• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Family day out - the day after Skyes Spay!!

Not sure what to do. I cant not go, my family will be annoyed as we really need to spend some time together and we cant cancel now because everything has been payed for - were going to Flamingo Land.

Skye is being spayed on the 24th, the day before we go out for the day. I wouldnt be quite so worried, but wondergirl and xxranxx, the 2 people i would usually get to keep an eye on her are both on holiday, and im actually bunny sitting for wondergirl!

The day after shes likely to still be a bit groggy and quiet, and possibly still not eating. I have no idea what to do, it wouldnt be so bad if it was half a day, but its going to be an early start and we'll be home lateish too.

Any ideas what i should do? My worst fear is that i *think* shes ok, but i come home to find a bunny in stasis or that she pulls at her wound. I also cant cancel the spay either.

Why can't you cancel the spay? :wave: I think its probably best that you're with her, or somebody is anyway. Do you have any family/ friends that could come look after her for you? :)

Why can't you cancel the spay? :wave: I think its probably best that you're with her, or somebody is anyway. Do you have any family/ friends that could come look after her for you? :)

Unless i get it moved forward a day or 2, but Wednesday is the day my vet does surgery. I cant cancel it because im having to fit it around having the bunny lodgers.

I'd try and postpone too, I had to leave Joejoe when he got neutered as i'd no more holidays left that year and he had to be done (he was humping my arms and legs nonstop :oops:) and it was awful leaving him, I felt so guilty and I think in the end i managed to leave work early to go home as i was so worried, you won't enjoy your day out worrying about what you might come home to, I'm sure if you rebook another date at the same time the vets wouldn't charge you or anything

Could you ask if she could stay at the vets another day? I know you'd miss her but if your vets are anything like mine you'd be confident that she'd be in the best possible place to recover. At least she'd have constant monitoring, temp regulated housing and a massive range of support available if she wasn't eating or pulling at stiches. My vets charge £14 per day for hospitalisation which I think is a real bargain.

Oh no!
Can you not arrange the spey for the day after the family trip?

Wednesday is the day my vet does surgery.

And if i have it the day after then ill still have the same problem because im at work saturday.

Could you ask if she could stay at the vets another day? I know you'd miss her but if your vets are anything like mine you'd be confident that she'd be in the best possible place to recover. At least she'd have constant monitoring, temp regulated housing and a massive range of support available if she wasn't eating or pulling at stiches. My vets charge £14 per day for hospitalisation which I think is a real bargain.

I could, but theres noone in over night, so she would be left.

I could ask a family friend. She works at the corner shop but is in and out all day and she loves rabbits and has no other pets anymore. I dont like to put on her though.

Last edited:
Surley if your bunny sitting for someone else - you def. just cant go? may have not read it all properly - so dont mind me if Ive got it wrong...but if thats not an issue...and no one else can see to her...then Id either board her at the vet and collect her the next day so at least she is in experienced hands and has someone keeping an eye on her...or Id move her appointment. Its either that or you dont go....frustrating when family dont understand....:?

aah sorry -just read there is no one at the vets over night. :(

I'm sure your friend wouldn't think you're putting on her. Just tell her you owe her next time she needs a favour.
I think I'd rather do that if it's definitely Jane you want to do the op.

aww i wish i could help :( i get home on the 25th but not till about 4pm lol

Awww, well if push comes to shove and i cant have it brought forward, ill see if it can be done Thursday, then beg your mum to bring her home with her.

TBH though, i probably wont go at this rate. Shame, because ive been looking forward to it for ages, but parents didnt tell me it was this month! They will just have to get over it.

I got the appointment for Tuesday now. Still not ideal as i have a hospital app in Newcastle at 9.00 so i wont be able to take her in, but ill be there to collect her and keep an eye on her all day Wednesday.

Back