PDA

View Full Version : do you take your buns to the vets together?

nessar
15-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Questions:

Do you take your buns to the vets for normal appointments together?

When one bun has to go under GA, do you get the vets to admit the other as well, so they are there when the other wakes up?

And your reasons why please :wave: I would make a poll but looks like theyve been disabled? :?

GrahamL
15-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Yes - always together (unless its an emergency and t'other bun does not want to be caught :roll:).

B&G for example don't do well apart, and its always a comfort for a friend to be there when you wake up :)

For any appts they go together, whoever it is thats going.

yvette
15-08-2011, 12:20 PM
yep,yep and yep, but one bun having GA hasnt happened yet!!:shock:
Its for familiar surroundings.To aid recovery.
And to not break the bond.

ripminnie
15-08-2011, 12:23 PM
yep,yep and yep, but one bun having GA hasnt happened yet!!:shock:
Its for familiar surroundings.To aid recovery.
And to not break the bond.

This :wave:

nursecroft
15-08-2011, 12:24 PM
yes always :wave:

Pie
15-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Not currentlty because they are not bonded. But they did go together (in seperate carriers) 2 weeks ago for their Myxi and VHD.
When they are bonded - yes of course together. :)

donnamt
15-08-2011, 12:38 PM
yes for routine stuff like injections and claw clippings. - reason i have no choice if i want to look after my buns properly and i probably find it more stressful than the buns so it makes sense to do less trips by taking them together.

no for illness of just one. - reason, it stems back to when i had pearl she used to get super stressed going to the vets so i used to leave her at home when alvin was poorly, then when she got ill i didnt see why alvin needed to get dragged to the vets risking stasis if they didnt need to see him. the bond was totally unaffected by one going away and coming back either later or the next day. Holly and Alvin have been together over a year now so i have no reason to doubt the strength of the bond and should one get ill that bun will go the vets alone.

i do keep them together 24/7 even for a vets visit and one dont need to be seen when its a new bond and im not sure how they will react to separation.

Rodentranch
15-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes, (in fact I have three going in for their Myxos today but little Herbalicious will be going too just in case being separated breaks the bond (although taking them all breaks my back lol)

Mackers
15-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Yes - always (unless the 'partner' is particularly stressed about travelling and to take them would do more harm than good).

rachglos
15-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Yes they go together - jabs, teeth or just general check ups etc..

They were seperated for 3 days when Lavender was in the hospital but we were very lucky that no bond was broken.. Simba greated her with lots of running and binking & then would not let her out his sign for about 5 days.. :love: True Love!

catxx
15-08-2011, 01:04 PM
yes, Pat has to go everywhere with Bob, Pat is usually the healthy one :roll: I feel happier that their together snuggled in the carrier than stressed out and split up!

helgalush
15-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Yes they go together for routine appointments, and they go together if one of them has to stay in for the day.

xEmily
15-08-2011, 01:27 PM
No, both my buns are terrified of going, Oscar turns into a quivering wreck, literally shaking so much and so I don't bring him when I take Polly. Polly goes all the time for her ears so I wouldn't want to put her through another trip if Oscar needed to go.

For myxi and VHD then they go together.

LoopyLouie
15-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Yes :) for pretty much everything, except emergencies.

Tracy
15-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Mine always go together, including emergencies.

Hoppit!
15-08-2011, 02:00 PM
When Ginger Bun was still with us they woudl always go together. Even whe Pickles didn't need any treatment at all, he was there foor Ginger to look after him. I think it's really, really important that they stay together. Apart from anything else when you bring back a rabbit smelling of vets it can cause fights.

MichelleGsPets
15-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Never had to take Dexter and Marley to the vets since they were bonded, but if they ever need to go then their buddy will be sure to go with them.
Unsure on what my vets would do, if one of them ever had to stay would they keep the other too but I would ask any I'm pretty sure they would allow me to have the two of them there.

As for Cooper and Willow, both of them are single buns.

Snowy
15-08-2011, 03:34 PM
Yes, always, even if one of my group of five need to go then they all go, gets a bot crowded sometimes:lol:

MichelleGsPets
15-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Yes, always, even if one of my group of five need to go then they all go, gets a bot crowded sometimes:lol:

:shock: :lol:

thenamesJT
15-08-2011, 03:47 PM
They both go together when their vaccs are due.

I took Rodge with his previous bonded partner when she went into stasis. The vets had to seperate them to monitor her food intake....she then passed away a few hours later. Rodge was very traumatised after this, I dont think I'd do it again if one was extremely ill.

nessar
15-08-2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks guys :wave:

The reason I wanted to know your reasoning was because Annabelle is very skittish, and I know shes terrified at the vets because I can pick her up, stroke her, whatever and she doesnt protest, unlike at home!

Its always Barney needing to see the vet, but hes fine till we get in the room, he sometimes flops! whereas shes hunched up in the back of the carrier the whole time, not eating.

I think I will ask tonight if when Barney goes in for his dental she can come too, but I hope its not too much for her. I guess only trying it will tell.

