• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When bonding.....

To bond you need a small space, letting them free range in the garden isn't a small space.

Even if you wanted to give them a small space in the garden, you'd be confusing them and stressing them out as their environments keep changing.

:wave:

is it okay to let them run around in the garden free ranging together? Supervised of course.

No :wave:

You're asking for a problem unfortunately if you do that.

Keep it small and only extend a little (maybe by 2 sq ft) after ~48 hrs of no quarrel. Then follow same procedure for at least a week :)

Although, everybun is different, this seems to be a pretty good basis to work upon.

To bond you need a small space, letting them free range in the garden isn't a small space.

Even if you wanted to give them a small space in the garden, you'd be confusing them and stressing them out as their environments keep changing.

:wave:

If I remember rightly, you learned this lesson the hard way.

I've been putting them in a playpen together on the patio each evening, but when OH was cleaning them out last night he let them both out.....I didn't think he should have.

I am hoping to bring them inside at the end of the week and keep them together for 48 hours to see how things go. I'll be sleeping next to them.

So far it's been going well......but we'll see!

I've been putting them in a playpen together on the patio each evening, but when OH was cleaning them out last night he let them both out.....I didn't think he should have.

I am hoping to bring them inside at the end of the week and keep them together for 48 hours to see how things go. I'll be sleeping next to them.

So are you dating them, then putting them back in the shed TOGETHER? :?

Can you explain EXACTLY what you are doing ?

I'm giving them time together each day in a playpen, then they go back into their own hutches/runs......I thought this was right for slow bonding?

I think it's best to leave them in the house ..
For 72 hours.. Without increasing any space.

You can't keep moving them place to place. :wave:

I'm giving them time together each day in a playpen, then they go back into their own hutches/runs......I thought this was right for slow bonding?

If you think they're getting on good and you think their personalities match then why don't you bond them and get it over with :)
Depending if you're free for 3 days to supervise

Have I misunderstood - are you keeping them separately and then putting them together each evening? Think once you start bonding, you keep them together (after a period of keeping cages/hutches side by side).

Oh no I'm so confused! :?

I brought a book, and it said that if I wanted to 'slow bond' them, they should be put in together for a 'date' each day and then seperated again.....is this not right?

Oh no I'm so confused! :?

I brought a book, and it said that if I wanted to 'slow bond' them, they should be put in together for a 'date' each day and then seperated again.....is this not right?

Yes, that's the date method, and it's only really any good for bunnies who 'need' slow bonding.

If you have a solid 5-7 days, would it be possible to go for the 'full bond' ?

Ive not done slow -dating/bonding before...but did think that the process was short dates every day - always ending on a good note...so before any tension came up etc. and to start for 10-15 mins and gradually increase over a few days until they can spend a half hour together...then the following week work till an hour etc...its a slow process and one which needs to always end on a good note else the buns remember it being bad last time they last saw the other bun.

I may be in-correct but thats slow bonding as far as I know.

As for increasing the space....well - it can all go wrong and end up withinjured buns...so best to try not let them have that until you are certain their hierachy has been worked out.

I think the excitement of being in a larger space lets them move and run and this can sometimes spark off circling and fighting. It can be intentional and other times they just get caught up...

Ive bonded in a small space and increased it slowly after one week...this was a trio bonding and the space was 4X2ft....after the first week another 2ft were added...so very gradual....goodluck!:wave:

Yes, that's the date method, and it's only really any good for bunnies who 'need' slow bonding.

If you have a solid 5-7 days, would it be possible to go for the 'full bond' ?

I would love to just get them bonded and in together. They have had hutches and runs next to each other since May, so they know each other 'through' the wire pretty well. I've been doing the date method for a couple of weeks now, and was going to bring them indoors and do the full bond this weekend, over 4-5 days. Would this be any good? I have a small playpen that I've been using outside, but could easily bring it indoors.

I'd be grateful for any advice! :wave:

When I was bonding the quad I let them outside one day in a slightly bigger space. It helped them to let off some steam and there wasn't one hint of an upset outside. So in the right circumstances I think a bit of time in a larger space is good, I wouldn't go as big as a whole garden though.

When I was bonding the quad I let them outside one day in a slightly bigger space. It helped them to let off some steam and there wasn't one hint of an upset outside. So in the right circumstances I think a bit of time in a larger space is good, I wouldn't go as big as a whole garden though.

This is what I did with my three, and honestly, I wouldn't have done it any other way! They completely love each other.

I would love to just get them bonded and in together. They have had hutches and runs next to each other since May, so they know each other 'through' the wire pretty well. I've been doing the date method for a couple of weeks now, and was going to bring them indoors and do the full bond this weekend, over 4-5 days. Would this be any good? I have a small playpen that I've been using outside, but could easily bring it indoors.

I'd be grateful for any advice! :wave:

If you've got 4-5 days this coming weekend then I would suggest bringing them indoors with the playpen and getting it over and done with all in one go. The thing with slow bonding is that you end up going back almost to square 1 every time you start, because they will all have gone back to their own territories and re-established themselves as single bunnies in their own space each time. It sounds as if things are going ok with their slow bonding, so if you've got 4-5 days this weekend, that should hopefully be enough that you can get the process finished. Basically treat it as if you're starting the bond from scratch, but instead of physically separating them, let them hump each other (within reason) if that's what they need to do, but if they start to circle, fight or hump incessantly, or on the head, then gently hold the buns apart for the count of 10...but don't completely separate them unless it's obvious that they're properly fighting each other and won't calm down when you hold them apart. By the sound of things, it's been going fine in your slow sessions, so hopefully they are already a little used to each other and that may make it easier - but don't count on it, as it will speed up things that might have happened anyway in your slow approach so also don't be surprised if it is different if they stay together.

I would absolutely not advise letting them out in a large space together at this stage. I'm sure plenty of people have done it and not had any problems (and it sounds as if this is the case with you when your hubby let them out) but I also know of plenty of poeple who have done it and it has resulted in irrepairable arguments between the buns. For the sake of a couple of weeks more confined than normal, it's just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

Good luck :)

Back