• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

VHD Out Break 2011

Raven Rexs

Mama Doe
Thought everyone should know there is a confirmed out break in Burgess Hiill, West Sussex and an unconfirmed one in Nottingham area.
The virus can survive for up to 105 days in the environment, but this is at low temperatures , with a sliding scale of downward viral survival duration at higher temperatures. So this is the best time to have an outbreak

Last edited:
Havent been told that as its unconfirmed.
but have just had a mail that theres also confirmed cases in Warwick and Burton on Trent to

This is a 'First Alert' from the RWA received today:

Myxi continues to rear its ugly head around the UK and I doubt it will ever go away. Reports come in daily from members.

VHD is the silent killer, but as our leaflet explains it is “Deadly, But Preventable “

In the last 4 weeks a confirmed report came in of a death from VHD in Burgess Hill West Sussex and from Burton On Trent and Warwick.. There is an unconfirmed report in the Nottingham area.

The virus can survive for up to 105 days in the environment, but this is at low temperatures , with a sliding scale of downward viral survival duration at higher temperatures. So this is the best time to have an outbreak. If your rabbits are not vaccinated, and want your bunnies to live a happy and healthy life, please have them vaccinated

RWA/F member and veterinary nurse Laura Slinger who works for the practice that admitted the VHD case told us . The VHD case was a 6 year old english butterfly, never vaccinated, found her Saturday morning collapsed and twitching - rushed in, bleeding from eyes, vulva and anus, abdomen full of blood - it really has hit home how many people continue to say 'ah vaccination its not necessary anymore' - it is the first VHD and I think the 4th domestic myxi case in my 12 year career so far, just terrible, really affected me! I'm not as tough as everyone says

Heya, definitely confirmed in Burton-on-Trent, Myxi too. Laura Slinger (from Jack's-Jane's post) is my boss. The owner of the first myxi case brought in another bun too the other day and it has since died (they were only in contact for half an hour). Please please vaccinate xx

Heya, definitely confirmed in Burton-on-Trent, Myxi too. Laura Slinger (from Jack's-Jane's post) is my boss. The owner of the first myxi case brought in another bun too the other day and it has since died (they were only in contact for half an hour). Please please vaccinate xx

:cry:

Back