I dont think she'd attack him if he came home smelling of vet, shes way too sweet and submissive and they had such a ridiculously easy bonding, but I think he'd be quite upset waking up on his own, and she'd be quite upset alone all day (I'll likely be at work).

donnamt
15-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I dont think she'd attack him if he came home smelling of vet, shes way too sweet and submissive and they had such a ridiculously easy bonding

Pearl used to lick the smell of vets of Alvin, from head to tail :love:

When pearl came home from the vets Alvin would buzz her :D

nessar
15-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Pearl used to lick the smell of vets of Alvin, from head to tail :love:

When pearl came home from the vets Alvin would buzz her :D

haha, bless them. my two dont groom or buzz or hump so I dont know what they would do... my guess is she'd run over and touch noses with him as if to say 'are you okay?!' like she does after I do his bum checks. I can see it in her eyes, she thinks I'm torturing him :lol: she sometimes does the same after I've been stroking him a lot!

donnamt
15-08-2011, 04:33 PM
haha, bless them. my two dont groom or buzz or hump so I dont know what they would do... my guess is she'd run over and touch noses with him as if to say 'are you okay?!' like she does after I do his bum checks. I can see it in her eyes, she thinks I'm torturing him :lol: she sometimes does the same after I've been stroking him a lot!

:lol: :lol: :lol: thats really sweet. when an RUer came to my house to cut pearls claws for me Alvin sat on top of the carrier in their room glaring at us and protecting her from his safe spot... bunnies are so funny :love:

Elena
15-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Yup I take them together, the only time I would consider not would be if Nutmeg needed to see the vet on her own as Smudge is such a stress-bun but when that happened recently I ended up taking him anyway and he was ok.

Angie65
15-08-2011, 05:11 PM
together - apart from the group - then I would just pick somebun to go with them - based on how stressed the other bun would get. eg - Flint doesn't travel well, so although him & Rosie are closer bonded, she's had to go to the vets with Sugar:D

chelle
15-08-2011, 05:12 PM
yeah me too...my girls are seperate at the moment and have turns with Archie...the girls were due their VHD a little while ago - so whoever was paired with Archie that day were in one carrier and the other girl in another carrier....Archie just came for the ride! Bless him...he is not that keen...but just flops out...think they all get abit hot when travelling and abit worried...and def. feel safer when they have each other to snuggle up to.

chelle
15-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks guys :wave:

The reason I wanted to know your reasoning was because Annabelle is very skittish, and I know shes terrified at the vets because I can pick her up, stroke her, whatever and she doesnt protest, unlike at home!

Its always Barney needing to see the vet, but hes fine till we get in the room, he sometimes flops! whereas shes hunched up in the back of the carrier the whole time, not eating.

I think I will ask tonight if when Barney goes in for his dental she can come too, but I hope its not too much for her. I guess only trying it will tell.

I dont think she'd attack him if he came home smelling of vet, shes way too sweet and submissive and they had such a ridiculously easy bonding, but I think he'd be quite upset waking up on his own, and she'd be quite upset alone all day (I'll likely be at work).

Id make sure they have their own blankets with their smells on them to take with...it makes them feel alot safer and some familiarity.:D

Also - check that they will be in the same cage afterwards...or will they only put her in withBarney once he wakes up? if she is by herself...for how long will it be for? the whole time or till he has eaten, pooped, wee;d etc.? Will they be next to each other with no visual or with visual etc....my girls were seperate for their spays but I think they could either smell or see each other. No point in Annabelle being terrified by herself with no visual or smells of Barney etc and for him like wise...you'll know whats best. if she can go in with hi and will only be seperate for a short while then it may be fine for them.;)

nessar
15-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Well I think annabella must have read this thread, as I am currently at the vet with just barney! She hid behind the wardrobe and refused to come out! She's not stupid!

He seems a bit quiet, but is nomming fine so must be fairly comfortable. Normally he likes me to put my hand in and give him a fuss, but he's not bothered today! We shall see how he reacts when we are actually in there- waiting outside as it is packed!

nessar
15-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Well that was uneventful! We got back and she came over, Barney got out the carrier and hopped right past her, Annabella jumped in the carrier and started nomming what he had left. Charming!

chelle
16-08-2011, 11:11 AM
oh good...glad it wnet ok - she was obviously very scared to go and was happy to see him come back...with extra noms!:lol::love:

bensonlola
16-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Benson and Lola's song.....

Woh oh woh oh stuck like glue
You and me baby we're stuck like glue.....

Always together!!:D

janban
11-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I always take mine together as it's reassuring for them to have their companion with them and when Coco went in to be spayed, Smudge went too and was in the pen in the vets waiting for her when she came back from recovery :)) also it prevents 'de-bonding' which can sometimes happen if you take one on their own and they come back with different smells on them as they recognise each other from their smell :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

tulsi
11-12-2013, 07:36 PM
This thread is two years old!

Mine go together too.

janban
13-12-2013, 03:34 AM
Lol yeah I noticed after I'd replied :/ I'm obviously not that observant :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Pebblesetc
13-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Always. If Helena or Buckley ever needed to be admitted I would insist on them being together. Helena *needs* Buckley when we travel anywhere. She can't cope without him there to reassure her. He'd groom her and keep her warm and stamp his feet if she wasn't doing well. She would snuggle him if he were recovering from an op and also seek attention if he was getting worse.

Poo wouldn't be an issue as it's blindingly obvious whose poo is whose. Helena's poos are the size of Buckley's eyes.

They don't just love each other, they need each other.

DwarfBuns
13-12-2013, 01:24 PM
I used to, before Frasier passed away. Niles hates the carrier & the car, so it was nice for them to snuggle together. Now Niles has a teddy in the carrier with him.. Until he & Daphne are bonded (hopefully!)