnt notice!

That's what we tried to do, exactly the same, cut a bit from the fitted wardrobe and used it to fill the holes, then where you could see the join we tried to stick fibres over the gap, but it was impossible to get it to sit in loops like the carpet does, so we ended up with obvious fluffy bits at the joins.

Am actually on the verge of crying right now. My best friend had a baby in March and I saw her every fortnight for the first six weeks, but now haven't seen her since May. I miss my bestie loads, plus I really wanted to see this one grow up as I didn't know her when she had the first one. I feel like I've missed loads :(

Just remember that you probably notice the fluffy bits more because you know where they are and you know its a repair job- maybe get a friend to have a look without telling them and see if they notice?

I really feel for you - that the bun has damaged the carpet and money is tight. But he has damaged the carpet. It is simply not fair to hide the damage and expect the landlord to bear the cost on your behalf. A couple of my friends rent out good quality accommodation (their homes while they are posted abroad) and they take pride in the standard of accommodation they provide for their tenants; it's not on for tenants to hide damage.

I suppose I feel that you can't be selective about when you apply values and standards. On the one hand there's no point in being a good person and doing your best for animals if on the other hand you're happy to hide damage from a landlord especially when doing so, you're causing damage elsewhere. Carpet chomping bunny isn't fair wear and tear! ;)

Hope it works out for you, though. Good luck with your move.

Naughty bunnies - thats why I lost my £700 deposit on my last house - Sooty and Oreo destroyed it!! :oops:

Naughty bunnies - thats why I lost my £700 deposit on my last house - Sooty and Oreo destroyed it!! :oops:

Exactly, it was my mum that pointed out that they could decide to get the most expensive carpets they could find and deduct that from the deposit, so better for us to spend £190 getting the carpet replaced, and still get the £1050 deposit back!

Back