• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you pronounce 'caecotrophes'?

AnnieElms

Mama Doe
I thought it was pronounced: keek-o-troffs

But at the vet's the other day, I was trying to explain that a bun had left a few of her caecotrophes, and the nurse was looking at me weirdly, then she said, 'oh you mean caecotrophes (seek-o-troffs)!'

:oops::oops:

I say:
keek-o-troffs
&
keeks (caecs)

Is it meant to be:
seek-o-troffs
&
seeks

?? :oops::oops:

I did alevel biology and whilst learning about the intestines and digestives system many would pronounce caecum (seeek-uk) as cake-um...

Its said the way the vets say it :)
I usually just say 'night time droppings' as otherwise my family go mad at me saying I'm too posh haha

I thought it was pronounced: keek-o-troffs

But at the vet's the other day, I was trying to explain that a bun had left a few of her caecotrophes, and the nurse was looking at me weirdly, then she said, 'oh you mean caecotrophes (seek-o-troffs)!'

:oops::oops:

I say:
keek-o-troffs
&
keeks (caecs)

Is it meant to be:
seek-o-troffs
&
seeks

?? :oops::oops:

:thumb: Yep And good for you for sticking with the English spelling CAE :D
It's bloomin confusing, cos when we learned Latin we used the hard K sound for C then when you get into vets & meds we use the soft S sound for C. :?

Last edited:
Thanks RU!

I'm not very good at this sometimes. I always know exactly what I mean, but all the words for the drugs and illnesses always come out wrong :lol:

Bordatella (which my bun has just had isolated) comes out as bortadella :lol:

My vet must think I am hilarious. I *think* he mostly gets what I mean though :oops:

Thanks RU!

I'm not very good at this sometimes. I always know exactly what I mean, but all the words for the drugs and illnesses always come out wrong :lol:

Bordatella (which my bun has just had isolated) comes out as bortadella :lol:

My vet must think I am hilarious. I *think* he mostly gets what I mean though :oops:

I've just realised I've always said Bortadella :oops:

I say "those Pooh things" then Ian the vet grins and says Seecotrophs!!
I adore my vet,if anybun doesnt know!!:love::love::love:;)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I also got confused and always worried Id look stupid at the vets....but said it anyways...always a different way....but usually seekotrophs!:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

I had to re-read that. I was sure it says 'hairy' :shock:

getImage

:shock::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:
Back