• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Care After Neutering

MikePalmer88

Alpha Buck
Due to pick my little man up around 4ish from the Vets after his neutering op

Should i clean out his cage or leave it as it was ??

Anything i need to do for him really...never been in this situation before

What do you bed him on?

If you have any towels, or vetbed, then put this down for comfort and prevent irritation of the operation site. Avoid putting down hay or straw for a week or so. You can use newspaper or soft litter, but avoid sawdust/shavings.

He usually beds on newspaper (shoves all the straw out the way)

He has alot of straw down to cover the newspaper but i mentioned in my last thread i think he has got mights from a bale i brought so i was planning on ditching that.

I have plenty of hay so was planning on using that as his bed

or do you think i should get something from P@H before he comes home?

He usually beds on newspaper (shoves all the straw out the way)

He has alot of straw down to cover the newspaper but i mentioned in my last thread i think he has got mights from a bale i brought so i was planning on ditching that.

I have plenty of hay so was planning on using that as his bed

or do you think i should get something from P@H before he comes home?

I'd just use newspaper for the moment to let his operation site heal before putting hay down. (obviously put hay in a hay rack or ball for him to eat). Is he kept indoors?

I don't think it matters about cleaning it more than you normally would. I would put a old towel down over the newspaper if you can and keep the hay in a litter tray or even a bowl. That's so he can still eat it but he's not likely to lie on it and spike his wound. :)

Keeps lost of treats around to tempt him to eat if he doesn't want to. I always like to take pain relief home too, to give for a couple of days afterwards. :wave:

I would clean it out, the normal way you usually do, no need to do anything extra. It will just make it easier for you to keep an eye on how much poos hes making after the operation.

The evt should go over everything with you when you pick him up.

Keep everything nice and relaxed and let him settle in his cage and rest, so don't be taking him out and that.
Have plenty of hay for him to eat, and stock up on his favourite vegetables, also I would get some baby food (all vegetables obviously, no meat :p ) incase he doesn't eat straight away, some bunnies will eat a bit of this.

When you pick him up, I would get a sirrange or two of the vets and some recovery food and get them to teach you how to handfeed him incase you need too.
If he doesn't eat by the morning then you will need to give the vets a call :)

Good lcuk, and if you have anymore questions when he comes here, just ask and I'm sure the people here can offer advice.

Vets just rung letting me know he is doing fine and will be ready to be picked up between 4.30-5

Really suprised they called was a nice touch - when i saw an 0161 number i didnt recognise i thought the worst :( but thats all good

Ive just made his cage up with his litter tray in his usual corner...but with sawdust (i always use this) but noticed someone earlier suggested not using it???

Will this be ok??

Ive set him an old towel (he usually trys to hump fluffy things - hope thats stopped!!) and lots of his favourite treats around that area...if he doesnt take his favourite wild berry treat i will be very suprised

Vets just rung letting me know he is doing fine and will be ready to be picked up between 4.30-5

Really suprised they called was a nice touch - when i saw an 0161 number i didnt recognise i thought the worst :( but thats all good

Ive just made his cage up with his litter tray in his usual corner...but with sawdust (i always use this) but noticed someone earlier suggested not using it???

Will this be ok??

Ive set him an old towel (he usually trys to hump fluffy things - hope thats stopped!!) and lots of his favourite treats around that area...if he doesnt take his favourite wild berry treat i will be very suprised

Great that hes doing well, when you pick him up ask has he ate anything and has he made any poos yet.
I personaly would just use newspaper in the litter tray, Shavings actually aren't recomended for rabbits anyhow, they can cause respiratory problems so it may be better to stop using them altogether.
For the towel, I would just lay it flat so he can lie on top of it, but if he starts digging remove it as it may irritate the wound.

ETA: What sort of a hutch/cage is he in?

Great that hes doing well, when you pick him up ask has he ate anything and has he made any poos yet.
I personaly would just use newspaper in the litter tray, Shavings actually aren't recomended for rabbits anyhow, they can cause respiratory problems so it may be better to stop using them altogether.
For the towel, I would just lay it flat so he can lie on top of it, but if he starts digging remove it as it may irritate the wound.

