• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

We climbed Brean Down at the weekend & visited the bird garden :D (PIC HEAVY!)

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
We climbed the 200 odd steps to get to the top. Then walked the whole length of the down and we saw cows, lots of wild rabbit latrines and warren entrances :love: but no bunnies, it was about 2:30pm, so probably fast asleep!

I can't believe we live so close to one of the most beautiful areas in the country - this is 5 minutes drive from our house!

I was really happy with some of the photos - photography outdoors is a LOT better than indoors, in my opinion, it's a lot easier to photograph in natural light!

Here are some photos of our lovely afternoon!

The view from the top of the down, across Brean and Berrow;

IMG_0539Small.jpg

IMG_0540Small.jpg

IMG_0544Small.jpg

From the other side of the down, looking towards Weston Super Mare (You can see the new Pier!)

IMG_0541Small.jpg

IMG_0543Small.jpg

We found a random cow, just sat on its own;

IMG_0547Small.jpg

IMG_0546Small.jpg

IMG_0545Small.jpg

After travelling all the way down to the old fort at the other end of the down, and back round we walked down and had a visit to the bird gardens. They are currently building some other enclosures for the birds in the smaller, older accomodations, but all the same, it was really nice, and it only cost £2.95 per adult to get in and as we were looking for a free/cheap day - it was awesome!

Some pics of the birds we found (sorry, i didnt think to take photos of the name plates with the breeds etc :oops:)

These guys were AWESOME. They were so talkative and said "HELLO!" as you approached, and "BYE BYE!" when you walked off.

IMG_0600Small.jpg

This one kept playing peekaboo with my OH;

IMG_0591Small.jpg

IMG_0627Small.jpg

IMG_0621Small.jpg

IMG_0653Small.jpg

IMG_0604Small.jpg

IMG_0619Small.jpg

Nice photos!
Those birds look in really good condition! :love: :love: :love: :love:

They all were, really good condition from the little i know.

There was one bird, same as the white crested one, who was obviously bored and had been feather pulling and had a little bald patch on his stomach.

I mentioned it to the staff and they were aware and he was moving into the first newly renovated enclosure in a couple of weeks, with new enrichment ideas etc. It was good they were aware and were acting on it :thumb:

I was really chuffed with the photos, some of them have an annoying blur in patches, where i was doing my best of getting the camera's focus point beyond the mesh and bars, i think i did relatively well considering it was my outdoor shoot!

Actually I sometimes use a bit of flash outdoors, just to brighten up the shadows ;) A reflector works better but it's not always practical!

Back