ETA: What sort of a hutch/cage is he in?

Here is Mr Schnapples cage

cage.jpg

When ive just put newspaper in his litter tray he just digs/rips/tears he loves doing that to newspaper and i think he got confused with it and thought id put him a toy in the litter tray.

What else would you recommend

personally i would ditch the shavings and replace with litter instead as it is much better, for you use and for bunny.

see how he is with the towel, might try to eat it...

personally i would ditch the shavings and replace with litter instead as it is much better, for you use and for bunny.

see how he is with the towel, might try to eat it...

Would one of the "beds" be a good idea??

Im in the process of building a new big condo for my spare room so will be getting a bed or two for in there in a couple of weeks.

Could get it now for him!

Well then maybe you could get some carefresh or megazorb for the litter tray instead? Like I said wood shavings are dangerous for them.

Also I would reccomend to have a look at this link http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=294140 Its all about housing for rabbits, as generally the common indoor pet store cage is far too small for a rabbit to live in.

P.S love his name ;)

Thanks! :)

Like i say im in the proccess of building a "huge" indoor open play condo for him (and potentially a lady friend in some months time)

Also do you know if P@H stock megazorb as it is the only pet shop in location

EDIT: Would megazorb be suitable for my little hammy too hehe

it depends on the bunny, my Barney has two little beds which he loves to sleep in but i know that my other 2 would destroy them in an hour, i know this because of what they are like with towels and other soft things.

my personal experience: i started off with shavings as i had been told to use them and had always used them for other pets but have never looked back since i changed to litter and straw. yes its better for the bunny but SO much less messy. Litter also absorbs the smell :)

Like i say im in the proccess of building a "huge" indoor open play condo for him (and potentially a lady friend in some months time)

i think maybe some stock carefresh but not sure about megazorb, your best bet is to go to a horse feed supplier or farm shop that sells horse feed and hay etc.

if you cant get to one, or order online, then you can use wood pellet litter. this is what i use and its fine for bunny although megazorb and carefresh are said to be better by peeps on here. the wood pellet litter is sold as cat litter but is fine for rabbits.

Thats great news, I'm sorry I didn't see that post before I made mine, I think we were making them at the same time :p But thats fantastic that you will be getting him bigger accomodation.
Megazorb wouldn't be at a pet store, its for horses so a horse supply shop or something of that sorts. Carefresh is avaiable at pet stores though.

Megazorb for hammys? I'm unsure but I do think so but maybe someone could confirm this?

He's home!

Got the carefresh (for now) from P@H

Vet was extremley friendly and helpful - gave me lots of information regarding how the surgery went

I asked about Pain Killers and he said he didnt need them as he has been quite active and eating all ready and no thumping or screams

He is scheduled back in for Thursday for his post op checks.

He is really dossile at the moment sitting on his towel resting his head on the hay bowl i put and when i picked him up to get him out of his box he laid really flat unlike he normally does when i pick him up.

Everything seem fine??

He's home!

Got the carefresh (for now) from P@H

Vet was extremley friendly and helpful - gave me lots of information regarding how the surgery went

I asked about Pain Killers and he said he didnt need them as he has been quite active and eating all ready and no thumping or screams

He is scheduled back in for Thursday for his post op checks.

He is really dossile at the moment sitting on his towel resting his head on the hay bowl i put and when i picked him up to get him out of his box he laid really flat unlike he normally does when i pick him up.

Everything seem fine??

I imagine he'll be a little quiet until tomorrow afternoon. You might see some very small, dark poos as well. As long as he eats you should be okay. :)

Megazorb wouldn't be at a pet store, its for horses so a horse supply shop or something of that sorts. Carefresh is avaiable at pet stores though.

Megazorb for hammys? I'm unsure but I do think so but maybe someone could confirm this?

I tried carefresh for one of my hamsters once, but I quickly removed it when she stuffed it in her pouches and piled it in her food store corner!

Back